PDA

View Full Version : CR80R shooting black goo, now wont start.

JOHNDOE83
03-24-2013, 03:27 PM
A cr80r that I sold yesterday started shooting out black thick goo from the pipe and died now it wont start.

I told the guy that maybe he ran it to rich and fouled the plug out.

He said he cleaned the plug, now it wont start and makes a sound like air shooting out on the 3rd kick.

What could this be? I know black oily stuff is supposed to come out but not to much, this was all described over the phone.

Any I deas or things I should try?

This is why I hate selling 2 strokes to people that have no real knowledge of how to ride it.

BlasterEaten250
03-24-2013, 03:50 PM
He probably mixed it way too rich like you said. He might just need a new plug and fresh gas that is mixed properly. In my experience, cleaning off the old ones doesn't always work the same as getting a new $3 plug. Who knows if he even re-installed the plug correctly, I wouldn't put it past some people.

JOHNDOE83
03-24-2013, 06:24 PM
My thoughts exactly.

After a few more conversations, we determined that there was no spark.

So he drained half the mixed gas and added a back with regular gasoline.

Hes going to get a plug tomorrow and let me know how it turned out.

Unfortunatly it is sold as is, I offered to help the guy out if he cant get it started again, but I hate to have to be at his house under his terms if he decides to get angry about it.

Just last week my hybrid died on me andf I spent 2 whole hours kicking it, draning the carb, cleaning the plug, and doing all this several times over while trying to kick it for 10mins at a time.

Next dayI put a new plug, it fired on the first kick and ran like a bat outta hel ever since.

Lets hope this is the case.

quad2xtreme
03-25-2013, 06:15 AM
I never had any luck cleaning a fouled plug in my two stroke days...at most just enough to get it to idle.

Sounds like a real winner there. He is now willing to risk his gas mix by just experimenting and possibly totally ruining the engine. :confused: You'd think he would want to start fresh and know for sure he has the right mix.

Scro
03-25-2013, 07:19 AM
He needs to drain it, and get the right pre-mix ratio. He'll never get his jetting right if he's bouncing all over the place with different ratios. You said it started spooging alot. If it wasn't spooging alot when you sold it, and nothing changed besides pre-mix ratio, that's where I would start. It could also be the way he is riding it. He may be lugging it like a 4 stroke, which will result in more spooge.

JOHNDOE83
03-25-2013, 09:28 AM
You guys.

Today I talked to the guy again, new spark plug has spark, tryd some thinned out gas and its still not starting.

So he managed to take the cylinder head off to try to clean things up.

Ya.

Anyway, he said the piston looked clean other then some roughness on the top edge, so I instructed him to push the kickstart slowly and examine the cylinder wall.

He said its smooth and theres no real scratches or anything of the sort "really smooth" and clean.

So I instructed him again to put it all back together nicely and dont over tighten anything.

Try to mix up 1 gallon of gas with roughly 3 ounces of oil for a rough 50:1 mix and start over again. Generally I use 32:1 or 50:1, depending on how I feel like mixing it at the time and how it rode the time before.

If it doesnt start this time Im gonna go check it out I guess, worst case scenario, ill offer 200 less then what he gave me, we'll call it a rental/delivery/damage fee and part ways nicely "hopefully" or it will start and I can walk away happy again...lol.

chucked
03-25-2013, 09:56 AM
The over-richened fuel is in the carb/bottom end still. Need to get that out before it will start. The plug will just keep fouling until then.

quad2xtreme
03-25-2013, 10:28 AM
You are too nice. When he pulled that top end, he officially bought it in my book. He could have done a compression test before worrying about digging that deep into the top end.

And agree he needed to drain the float bowl too.

JOHNDOE83
03-25-2013, 01:03 PM
omg.

Anyway, got there and tried to kick it and felt like there was no lubrication, squirted some gas in carb and it felt smooth but went back to feeling not lubed.

Pulled new plug, covered in coolant.

Pulled off the head, dryed it out, inspected for cracks, all looks good.

Unfortunatly pulling the head resulted in more coolant to the piston.

Dryed plug, spark was weak.

