PDA

View Full Version : Ever get burned out??

blacknblue#2
03-19-2013, 09:25 AM
I want to start this off by saying i am NOT getting burned out on riding haha. So for the guys on here I ride with you should know if I didnt ride i would go insane. Its the stuff that trys to keep my from riding that i am just pure burned out on. Ive rode anything with handlebars for 21 years now and love it just as much today as i did at 5 years old lol. The last few years ive kinda turned into the go-to guy for repair and service work. Started taking on side jobs and enjoyed it. Who wouldnt enjoy extra money right?? well here recently ive just gotten tired of it. Between ppl wanting to turn a Warrior into a yfzr for 500 dollars and 2 days and ppl not understanding that just because its only 6 grand new some parts are still more than 100 bucks ive just gotten burned out on even wanting to touch a quad with a wrench, Even my own so thats why im putting a stop to it and on here ranting lol. With a wife a kid my quad time has been cut down anyways, and when we start getting some nice days I plan on doing some riding so i have been turning down any side job that comes my way.. Other ppl always think you should put their riding in front of your own and im over that. I just made a boy mad this morning because i turned down a job to fix a mistake that he tried fixing and couldnt.

Enough of my rant, I want to hear about other ppl getting burned out on something quad related and what action you took to save your interest.

CJM
03-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Im kinda burned out on riding myself. For the past few years I went literally almost every sunday if I could, year round. By now Ive decided Im sick of riding in cold wet weather and will usually wait for it to warm up or go seldom during the colder months. I also hate the mud (cant figure out why some people on sport quads like it?) so I wont go if it has rained alot either.

Im also burned out of work. Sick and tired of being the go to guy, sick and tired of the bs and problems of an incompetent boss, etc. I quit my job yesterday b/c Im sure biz is gonna close its doors in the next few weeks.

Also burned out of going to school. I used to enjoy going and enjoy the classes, but by now I just sit there trying to pay attention and retain some of the info I learned, meanwhile counting down the minutes till the class is over. I just think to myself: I only have another year left or so, I wish I could finish earlier but its to $$$ (can you believe they charge more for classes if you go fulltime? Literally DOUBLE the price for 4 or more classes but only half that price if you do 3/time?). Then comes finding a job and real world training and hopefully I pass it all. I kinda wish I had joined the military and done that path like a friend of mine, he made good money, moved to another state and got a good job.

Scro
03-19-2013, 10:54 AM
I got burned out on the maintanence and cost of quads. Took several years off, and now I'm back on two wheels. Never thought I would like them, but it's just as much fun as a four-wheeler with half the cost/maintanence. No way I would go back.

blacknblue#2
03-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Scro
I got burned out on the maintanence and cost of quads. Took several years off, and now I'm back on two wheels. Never thought I would like them, but it's just as much fun as a four-wheeler with half the cost/maintanence. No way I would go back.

I went through that. And in all Honesty i loved my bike, The fun factor on a bike is unlimited. Never a dull moment and like you said not near the maintenance. But its hard being the only bike. Places where a bike can plum haul *** a quad cant, and places where a quad hauls *** a bike cant. So that makes it hard being the only bike. But i do miss my bike.

LeGaCyGiAnT124
03-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Im kinda burned out on riding myself. For the past few years I went literally almost every sunday if I could, year round. By now Ive decided Im sick of riding in cold wet weather and will usually wait for it to warm up or go seldom during the colder months. I also hate the mud (cant figure out why some people on sport quads like it?) so I wont go if it has rained alot either.

Im also burned out of work. Sick and tired of being the go to guy, sick and tired of the bs and problems of an incompetent boss, etc. I quit my job yesterday b/c Im sure biz is gonna close its doors in the next few weeks.

Also burned out of going to school. I used to enjoy going and enjoy the classes, but by now I just sit there trying to pay attention and retain some of the info I learned, meanwhile counting down the minutes till the class is over. I just think to myself: I only have another year left or so, I wish I could finish earlier but its to $$$ (can you believe they charge more for classes if you go fulltime? Literally DOUBLE the price for 4 or more classes but only half that price if you do 3/time?). Then comes finding a job and real world training and hopefully I pass it all. I kinda wish I had joined the military and done that path like a friend of mine, he made good money, moved to another state and got a good job.

Once school is over and you find a job, it will be A LOT less stressful. Been there and done that. I would work Wednesday, Friday, Saturday at a resturaunt during college from 3-11. After work on Fridays, I would do projects that were assigned on Wednesdays from a Java Programming class that was mandatory. It was the most difficult time of my life. Once it's all done you will feel so relieved. Keep going! I look as it as a huge accomplishment. It's even that much better when you get a job. I got lucky with mine. Went straight from an intern to full time. Don't give up.

KKiowaTJ
03-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Same boat and got so sick of it i sold everything i owned mx related except gear. Took 5+ years off and now im a fair weather rider.

