PDA

View Full Version : k&n air filter?

GAZ-V-21
03-22-2013, 09:09 PM
I have a k&n filter on my 400 for over a year now with no problems so far thank god. I see alot of stuffon forums saying they are bad for atv's is this true? I clean and oil mine often and i have an outerwear on it. If im at some kind of risk though i wanna get it off i guess some things ive read just worry me.

CJM
03-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Outwear kinda negates all the flow a KN would get you. A foam filter flows less but traps more dirt.

Your call, I dont like the KN style myself b/c I feel the foam filters filter better.

426kidz
03-22-2013, 09:14 PM
NOT THIS AGAIN! haha I like the foam better but never had a problem with my K&N. either way your fine

GAZ-V-21
03-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Cool thanks guys my worry was more of hurting engine than anything. Like i saud ive had no problems so far 400 runs like a champ. Cant wait to do some harescrambles.

pmg8134
03-23-2013, 09:58 AM
when you pull your filter to clean it, wipe your clean finger around the inside of the boot (it has to be clean to start with of course) is it dirty? this will tell you what`s getting by into your motor

DragonGunner
03-23-2013, 12:28 PM
13 plus yrs on K&N on 400ex, open air box, outerwear....7 yrs on KTM 520 motor same set up......I like how easy they are too clean and then oil...still going strong. I have ran both without the outerwear and could never tell any differance in power, I run the outerwear on them to help keep dirt out out and any water that gets splashed in.

JOHNDOE83
03-23-2013, 07:54 PM
K&N will add a lil extra flow over a foam filter at the cost of being slightly less capable of filtering fine "fine" dust.

Its so miniscule that it doesnt really matter.

The only down side to a K&N is when its not cleanable/re-usable.

ATV drag racers use long K&N filters for max HP.

I only buy foam Uni filters.

SpasticR450
03-29-2013, 09:24 PM
I never had a problem with dust I always been in clay dust and no dust ever passed. I spray the inside of the intake boot with k&n filter spray just in case dust gets in and it never has dirt in the intake boot. I will never use a foam filter. If you don't mind sticky lips put your mouth on a foam filter and blow and then do the same to a k&n and you will see how much better a k&n flows.

Also the longer or wider basically the bigger the filter the less suction pressure threw the filter so the less likely to suck dust because there is more air volume inside the filter.

If I remember right k&n are rated to last 50 washings.