Drained cases, oil looked good, no gas or coolant.

I was at a loss, other then cleaning it out really well again, RTV'ing the gasket and starting all over again with a new plug.

I know I shouldnt have even entertained helping fix it, our final desicion was I would give back $450 of the $600 and take the bike back. Try to fix it and get it running and if all went well we would exchange again.

This is how the sell happend, we had a yard sale and I was selling a xr80. The guy came by looked at it and rode, liked it alot but said it wasnt peppy enough for him. So I mentioned I had this cr80 that I was gonna make a hybrid out of, I didnt want to sell it but he had caught me on a good day so I would part with it for $700.

We then settled for $600.

Now I have this thing back in my truck and Im not feelin to good about it at all. :grr:

Im gonna work on it tonight, I guess worse case is now I need a whole new top end, best case scenario is it got wet and needs time to dry.

If it were at my house where I sold it to the guy I could have been like F.U. but he met me at my girlfriends house and theres a small child there and I dont want any confrontation on their part.

Any thing I should look for while I got this thing apart tonight?

Thanks you guys have been great with the help!

OH! I forgot to mention the front brake lever is broke off now also, and there was no black goo anywhere to be seen that was any different then when it was sold.

JOHNDOE83
03-27-2013, 06:40 AM
Well after draining all the coolant, sealing all the gaskets, and trying a new plug.

Theres no spark.

Found a new/used coil on ebay for $20.

If that doesnt work I guess Im buying a cdi and stator also.

chucked
03-27-2013, 06:53 AM
You can easily test a coil and a stator, no sense in buying parts that might be ok

JOHNDOE83
03-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Ya I know, Im back and forth so much from my Gf house to my apartment that I dont have many tools out.

I tried to use a test light with no results, not the right thing to use anyway.

The coil I bought was local around here so its 1 day shipping and only $20.

If I get lucky it will be the issue, if not ill have a extra coil and ill dig up my tester to find the actual problem.

Just for a frame of reference, how and what would you test it with?

In the past ive used a ohms meter, it worked but it was kinda flakey? Im not a good electrician....lol.

chucked
03-27-2013, 07:30 AM
You would use a multimeter. Im sure if you do a google search you can find detailed instructions on what wires and what resistances it should be.

JOHNDOE83
03-27-2013, 03:40 PM
The good news is I messed around with some stuff and the spark randomly started firing.

It still wouldnt kickstart no matter what i did.

I had my friend pull start me with a truck and after 1/2 mile of nothing it randomly kicked in and took off like a bat outta hell.

so I rode it for a few seconds and killed it.

filled all the fluids back up kicked it, started second kick.

Now it starts everytime I try.

I dont know what happend, I think a plugged up pilot started everything, then the guy fouled up the plug and flooded it with coolant.

Anyway, it runs great again.

Do I even call the guy back "he tried calling me earlier" didnt answer.

I thought about just sticking a for sale sign on it in the driveway again:blah:

chucked
03-27-2013, 04:06 PM
The engine was probably flooded, can be very difficult to get it out. I had a seadoo that was fogged with way to much fogging oil, I had to use an oil extractor to get it out. As soon as I would crank it over it would foul both the plugs.

Thumpin440ex
03-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Run it 32-1 or even 50-1 if you are using good maxima or HP 2 honda oil. Can even lean the needle out 2 second notch. Glad it is running, it should run better if you do what I said.

John

JOHNDOE83
03-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Dude, this is almost a freaking nightmare.

I got the bike cleaned up and running like the day I bought it "again".

I rode it around my neighborhood just fine, started first or second kick like always. Started it several times after and rode with no issues.

Guy calls about the bike, I told him Im another $70 into this thing and I didnt replace anything I just cleaned up the coolant mess and everything is fine.

So he agreed to pay the $450 back + the $70 that I spent for NO reason.

Dropped off the bike, started 1st kick, guy rode it for 5mins came back an gave me the $520 that was owed.

Literally 40mins later, he called AGAIN:mad: and said come get this thing its dead again and "IM done with it". S.O.A.B!!!!

