PDA

View Full Version : Uni- foam filter Q's

KKiowaTJ
03-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Is there a crude way of cleaning them and oil or make shift? Mines dirty and have no cleaning kit and its pretty dirty. I know this time of year dust is low, But just incase want to see if there are ways etc?

I was thinking in house in soapy warm water, Rinse, Dry etc and then use hair spray? Alone with a poor man outerwear pantie hoe. I have used them for years with nothing but cheap, Great results.

But any other methods and chemicals, Post them up please. I wanted to buy another filter and cleaning kit so i have a back-up, But the place was closed today and will be until tuesday and i dont want to chance it. At minimum a uni cleaning/oil kit tuesday.

Thanks for any help you can give

JOHNDOE83
03-23-2013, 07:57 PM
simple green degreaser or regular dawn dish soap.

clean and dry, then apply a heavy mist of silicone spray.

KKiowaTJ
03-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
simple green degreaser or regular dawn dish soap.

clean and dry, then apply a heavy mist of silicone spray.

If palmolive and multi purpose lube will work im set. But i also have a small can of motion pro cable lube and IIRC its 100% silicon? Will that work too? Better?

Thanks for the quick reply, Snow comming and want to run around a bit lol.

JOHNDOE83
03-23-2013, 08:26 PM
ehhh, it might work.

I would use a household degreaser or blue dawn dish soap with degreaser in it, 100% silicone spray will work great.

Longdong
03-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Mineral spirites

CJM
03-23-2013, 09:28 PM
I use gas, pour it over it then wring it out.

Blodg
03-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Clean in kerosene first, then soapy water with dish soap, then dry and oil with 80-90 wgt gear oil. All stuff you might have around, no need to purchase a cleaning "kit". This is my preferred method except I use Belray foam filter oil but have used gear oil if I run out.

JACK STRAW
03-23-2013, 10:03 PM
i always use dawn or pj1 foam cleaner

Mtndew99
03-24-2013, 05:43 AM
I put mine in he downstairs sink get it wet and spray the uni cleaner all over it and squeeze and rub it all around then wash it out and keep repeating till i don't see oil or dirt and remember use warm water and then I let it sit overnight or thru the week when I'm not riding

KKiowaTJ
03-24-2013, 05:54 PM
I did leave a bit of gas but thought it would eat the foam lol.

I got it off last night and that thing is a red uni, Kinda if you look hard through the oil and soot/dirt/etc. Its tacky as a MF'er and was hard to get off my own hands lol.

I think im just gonna wait and get a kit, The filter has a mesh cage in it, So they come apart?
I used to run them and toss them they were that easy and cheap for me to get. I do have a metal rod through it at the end, But i wanted to get my hands off it so i didnt look at it too much. Plus bringing it in the house to the kitchen didnt go over well.

I thought about just hot soapy water and let it sit in it until i get the cleaner. Try and get as much if not all out. That and if k&n oil works i have a few cans of it for misc. toys. But also have gear oil, silicon spray, Just about everything but 'what i really need/want'.

CJM
03-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Yea cage comes out of it.

KKiowaTJ
03-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Yea cage comes out of it.

Good deal, Time to hit up the ol' ladys nurse gloves lol. Ive been waiting for time alone to try this so if there is a mess i can clean/hide it. So far no luck lol

cheater13
03-26-2013, 07:25 AM
I have a quick question cause i don't wanna start another thread.

But I got the velocity intake which comes with the k@n air filter. I previously had a UNI filtermy 400 i was wandering something.

That spray for foam filters, would it be alright to spray that on the k@n? Not alot, but just enough to catch the dust that would go in it. I have an Outerwears cover on the thing too to try to help out.

quadmanw
03-26-2013, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't use foam spray on a k&n... The k&n spray isn't sticky at all and soaks right in the paper.. I think the sticy foam spray would just make a mess on the metal around the filter.. jmo

KKiowaTJ
03-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by cheater13

But I got the velocity intake which comes with the k@n air filter. I previously had a UNI filtermy 400 i was wandering something.

That spray for foam filters, would it be alright to spray that on the k@n? Not alot, but just enough to catch the dust that would go in it. I have an Outerwears cover on the thing too to try to help out.

LMAO, I was going to ask the same question about k&n filter spray on my uni filter lol, Guess i got my answer. Wont hurt me to buy the kit and not be a lazy arse.

cheater13
03-27-2013, 07:07 AM
^Yeah same here. I was just curious if it would hurt or not. I rather run a UNI since it's easier to maintain but the K@N came with the intake system.

quadmanw
03-27-2013, 07:24 AM
I don't think you guys will be disappointed with the uni.. I changed from a k&n last year when I did my rebuild and I love it. Buy the Maxima cleaner and it takes about 5 minutes to clean!

JOHNDOE83
03-27-2013, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by cheater13

Oh cool you finally got that thing!

Post a pic of it I would really like to see it!

Make a new thread for it:D

KKiowaTJ
03-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Well i went to a couple shops today. One was out of uni kits and was a yamaha dealer anyway so i went to the honda dealer in my area.
They didnt have it either, But a guy i know works there and told me the PJ1 fabric oil works just as good if not better. I took his advice and bought it, He raced everything at one point and is always at the local tracks so i figured WTF ill try it.

I sprayed it down, Dont know how much it too much so i put a decent if not a light coat on it and going to let it sit inside over night. Guess ill know if it was enough or too much next time out. That and it will make it a bit easier when its warm out.

I just hope he wasnt full of crap.

cheater13
03-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
Oh cool you finally got that thing!

Post a pic of it I would really like to see it!

Make a new thread for it:D
Haha will do! I didn't take any before shots so I'll have to look around to see if i had any i took back awhile ago so i can do before/after pictures. But I'll get some pictures tonight and post it by the weekend!

I'm dropping it off at a shop to get it rejetted tomorrow. So hopefully after it's all said and done, i notice some :macho!

KKiowaTJ
04-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Well i got it all done and back togeather. The filter/cage gap that seals was a PITA for me. I put a bit of grease around it too, Hope it sealed.

Im not sold on the PJ1 fabric oil. It never tacked up and IMO will let crap pass right on by. I let it sit in the house and dry, But installing it was like a greased pig, Could hardly hold on to it.

I put a poor mans outerwear on it (panyty hoe), They have saved me in the past. But looks like im on the hunt for a can of foam spray. I want to ride this weekend but not at the price of a motor.

I cant say it ran worse, But cant say i was happy with the way it ran today or the other day when i got it running.
I did mess with the throttle cable a bit today only, But that IMO felt like i was either riding on the clutches or blowing the tires off very easy. But when in N to 1st no lunge or kick so IKD, Lost.

But ill start back to square one and clean/oil with proper foam oil. As for the throttle adjustment, I dont know what to do but screw it back in and add slack?
I read the adjustment sticky, But some say its in the thumb adjustment, Some say take air box off etc. I just took out some slack and IMO didnt idle any higher, Just the reaction i didnt expect. It is a 00' 400ex and most said that was the year?

Any advice on what to do or look for in the 'adjustment' area i just had to mess with?