PDA

View Full Version : michigan sand dunes

JACK STRAW
03-23-2013, 11:22 AM
has anyone been up to michigan sand dunes. is it just 1 big hill or more. we have 2 400ex's and a honda 300fw utility 4x4. is it worth bringing the utility or will it lack too much power.

Longdong
03-23-2013, 12:09 PM
720 acres of sand and some sand wooded areas. Utility will be fine.

DragonGunner
03-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Its one big hill, then like 6 more, then you turn around and head back, lost of open stretches too. Wide open whoops.....trails through littl brush lands, run the stretch along Lake Michigan, stop, go for a swim. Then more dunes to the North with hills.....lots of isolated pockets to play in.

DragonGunner
03-23-2013, 12:23 PM

400exmxracer
03-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Silver lake is my favorite place on earth, its pretty wide open, and utility quads do really well. Just be careful and go slow over the tops of the hills until u get used to them, they drop off on the back, and that's the biggest mistake that people make when they first go, and end up getting hurt. It's a blast, even just watching everyone else from the top of the test hill is a blast. I'll be up there a lot this summer with the wrangler and the 400:) ride red

strick9racing
03-23-2013, 02:52 PM
I suppose quads have to be registered don't they?

Longdong
03-23-2013, 03:20 PM
No

strick9racing
03-23-2013, 03:23 PM
I look on the silver lake website and couldn't find much, so I can show up with my race quad and tear it up? Or ??? I've never ridin dunes but have been thinkin about it this summer

Longdong
03-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Need a legal flag and a spark arrester

DragonGunner
03-23-2013, 05:47 PM
You also have to purchase a MI riding permit good for a yr an have it on your quad. And during the busy season you usually have to show up the night before and get in line to get your parking voucher, you can get your quad permit there also.

ish416
03-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Another thing, last year they were testing everything for noise levels. Over 96 or 98 db at 1/4 throttle and they wouldn't allow you in. Seen several people leave because they couldn't get in.

JACK STRAW
03-23-2013, 10:01 PM
can you ride down the roads to fill up or get back to camp like @ hatfield or do you have to run from the cops like here in nj

DragonGunner
03-24-2013, 07:00 AM
You park in the parking lot an from there it goes into the dunes....other than that quad has to be on trailer, truck.....or u can tow it.....no other way you r going to travel any other way. Bring your gas to the parking lot.....There are campgrounds to stay at or motels, no riding the the roads though.

DragonGunner
03-24-2013, 07:45 AM
400EX at silver lake...you tube....not me.

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L63HINSCuso

RNL
03-24-2013, 07:45 AM
I noticed that the original poster in his sig says one of his 400's has a Sparks exhaust. I doubt very much that exhaust will pass the sound levels.

DragonGunner
03-24-2013, 08:59 AM
When they started sound testing a few yrs. ago they were sending people home left an right....they stopped my brother in law 450R CT racing pipe but only checked at idle an he was ok...over the yrs I have never been checked for noise and never saw anyone else ever checked....but they always check spark arrester....was there last summer...no sound checks, just check the spark arrester.

JACK STRAW
03-24-2013, 04:56 PM
i am going to bring the whole family up there and drag 3 quads up.where is the best place to stay that won't break the bank.i have to remember my wife and daughter are going also but not to ride. how can i check what decible of noise the quads are making.they have spark arrestors.thanks

RNL
03-24-2013, 04:59 PM
I think they sell cheap decibel meters at Harbor Freight. I just dont think that Sparks will pass if they check.

Longdong
03-24-2013, 05:16 PM
I don't think they check sound just spark arrester. The big trucks and rail cars are louder then a quad.

Chukkinsod
04-13-2013, 09:18 AM
We go 3-4 times a year. A few years back they talked of the decibel testing, but almost no one passed. We have not been tested in a while. Make sure you have a spark arrester or you will not get in! The only pain there is the voucher system on holidays....you can wait in line for several hours and once the vouchers are gone for the parking lot you get put on stand by (until people leave). Dunes in some spots are directional traffic only and recently they added a speed limit on the beach area.....this is where everyone used to drag. Place is great and I recommed making a trip there... guarenteed you will make it an annual one after you go once. We stay at Silver City 2....seems like evrywhere else is "family" campgrounds so they enforce a quiet time after 10. If you are anything like me....I am on Vaca, it doesnt even get fun until then!

atvrider13
04-14-2013, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by JACK STRAW
i am going to bring the whole family up there and drag 3 quads up.where is the best place to stay that won't break the bank.i have to remember my wife and daughter are going also but not to ride. how can i check what decible of noise the quads are making.they have spark arrestors.thanks I took my wife a few years ago and she had a good time. She doesnt ride. I had the quad on the back of my truck and drove the truck down by the beach, unloaded it and rode around. And she laid out by the beach. Silverlake is a very "touristy" town. So there is plenty to do. I recommend Macs dune rides. It was entertaining and the slicktrack gocart track. We always stayed at Sierra sand hotel, very nice and is just away from the crazy party of town. And by the way they didnt check the quad for noise when it was on the back of my truck!!!

witech
04-14-2013, 07:23 AM
Silverlake might be ok for a one time family event but if you want real dunes do whatever it takes to get to St Anthonies. No sound test,no paperwork ,no absurd fees,no standing in line. Ive been to little sahara UT ,St anthonies ,killpecker and Silverlake. Silverlake is an absolute joke compared to any of those. Im from Wi and we are doing another trip out west this year. Pm me if you want to hit the biggest dunes in the hemishere.