PDA

View Full Version : What to use to pilish and how to do it!?

Narly R
03-15-2003, 02:42 PM
I need to know what to use to polish like my side pannel and a few other little parts, and how do you do it, please give every little detail and helpful hints! What could I do to polish my wheels? Thanks Im trin to get my bike to look sweet since I just re-did it!!:cool:

Narly R
03-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Ok now I see that you guys are using either mothers or compounds. What are these. AndI can polish aluminum right? How do I do this and where do I get the polishing stuff?! Thanks!

Narly R
03-15-2003, 03:46 PM
Um, I kinda need help...................:rolleyes:

Sparky416ex
03-15-2003, 04:24 PM
go to the store and get any aluminum polish...personally i wouldnt recommend mothers (sorry) i like wenol or flits....oh and buy a rag while your there....go home and polish on some aluminum, try it out

exrider123
03-15-2003, 04:39 PM
This kinda stuff stuff has been posted alout just search for "polishing" it will all eventually make sense on how to polish

Narly R
03-15-2003, 04:55 PM
I did couldnt find much! Do I sand the part down first before putting polish on it????

muff
03-16-2003, 12:18 AM
ok I'll try to answer all of your questions

most people only polish aluminum because it doesnt rust

just use like normal polish to clean the wheels because if you try to get them looking like a mirror w/ compounds and stuff it'll take you forever

I use compounds, they are the way to go if you want the best results, I use the tripoli and white rouge compounds, a good starter kit is the "aluminum manifold kit" from www.eastwoodcompany.com for $55 you get a can of clear coat, the 2 compounds you need, and assorted buffing wheels..You also need to get a buff rake which is $10 it cleans the buff. For this kit you need an air compressor and a die grinder, if you dont want to buy a compressor, but have a bench grinder, you can order some buffing wheels that will fit your bench grinder and you can just use those

you'll need to sand the part if it has scratches or is dull looking, depending on the depth of the scratches, i go from 120 to 240 to 400 to 600 to 1000 and sometimes 1500 wet

Narly R
03-16-2003, 05:51 AM
Hey, thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like your the only one that knows how to polish around here!:rolleyes: :D

anywhereEx
03-16-2003, 06:26 AM
Muff pretty much explained the process. after that you will have to keep it up. Or sand to 1500 and try this:

I can tell you some good polish to use but it is not cheap. It is $20 for 16oz liquid. It seems rediculously high but it only takes a few drips and takes half of the time to maintain.

Oh and for you mothers guys try this and it will definitly make a diffrence.

Threw my mothers and never dull away:macho

http://www.heavymetalpolish.com/Products/Polishes/

I was told about this polish by somone that has the nicest bikes out there...

nacs400ex
03-16-2003, 08:26 AM
I use a Bench Grinder and a dye grinder. I attach polishing wheels to them... and then get to work with the compounds. I just got some from my local hardware store. So far I have only done my lever, and motor mounts. I am going to do the side cases sometime too.

Narly R
03-16-2003, 01:20 PM
I did my wheels and bumper and grab bar! I went to NAPA and bought some, not shure what its called, works pretty well. Im not too worried about it since it will be muddy half the time!:devil Once I get my engine I will do the side cases! Maybe my case saver!?

hessianmx111
03-16-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
Hey, thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like your the only one that knows how to polish around here!:rolleyes: :D

actually alot of people do they just dont like having to explain it more than 200 times, if you truly searched for polishing and didnt find out how to do it you must be really illiterate. i dont mean to sound like an arse but your comment come to me as being a smart arse :confused:

Narly R
03-16-2003, 04:44 PM
Hey sorry, I didnt mean it that way!! I was just thinkin it was a easy process, so there wouldnt be much to put. And when I saw that it took just as much to say to search as to how to do it I got kinda mad. I did search and could find how to do it, but thanks for the help yall!!!!!