PDA

View Full Version : Old days hatfield Mccoy exriders trips

blacknblue#2
03-22-2013, 11:33 AM
As a result of a couple days worth of bored brousing I discovered that Exriders used to have an annual Hatfield Mccoy ride. It looks as if some of the regulars for that are still members here. But it looks like alot of them are gone. First as an annual Hatfield rider since 2002 I have to admit i wish i would have been a member back at the time. I woulda joined in the festivities lol. Second i have to ask what happened to that ride? how did it not grow with a site this size? Ppl just get older and noone carry it on or what?

beastlywarrior
03-22-2013, 12:04 PM
I've been wanting to go

CJM
03-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Im not sure as I havent been on here since the site started, but I think the site was owned or run by a different group back then than now. I havent seen any of the old timers lately.

chucked
03-22-2013, 05:05 PM
I think social media, along with the economy, took its toll. Im actually leaving Sunday morning to go to Man and ride the rockhouse

OldGuyonaQuad
03-23-2013, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by chucked
I think social media, along with the economy, took its toll. Im actually leaving Sunday morning to go to Man and ride the rockhouse

If you eat at the Restaurant at the foot of the connector(in Gilbert) order the burger, not the special.

If you are going to be there a few days I would suggest checking out Buffalo as well.

blacknblue#2
03-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Chucked let us know how the trails are, earliest ive ever went down was the last week in April. We had a lot of rain that year and it was sloppy. I run an open air box on everything so I try to wait for it to dry up a little. Our first trip down this year is 3rd week in may. That's always our buddy trip but I know myself along with zyoung would like to ride with some of the other crazy mofos on this site. We have never come across anyone else down there that rides like us but I know we ain't the only ppl who literally race from town to town Haha

OldGuyonaQuad
03-23-2013, 09:12 AM
We're heading down to Indian Ridge the first weekend in May and I'm hoping it dries up. Indian Ridge has connector trails to two other trails systems but there isn't a whole lot of options for lodging. Man and Gilbert (Rockhouse) have quite a few places to stay. If you haven't already I would advise you make your reservations.

blacknblue#2
03-23-2013, 09:24 AM
We usually have our reservations made a year prior lol. We always stay at fox lodge in Gilbert and have built a good rep wit him. He is kinda like super 8 he always leaves a room open for us in the middle of may I just always have to ball him by the first of February to firm up the dates and give him a head count. When I first started going we would ride someplace different every day but I have gotten lazy now. When the quads leave the trailer on Thursday they won't touch it again until Sunday. But we usually have 3 truck loads anymore. If we just had 1 truck to load we may hit some other trail heads more

zyoung04
03-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Im all for riding with some of the dudes off of here. Im curious to see how the indian ridge is. It opened the weekend after I was there last time. LET R EAT

chucked
03-23-2013, 11:50 AM
We just decided to post pone a few weeks, supposed to snow 4-8" on monday

OldGuyonaQuad
03-23-2013, 02:01 PM
We just decided to post pone a few weeks, supposed to snow 4-8" on monday

You are more then welcome to hook up with us May 2nd - 6th @ Indian Ridge. You can try Skyland ranch they had 2 cabins left otherwise there is a Days Inn near Pocahontas.

cheetah
03-28-2013, 02:11 PM
I still have the old dvd they made with Jeff Stoess wearing a helmet cam for one of the Hatfield Rides. The good ole days.....

blacknblue#2
03-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Cheetah, why did those yearly rides stop happening. Last one I can find was 06. I wish I woulda been a member back then. I would love to meet up and ride with some of the guys on the forums. It's gettin harder and harder to find ppl who really want to ride. Me and zyoung are the only 2 out of our group that go out of our way to get together and ride still

chucked
03-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Lets set one up for may-june.

blacknblue#2
03-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Chucked I'm already scheduled to be there may 16-20. If anyone else can work around that I would love to get together with any of ya.

chucked
03-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Where are you staying? I prefer the rockhouse trail system

blacknblue#2
03-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Rockhouse is our system of choice too. We are staying at fox lodge in Gilbert. He might have more rooms available I ain't sure. If not there is plenty of lodging around Gilbert. If we can get a big group together we could meet up early in the mornings grab some breakfest and hit the trail

chucked
03-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Ahh yes, Ive stayed at foxes place, let me talk to my friends and see what I can do.

OldGuyonaQuad
03-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Where are you staying? I prefer the rockhouse trail system

Just wondering why you guys prefer Rockhouse and what other systems you've checked out. so far I have only been to Rockhouse. As stated we are going to Indian Ridge and hitting Pinnacle Creek/Pocahontas but I'm worried that it's more for the mudders then the trail blasters. We are locked in for this trip but trying to figure out where to go in October so your feed back would be helpful.

chucked
03-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Probably because of how big it is. Ive been to all but 2, cant remember what the names are. Also rockhouse has a few pretty cool landmarks to check out

OldGuyonaQuad
03-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks chucked

Yea the 98 miles of trails was the main reason we went their first. If we did go back I would stay in Man rather then Gilbert b/c the connector was such a grind 2-4x a day.

It does appear as though Rockhouse has the most to offer in the way of Lodging and dining.

chucked
03-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Also, the connector was my favorite part. I liked the old connector better though.

OldGuyonaQuad
03-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Yea I can see younger (younger then me) riders liking the connector. It's scenic and has some nice climbs, the turns are narrow though.

I just read on their web site that an 8th trail system is going to be opening called Ivy Branch.

blacknblue#2
04-01-2013, 05:29 AM
We prefer Rockhouse for its size. We carry quite a bit of speed. If we dont have any mechanical failures we usually end up riding over 100 miles a day, so the Rockhouse offers more for us. We covered little coal river twice and got bored lol. Buffalo mountain is alright i just really dont like Williamson. Matewan is extremely neat tho. I guess with us its just really liking our routine so much we are afraid to change it.

cdalejef
08-23-2013, 11:44 AM
I still have the old dvd they made with Jeff Stoess wearing a helmet cam for one of the Hatfield Rides. The good ole days.....

Was that digital? If so can you post it up on youtube with a link? I don't think I ever saw it.

blacknblue#2
08-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Just bring back the ride and make some new footage haha. We are leaving a week from today. Gonna spend labor day weekend on buffalo mountain