PDA

View Full Version : axle bearing/swing arm pivot bolt grease?

ben300
03-18-2013, 12:17 PM
what grease does honda recomend to use for the axle bearings and the swing arm pivot bolt?

thanks

CJM
03-18-2013, 03:57 PM
IDK what they use, but I use red hi temp wheel bearing grease.

JOHNDOE83
03-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Honda of course would reccomend a "honda" brand grease.

Hi temp bearing grease like cjm said would be best, the motor gets hot, hot grease melts, the swinger bolt goes through the motor..etc.

I didnt have hi temp grease at the time I built my EX, I used antiseize and marine grease several times after that.

The bolt came out easy, but it was obvious that grease had melted away slightly.

Hi temp if your not gonna touch that bolt for a long time, marine or antiseize if you take it out regularly is ok.

Dont ever listen to the dealer, the dealer is nothing but a salesmen.

A certified service tech at "honda" asked me why I needed to re-jet my carb one time. I looked at him and went "Are you fuggin kidding me".

I never went back after that.

CJM
03-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Speaking ofbad dealer expierances..

I once decided to let a dealer jet my 400 back when I first had it as I was having issues with it not running right with the 416 setup.

They turned the air/fuel screw out a few turns and I almost managed to burn the topend up nicely. Thank god I caught it in time. yep thats "jetting it" according to them. Even tho the invoice CLEARLY stated "jet for 416 kit".

JOHNDOE83
03-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread....lol.

I was at the drag strip, this guy had just built his ltr and it was backfiring bad on decel, when he was trying to drag race at full rpm it popped and backfired "with flame" badly.

The guy who built it for him "owns a well known shop close by" kept saying I dont know why, it should run fine, everythings fine I dont have a explaination. "thats what I over heard them saying right next to me"

So I went over and said, hey man Im pretty sure we can fix that if you have some extra jets laying around.

They both rudely said to me, its backfiring its not a jetting problem! So I asked if they jetted it after the build and again rudely said no we didnt, its not jetting related.

So I walked away laughing, later that day his bored camed ported valved ltr450 got beat by a 14 year old on a non bored non camd 08 400ex.

I only found out he was the owner of the local shop and sponsered part of the event after I told some friends of mine what had happend.

I said to them, ARE YOU SERIOUS, you guys told me to take my hybrid to that guy for a bore and port job!!!

Glad I didnt have the money at the time now, I will only go with the top name builders after that and will gladly pay extra to ship it off somewhere like trinity or ftz or another big name builder.

Sorry had to vent, we were already on the subject by default...lol.

CJM
03-18-2013, 05:28 PM
While we are on the topic I got another:

Was just at the local shop today to setup a friend for a bore and new piston for his 400ex.

Guy throws in gaskets for XX dollars. Im like we got gaskets, he says what type? I tell him they are cometic. Well ya know they are super thick and such and rob a slight bit of compression and blah blah. Then he looks at the bore and goes: what oil you use? Rotella we say. He says thats a car oil you need to use belray or maxima, you will get more life out of it etc.

FFS its damn oil and it works fine...

hondaREX
03-18-2013, 05:40 PM
I use Lucas red n tacky #2. Great stuff. Waterproof grease with anti-seize.

Otis.Leo
03-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by ben300
what grease does honda recomend to use for the axle bearings and the swing arm pivot bolt?

thanks

Forget the Honda grease. You can use any brand of grease that you could put in the bearings on a boat trailer. I sell grease as part of my job and thats my recommendation. Fights water and holds up to heat on top of it. Also helps the seals keep there tight fit to the shaft because it is a little thicker but totally capable of keeping the carrier and bears all lubed up.
This is what I sell a lot of, and use in everything we own that has a motor.

http://www.lubriplate.com/Products/Multi-Purpose-Greases/No-1200-2.aspx

duneslider
03-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
Sorry to hijack this thread....lol.

So I went over and said, hey man Im pretty sure we can fix that if you have some extra jets laying around.

t day his bored camed ported valved ltr450 got beat by a 14 year old on a non bored non camd 08 400ex.

I thought the LTR450 was fuel injected and therefore wouldn't have jets? At least that's how all the ones are that I have been around. I can't see why anyone would take the fuel injection off and stick a regular carb on it either? I have been around a lot of wild fuel injected atv's and it makes me jealous they don't have to mess with jetting.

Oh, when you look into getting your engine work done on your cr250 motor check out Eric Gorr. You WON'T be disappointed. The guy is amazing.

ben300
03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by hondaREX
I use Lucas red n tacky #2. Great stuff. Waterproof grease with anti-seize.

I ended up buying a tube of the Lucas. I looked at all the other grease at the store I was at, and just looking at the temp it breaks down at (540°f vs 260°F), I went for the protection. It'll probably never see temps that high around the swing arm pivot bolt, but just in case.

This will be my first time changing the carrier bearings and greasing the pivot bolt, so I went hog wild and ordered all the bearings, seals, gaskets, o-rings, canueter valves, headlight bearings, etc.. So in gonna give it a go lol

JOHNDOE83
03-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Im not sure, I was thinking about that also.

I know alot of things went to fuel injection, Im not sure if early ltr were fuel injection or not.

Either way, with fuel injection your supposed to add more fuel anyway by computer mapping or whatever they do.

Even with fuel injection there needs to be a jet or nozzle that sprays the fuel, even if you increase the computers fuel output sometimes the jet or nozzle is still to small.

After that, the guy still could have said its EFI we cant just change a jet, then I would have understood, It looked like there was a carb on it?

Im not familiar with these computerized boxes at all anyway.

I know my friends R1 had a new pipe put on it and he had to take it and get it mapped somewhere to add fuel.

Whats strange is you can use a box fogger NOS kit and it fills your airbox so the computer adds its own extra fuel, yet you need to add fuel with a computer device for a exhaust.

Damn technology crap.

CJM
03-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Problem is the system on those fuel injected bikes runs in a open loop system. Whereas the computer in a car would automatically adjust, the atvs dont adjust at all. The machine only knows to put x amount of fuel in, it cant learn like some cars can to add more fuel.

So what has to be done is remap the ecu with a laptop or install a power commander with some presets that can compensate for mods.

Problem is this means every oneof these quads needs the following on it: battery (to power the ecu at all times) throttle position sensor (to meter the gas flow), oxygen sensor (monitor combustion), throttle bodies (infact most of the ones used on bikes/quads look similar to an early 90's chevy setup the way it works lol-just squirts some fuel in the throttlebody and has a butterfly valve), and of course theres a fuel pump and perhaps a regulator in the system. Overly complicated!!!!

Thing is you can reflash the ECU (overwriting the old program so you better get it right!!!) or hook up something like a power commander which interrupts and changes the program after the ecu like a piggyback setup.

Anyways if you do up an LTR, you gotta reflash ot at least piggyback the ecu-otherwise it can compensate and goes nutty. I prefer a carb, yea its dated and yea it can h ave its issue-but its rather simple and works. In a EFI setup if oneof the sensors goes bad or gets a wrong reading game over.

laxman1306
03-22-2013, 07:02 PM
i use lucas oil red and tacky...i work in auto parts and we sell that more than any other grease and thats all i use on anything i need to grease...it never fails