I used to ride 4-5 nights a week. 2 cans of VP and 93 mix a week, Rings, Tires, EEverything down to F'N greese fittings. I got super fast at 2stroke work and would only take me an hour to re-ring. I would ride in 15 degree or 100, Mud, Snow etc.

Now that im back in the sport, If its raining thats a couple days to dry out. Snow means cold as chit and a head cold. I like the jersey/hoody riding weather lol where the air is cool and power is perfect.

I did the same thing with sprint cars but WILL never go back, Sport bikes, Jeeps etc. No matter what the toy, Too much time with them will burn you out unless your making large amounts of $$ and you still dont want to touch it.

Somtimes its get to ya and its too much. If you dont step away you might end up hating it. Just take some time away and clear your head. When you come back dont fix others junk. Let them pay or learn themselves.

CJM
03-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by LeGaCyGiAnT124
Once school is over and you find a job, it will be A LOT less stressful. Been there and done that. I would work Wednesday, Friday, Saturday at a resturaunt during college from 3-11. After work on Fridays, I would do projects that were assigned on Wednesdays from a Java Programming class that was mandatory. It was the most difficult time of my life. Once it's all done you will feel so relieved. Keep going! I look as it as a huge accomplishment. It's even that much better when you get a job. I got lucky with mine. Went straight from an intern to full time. Don't give up.

Im not giving up, but it can be trying at times.

I currently have about 6 or so classes left, but shame on me for picking the hardest stuff for last. Either way since Im so close Im sticking to it. It took me so far 10 years to come this far, I wish I hadnt been stupid and dropped out for 2 years tho.

LeGaCyGiAnT124
03-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Im not giving up, but it can be trying at times.

I currently have about 6 or so classes left, but shame on me for picking the hardest stuff for last. Either way since Im so close Im sticking to it. It took me so far 10 years to come this far, I wish I hadnt been stupid and dropped out for 2 years tho.

It's life. You learn from your mistakes. Nothing is more difficult then going to school and managing a part time job let alone a full time job.

Looking back at college, they weren't the greatest years of my life. It's just something you need in order to get your life in order.

CJM
03-19-2013, 12:26 PM
^Exactly. Just gotta tough through it and continue on.

Ruby Soho
03-19-2013, 12:34 PM
i got burned out of riding for awhile. really since 08-09. i used to eat sleep breath quads and pitbikes. but it all got old. ive had tons of bikes since then, but they all got sold because i don't ride them. i keep the trusty dusty 110 though. ill never sell that. plus these days i have about 10 of my close friends on 110's too, so we cruise around on them all the time.

im with you on the wrenching too. im glad i didn't become a mechanic because i would hate waking up for work every day thats for sure ha. i've gotten really into fabricating (im an ironworker by trade so its almost hand in hand..on a wicked small scale ha). i like building parts for friends, i do repairs that have to do with welding mostly on bikes. (as well as a side business welding anything) have had plenty of *******s to deal with too. but thats everywhere. however when it comes to quads, bikes, pitbikes etc.. they seem to come with more immature customers.

250x_kyle
03-19-2013, 04:09 PM
i started building a hybrid two years ago after parting out a 450r putting two yfzs together and then parting a yfz out. got tired of turning wrenches work on it every once in a while. starting to get the urge again. im a machinist by trade would like to pick up a tig welder and start some small projects soon as well after about 4 years of being burnt out on that. i loose intrest easily.

blaster12s
03-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Im pretty burnt out on school, I go to drexel for mechanical engineering and its really fun, but really really hard and amazingly stressful around finals time. im 3 years into it with 2 to go and I really am just sick of it. with riding tho I still love riding and go every good day I can. If its muddy I won't even go. Its nice because I just picked up a kx125 and its really nice not going out and just worrying about lap times just focuousing on not falling and doing like a 10 ft double ahah.

rollie
03-19-2013, 08:31 PM
i got burnt out of riding in 2011, but stayed into it heavily as a mechanic for my friends, i still am, i really enjoy going to track to help out, and not have to worry about actually racing.

When i got out of racing though, i sold everything and bought a diesel, been into that a little over a year and i really enjoy building my truck.

as far as riding i still have a pitbike, and most of my buddies still race and constantly want to rip 110's, they all get mad when i dont want to go all the time, but with work and school i dont want to go riding just to ride, i only ride when im itching for it

honda400ex2003
03-24-2013, 05:08 PM
I finally got burned out on the riding i guess. I used to ride every day, every weeekend, ate slept and talked about riding. i always had a few buddies that i could ride with and such to have fun every now and again so it was a blast to get out on the trails or cruise around the woods.

I got into sledding a few years ago while i was at school and have really got into that alot more. it has became my new favorite pass time and i wait to ride the sleds now instead of wait to ride the atvs.

plus i got my h2 last summer which slowed my atv riding even more. instead of riding the 400, i would drive the h2.

