PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed w/ Chain

Rohr397
03-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Well I was out riding today, made it about 30ft out onto the track and next thing I know my chain looks like the picture below. So frustrated. Anyways... I
have never had to touch a chain in all my years of riding other than tightening up a chain once. When I bought this quad two months ago I thought the chain didn't look well lubricated but it was the correct tightness and otherwise looked good so I put some Motorex on it and called it good (more than once I've lubed it don't worry).

First of all, how the heck do I get this chain off? No clue here...

Second, when I do get a new chain (and possibly sprockets) how do I put all that on?

Rohr397
03-24-2013, 03:21 PM

2003TrX400eX
03-24-2013, 05:23 PM
There is a master link on the chain, disconnect that.

Front sprocket should come off with that bolt.

Rear sprocket has four bolts I think, slide over the sprocket hub. Might have to take the wheel hub off? I can't remember when I did mine.

CJM
03-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Dont have to remove wheel hub for rear sprocket.

Throw away the chain and sprockets and buy new stuff, they are all probably worn and need replacing.

Did you damage the case? Even if you didnt go buy a moose or UPP poly case saver. Should the chain ever do that again it will protect the case.

DnB_racing
03-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Rohr397
Well I was out riding today, made it about 30ft out onto the track and next thing I know my chain looks like the picture below. So frustrated. Anyways... I
have never had to touch a chain in all my years of riding other than tightening up a chain once. When I bought this quad two months ago I thought the chain didn't look well lubricated but it was the correct tightness and otherwise looked good so I put some Motorex on it and called it good (more than once I've lubed it don't worry).

First of all, how the heck do I get this chain off? No clue here...

Second, when I do get a new chain (and possibly sprockets) how do I put all that on? if its a original chain there is no master link, most originals are press fitted you will have to grind it off

Rohr397
03-24-2013, 08:15 PM
That's funny, I tried a chain breaker on it with some help from a buddy and the pins wouldn't come out, slid 3/4 of the way out then the chain breaker started bending from the pressure, so I pulled out the grinder and put that thing to rest.

So with that being said I obviously figured out the removal part, sprockets are a no brainer.

I ordered up a new chain and sprocket kit. Yes I'm aware of what I bought. I know everyone argues over Steel vs. Aluminum, I like what I bought.(http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/72/470/959/5577/9643/Primary-Drive-Alloy-Kit-%2526-O-Ring-Chain)

Getting the sprocket on, should be no problem. it's getting the chain the proper length and getting it set up correctly that's gonna be new. Can't be that hard, right?

Oh, and finally, I have a case saver but I had taken it off in the picture. Did exactly what I needed. All I'm gonna need now is a TM chain guide.

CJM
03-24-2013, 08:19 PM
96 links if your using stock sprockets

Rohr397
03-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Thinking about it now, it never asked me how many teeth I wanted or any of that, it was preset for an 06 Trx450er though so I assume it's gonna use the stock specs...

Scro
03-25-2013, 06:02 AM
If it ever happens again and you don't have a grinder - Put it in neutral, and push down on the bottom side of the chain with your boot. With a little force and persuasion, it will pop right out.

xcracer411
03-27-2013, 06:25 AM
Take the pivot bolt out dummy

Rohr397
03-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Gettin the kink out was no problem. It was getting the chain cut off the quad that I wasn't sure about. Taking the pivot bolt out is more of a pain then a few minutes with the grinder imo.

I still think it's kinda funny cause I looked on here like ten minutes after we grinded it off, and apparently we guessed right on taking out the grinder.

CJM
03-27-2013, 06:11 PM
id have grinded or cut it off as well. Why remove the swinger..way too much work!

sunco
03-28-2013, 02:18 PM
You take a 2x4 or a piece of firewood, put it in front of the rear sprocket between the chain & hit down on the wood. It will come out. No need to take anything apart. Just reset the tension for the chain & don't do it again :macho

Rohr397
03-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Well I'm stumped. Got the sprockets on no problem, went to put the chain on and it was too short. So I'm thinkin alright no problem, just adjust the carrier forward and it should fit. There are two problems here. The first is that the carrier is ridiculously hard to turn forward and idk if it's adjusted all the way forward now or not but I moved it pretty far and then it started snapping every tool I used to turn it. Second, the chain is still too short even with the carrier adjusted all the way forward. It's like a millimeter or two from connecting. I've tried all kinds of different ways to stretch it that extra distance, but have had zero luck. Someone then suggested I buy an extra link, but none of the dealers have one that'll fit.

BTW the chain is exactly 96 links and the sprockets are the same as stock.

Any suggestions?

DnB_racing
03-30-2013, 12:48 PM
that's good that its tight ...as it will stretch, put it on so the end links line up on the rear sprocket...even if at first its a link apart from making that's ok....

then in the middle of swing arm were the chain is the loosest. work the chain together, and up and down to start the chain stretching a little, do this a few times and you will eventually have the stretch to makeup the master....
im not sure if you get my meaning by working the chain.. but basically the same way you check for slack,,

make sure you loosen up the rear pinch bolts on swing arm prior to this as this will also bring the adjustment to the shortest part of the adjustment

EDIT ::: prior to this, put both chains side by side to make sure you got the right one

CJM
03-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Take a fat prybar or screwdriver and pry apart the swinger to loosen up the carrier.

deathman53
03-30-2013, 07:13 PM
it sounds like a lack of maintenance on the whole machine. What I would do: remove axle, remove carrier, get new carrier bearings(and put in), put anti-seize on carrier, re-install axle, get a Msr/Ironman rear sprocket, new chain(NOT a primary drive chain), primary drive front sprockets are good though and put it all back together. There is a number reasons for a jumped chain: bent rear sprocket, bad carrier bearings(how my crf hybrid threw 2 chains), worn chain, bad swingarm bearings or too loose of chain. The reason why I say Msr/Ironman sprockets is they last forever, I have them on everything, I am still using the same rear sprocket on one my dirtbikes ~5 years and its barely worn. Since you would be removing the axle, its not much more work to replace swingarm bearings. Thats just me, Atleast so I know everything that could cause it to happen is addressed.

Rohr397
03-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Well I got the chain on, it was really hard to do and took a lot of muscling to get the master link to barely fit on there. Once I got it on it was really really tight so I did some really slow smooth road running to stretch it. It didn't case any wear and the chain stretched perfectly like I expected it to and will eventually need tightening.

As for the carrier, a talk with my good friend who also works at the dealership said she's almost 99% sure that the O-rings are dried out and that there's some really good penetrating lubricant that will do wonders WD-40 won't do and that if I put that on there and try turning it that it should work but if not to go for the bearings next. I'll also do what you said CJM and do a little prying on the swingarm just to make it even easier.

CJM
03-30-2013, 09:03 PM
What Im saying is, on my 400ex I couldnt get the damn carrier to move and I bent the allen key and then snapped an old punch I tried too. I loosened it more, pried the opening apart by the bolts and it moved easy.

Rohr397
03-30-2013, 09:57 PM
That's what I meant lol my brains fried