So I said ok man "even tho I should have said go eff yourself call a lawyer or the police or whoever you want".

I gave him the $520 and took the bike back AGAIN:mad: He wants his $150 back from before, I told him there was nothing I can do about it, That $150 is gone.

He said he was taking a loss for nothing, I told him Im not taking a bike he broke back for free, he tried to say $150 is to big of a loss on his end. I told him I cant give you anything, I delivered and picked it up twice, spent $30 on fluids I didnt need to spend and put My atv brake on there because you broke the other one, I also worked on it for 4 hours. THE $150 is GONE!

OK so now yes, the bike wont start again, spark is strong fluids all new and topped off.

Plug looks fouled again, I payed attention to the way he rode, he was deffinetly lugging it like a 4 stroke.

So im gonna clean it up again get it running, fug this guys $150, build my hybrid and use this as a learning experience "AS IS" is always "AS IS" from now on, if you got a issue file a suit or call the cops.

I cant believe I actually went and got it again:mad:

01boneless
03-30-2013, 09:50 AM
your crazy..after he got it the first time it was his baby not urs.

chucked
03-30-2013, 09:52 AM
He's doing something wrong. Is he running it with the choke on? Did he add gas? Maybe he's just not running it hard enough.

JOHNDOE83
03-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless
your crazy..after he got it the first time it was his baby not urs.

I know bro, I know.

Originally posted by chucked
He's doing something wrong. Is he running it with the choke on? Did he add gas? Maybe he's just not running it hard enough.

He opens it up like a 4 stroke and waits for it to hit powerband atleast when I was there thats how he rode it.

JOHNDOE83
04-07-2013, 09:42 AM
LOL

Ok guys I got it started again today by pull starting it.

Once started it runs awesome!

Ive discovered the problem also, once strated I kept on the throttle hard staying in power band, i set the idle high so it was in high rpms while idling also.

Runs great on the power band at all times and at lower rpms for brief periods of time.

So i tried to run it like a four stroke and it ran great for about 2 mins then bogged badly and almost stalled, so I got back on the throttle and pulled the clutch and took a few secs but cleared out and ran awesome again.

Slightly rich on oil and riding it like a four stroke is flooding the cylinder badly.

gonna re-mix with what was reccommended earlier by you guys and ride it like it supposed to be rode....lol.

All this trouble from some jack arse that cant ride a 2 stroke, atleast i got $150 out of it.

KXRida
04-26-2013, 01:38 AM
Sounds like jetting is your issue more than anything. It's way rich. Repack the silencer, clean the filter, start with fresh gas/oil and jet for it. Changing ratios is only a band aid on the problem. If you're fouling plugs your jetting is off for you have major blow by. Even lugging a 2 stroke if your jetting is on you should never foul a plug.

JOHNDOE83
04-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Well long story short after a few rides and some carb changes, the issue has actually got worse.

I bought a compression tester "harbor freight" and im not sure if the tester is the wrong type or if my piston is that bad.

Anyway it says I have 15psi?

the motor only starts now when pull started, and when it does run it feels like its being held back by something in the motor.

It will clear up and ride good for a few minutes, it will even kick start after that.

But when you are going good and you open up the throttle it will start to go then bog out and die "like its being held back".

All symptoms are like bad carb adjustments but this compression tester says 15psi. I would figure 15 psi wouldnt run at all!

Any thoughts?

Scro
04-26-2013, 10:43 AM
How many times did you kick it, and did you hold throttle wide open?

slainwarrior
04-26-2013, 12:29 PM
yea dude you gotta hold the throttle open and keep kicking it until the gauge stops moving but after reading all of the issues i have a feeling that thing needs a new piston and rings.

chucked
04-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Probably needs rebuilt. Pull the exhaust and have a look at the piston

JOHNDOE83
04-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Scro
How many times did you kick it, and did you hold throttle wide open?

Yes, I held open the throttle and kicked it about 6 times before the needle stopped and then a few more just to see.

When I took the head off, the cylinder looked to be fine with no scratching or gouges.

Havent actually looked at the piston yet tho.

Unfortunatly, Im realizing a rebuild is in my near future.