PDA

View Full Version : 09 450r big 3

fast shee
03-20-2013, 07:31 AM
I have picked up a 09 450r and would like to do the big 3 on it but I need to keep the air box on the bike. Any recommendations on which ones? I have read up on the monster, motoworks, gytr, and sparks. Are these ones pretty close in performance on a stock engine setup?

Kovatch
03-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Most exhausts will give you great power increases. From what I have seen on dyno sheets Barkers & Rossier tend to put down the most power. Don't count out Dasa, Sparks, or Yosh. These are great quality products, too.

You can run a Fuel Customs intake (FCI) with their custom air box. Their air box isn't as sealed as the stock one. It is primarily designed to keep the dust out, not water (no back side to their box). FCI will yield roughly 0.75-1.25hp more than a K&N on a pro-design intake ring.

Many people are running MSD ignitions as they put down a little more power over the old Power Commander V (PCV). The new PCV has timing adjustments, but I have not seen any on the dyno to compare the two. Vortex ECU takes the bill as the best; however, it is $700 and requires special software to tune it. If you feel like you are going to build a motor (port, big cams, piston, etc), set yourself up and get the Vortex. Otherwise, the MSD or the new PCV would be fine.

I have Sparks, the old PCV, and run the Pro-Design/K&N intake at the moment (amongst other engine mods). I'm happy with the results, but I do have an FCI w/o box waiting to be dyno'd & installed.

fast shee
03-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Well its not getting any easier trying to pick between all these setups. Who has the best prices for a pipe, programmer and foam filter with flange setup out there? Keeping in mind that the engine is stock and i need to keep the airbox?

Kovatch
03-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Hard to say who has THE best price. I'm not 100% sure who the site sponsors are here, but check them first. Otherwise KBmotorsportsonline.com & tqsatv.com have pretty good prices.

It's not easy to pick a pipe, but those are the top performers. At this point, I would just pick one.

I believe you can get a foam filter for the FCI. If you are going to be treading water or riding through mud, I might shy away from an FCI and retain the stock airbox as stock is a true box.

Barkers/MSD/Pro-design w/ Foam. I just made the decision. You will probably be around $850-1000.

Droes
07-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Check out www.ddracing.com and go under ATV parts. I added the offset timing key and picked up 3hp from 8500-10000 rpms . I'm running a pc5 with timing but it still doesn't add timing above 8500 rpms.