Last summer was tough since it was so hot all the time. It really pushed me to do other things instead of riding. i didnt get a chance to get my 400 tuned while it was cool enough and didnt want to tune it while it was 90 degrees. So i never really got it to run how i wanted it until it was september. That also made riding tough last year, every time i rode, i would get irritated with how crappy it ran and would just leave it alone.

I do want to get back into it more this summer now that i finally got my 400 tuned again. I want to get back into it with my girlfriend so ill make sure i get out with her when i can.

Steve

MX MaNiAc 06
03-25-2013, 06:55 AM
I wish I could ride every day. But I am getting burnt out on the driving. I have a chance to get a sneak peak at the next track before our race. Im up there in the points and really want to do well there, but it's 4.5 hours!! Not sure if I will do it or not.

SGA
03-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Ever get burned out??
Oh yes many times over the years
blacknblue#2 I know how you feel a hobby can turn into a job. I have owned my own repair maintenance business for 16 years and sometimes i turn down jobs if i feel its more headaches than its worth.
If you feel you are getting burnt out on something, step away for a while.

fastredrider44
03-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by SGA
Ever get burned out??
Oh yes many times over the years
blacknblue#2 I know how you feel a hobby can turn into a job. I have owned my own repair maintenance business for 16 years and sometimes i turn down jobs if i feel its more headaches than its worth.
If you feel you are getting burnt out on something, step away for a while.

How do you tactfully turn down jobs? I have turned down a few by telling them I don't have the time, but I hate to pass up an easy buck on the next quad.

I took a step back from racing this year after buying a house with my girlfriend. Since then, I have noticed I don't have the spare cash to throw at the quad like I used to, or the time to wrench. It's not uncommon for me to work 12-14 hours a day at work, before going home and starting some sort of house project or trying to find time to work in the garage. It's hard for me to get motivated about anything these days. I'm working as hard as I can and come home, fall asleep and it seems like before my head hits the pillow, its time to wake up and do it all over again. I'm fortunate to have the steady work, but sometimes I wonder if its worth it. I wonder if I wouldn't just be happier to work normal 8-10 hour days like everyone else and go home and actually be able to have the energy to go on and do something else.

mikey726
03-26-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm about burned out on not riding. Not really anywhere to ride, and no one to ride with. Only my brother still has a quad, but he's got a 1-year old, and he doesn't want to drive anywhere to ride.The only time I get to ride now is when I go racing, which I've only done a handfull of times in the last couple years. It's getting old...

ALAMX37
03-26-2013, 07:14 PM
I feel ya brother. Started out riding around the house. Got a 250r started racing. Year or two later yfz's came out picked up a pros bike. Raced year round, outdoor, arenacross, practiced when we weren't racing. After 8 years and tearing my body to pieces I finally hung the helmet up when my son was born. Now he rides and I enjoy it much more tooling around on a pit bike with my boy. It was the experience of a lifetime and I don't regret any of it. My only regret is being so hard headed and throwing safety to the wind to go faster. Live it up man it won't last forever.

OldGuyonaQuad
03-27-2013, 05:30 AM
My my hey hey
Rock and roll is here to stay
It's better to burn out
cause rust never sleeps
hey hey my my
/Neil Young

JOHNDOE83
03-27-2013, 07:04 AM
I moved out of my apartment to live with my GF and her twin sister and her sisters 2 year old daughter. "I still owe 3 months rent" while im not living there.

I sold a cr80, 2 days later was harrassed constantly by this guy cause the bike died out on him. Had to give him partial money back an take the bike back "broken".

I got laid off on xmas after 5 years of employment, started working with a friend, now his companys failing also.

I have my own commercial fishing buisness, but in this cold weather theres NO fishing.

Even with being off work alot, im so busy I dont even have time to clean out my truck.

I try to do a easy 5 min task like change a light in the kitchen, I drop the screwdriver, screws, parts so often it becomes a 45min task that frustrates the heck outta me.

Tried to file for unemployment, they said im good for $275 a week, if I make $300 that week working part time, I dont get any money from un employment. I made $240- last week working 1 day, un employment gave me $60.

Have a few friends over to relax on weekends, they drink all my alcohol, smoke my cigs and all my stash and on sunday im out of all the stuff I just got on friday. "and those crackers have more cash then me"

On top of that, its a florida law that allows us to ride atvs on certain streets. its a state law but a county ordinance, my county voted against it so its illegal here and the surroning counties. yet within 15miles of here theres 2 communitys that ride constantly with no sherriffs stoping them, they ride freely all day and cops just wave. if i go up the street here to test my quad after a rebuild, they will impound atv and arrest me!

The list is on going so, Ya Im pretty burnt out on all this right now.

Thanks guys:rolleyes: