PDA

View Full Version : At a crossroads.. Need some advice

theduke300
03-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Alright guys. back around Christmas time, I blew up my 2001 banshee. I didn't have the money to fix it, because I'm 14 and hardly ever get to work anytime besides the summer. I ran across a good deal, and traded the banshee for 1991 jeep wrangler. The wrangler runs out good and would be good on gas when I'm 16, being a 4 cylinder 5 speed. But I'm really missing having a quad, and am trying decide to get one now or wait until later. I could sell the jeep, and get enough cash to buy a nice yfz or 450r. And that would be great, til I'm 16 and can't afford a vehicle. I'll have to by my own vehicle with my own money. I could work all this summer and save all I could, but I still don't know if I'll be able to make enough to buy a quad.. I just need help deciding, keep the jeep and go quad less for atleast another year, or sell the jeep, buy a quad, and worry about a vehicle when the time comes. Anyone's advice is welcome. Thanks

CJM
03-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Well if you cant legally drive the jeep right now its kinda pointless to have right?

slightlybent47
03-13-2013, 09:25 PM
That is a tuff decision for a youngster. Your young and should be able to enjoy your youth without having to sacrifice for a car at this point in your life. But on the other hand, it’s good that you are thinking ahead and want to have a car ready when you can drive.

A car of any kind will deteriorate over time, even without being used. So having one now is kina of jumping the gun.
Welcome to the dilemma of growing up and being responsible.lol

I can’t tell you what you should or shouldn’t do, but I would want to have something I could use till I was old enough to drive.
One thing I can tell you is, cars are a dime a dozen and can be replaced very easily, so don’t get too attached to it, after all, it’s just a chunk of steal.

beastlywarrior
03-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Decent fuel mileage with any wrangler is doubtful

cloudpump
03-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Get rid of the jeep. you could pick up a 6 cyl when you are 16 and it will be worth it. 4cyl is bullet proof, but way underpowered.

derekhonda
03-14-2013, 08:20 PM
If you think you can trade the wrangler for a 450 (even if you have to add a little cash), why in the world wouldn't you do it?

Here's how I look at it. You had a blown up 12 year old banshee, now you have a working jeep.... that could turn in to a decent working quad, that could be sold for a $1500-2500 car in 2 years. Seems like an easy decision to me. Actually sounds like you need to go on that show where you keep trading stuff til you get something good!

KKiowaTJ
03-14-2013, 09:19 PM
I have had a jeep since i was your age and a quad/bike off and on. Being your in a good area of the country, Sell the YJ.
Unless its a POS rusted out jeep, It will net around $3k. Top in good condition and matching paint helps too. But its still a running wrangler and will bring $2000. You cant drive it, Sell it.

Buy a cheaper quad and make do. Your still riding, Just not as cool as you would prefer. Take the differnce and save it and build it up. A z400 or 400ex can be had easy for around $1500.

I just got a truck full time, I have only owned jeeps, Its a PITA to haul them around even with a trailer. A 4 cyl 5 speed truck will net good mpg and haul a quad. My jeep gets 15/15 and it is built correct so no lack of this or that, Its a brick on wheels into the wind.

By the time you save up for a truck or ? you will be able to work and have a good down payment or most if not all out right. You can also buy a junker, Clean it up and flip it for more money and make cash that way.

A YJ is a easy, Great platform for a set of one ton's and a 350TBI swap so unless it has cancer chassis or body wise, You have a good shot at best of both worlds. To each their own though, Good luck either way

theduke300
03-15-2013, 09:23 PM
I really appreciate all the replies guys. And I think I've got my mind made up. Gunna sell the jeep and buy a quad. I can buy a decent 450, maybe a little older but a good quad for 2500 around here. Might even just trade the jeep if I find the right quad. My jeep surprisingly has 0 rust. A few dents and dings, but no rust at all. I hav the upper and lower doors and a Bikini top. I really appreciate it guys. If I get it traded or sold, I'll be sure to keep you guys posted. Thanks

jcs003
03-16-2013, 12:49 PM
keep the jeep and work on it a lil at a time for the next couple of years. if i were you id save for a blaster in the mean time. good luck.

john

CJM
03-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
keep the jeep and work on it a lil at a time for the next couple of years. if i were you id save for a blaster in the mean time. good luck.

john

Jeep had a six in it Id say the same, but with the 4cyl its gutless and horrible.

rbgnwa45
03-16-2013, 07:00 PM
- gas prices in 2 years +++ the 4 cyl may suck but in 2 years may be much more forgiving on your wallet and for a young person saving money is reeeeally a requirement

- you can't drive the jeep yet but you could modify and have something great that no other young person has

- by grade 10-11-12 you will want a vehicle for a social life

- saving for a vehicle at minimum wage (around $10/hour @ 40-50 hours a week) takes 3-4 months if you have no expenses.

- if you have no one to ride with it can get boring

- you may have to dump big money into the jeep over that time

Skip this if bikes are out of the question but I think I can make you consider em:

Maybe bikes aren't your thing but a ~98 CR250 is around $1200 and I'm in Canada where the prices are +15% compared to the states just because. They have insane performance compared to a (stockish) quad and are cheap to fix. Riding a bike feels like riding a horse and a quad feels like a... fast rhino or something (they actually run very fast lol). The weight difference makes a bike feel very pointed, darty, light and maneuverable. You can't powerslide (as safely lol) but the gain of feeling "free-er" can be as enjoyble. Less arm pump, better suspension S. for S. The "non-comfortability/unsafe feeling" thing that my quad friends talk about after riding a bike is invalid as you get used to it within hours! I can ride both very well, have roughly the same hours on both and have come to the conclusion that unless I hit a hidden stump in the woods on a bike with the front tire or cant get enough traction I feel safer on a bike because of the free-er feeling. especially jumping anything. the added bonus is that you can jump uneven surfaces on a bike. A 250 2strk would provide the same power-now-thrill your banshee had but with more go. If the back tire slides out under power that should spike your heart rate LOL!

CJM
03-16-2013, 07:52 PM
The 4cyl gets horrible mpg period. In order to push the sucker around decently you gotta really get into the skinny pedal.

Thats why people unload the 4cyl jeeps for cheap or trade them off. Or if they got the coin they swap a 6cyl or V8 in there

KKiowaTJ
03-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Any 4cyl jeep is a build platform for v8 swaps and ton's or bigger.

They get the same, Maybe 1-2 mpg more but its still a box into the wind and very under powered compared to my 4.0l. If you want to run 31" tires at a decent pace at 65mph you will have to downshift to 4th and push 3500rpm+.

To fix that is a re-gear and thats $1500+ for master kits, 4.88 Gears and labor. You just cant throw the in there and no shadetree can do it correct. Plus the 30/35 axles are crap and wont hold up unless you dump more $$.

If its a 8-9 out of 10, You might be able to pull $3500 is this market for a person looking for a starting platform. But check out local jeeps and conditions etc and then pick a price.

theduke300
03-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys. Thiers two on Craigslist for 2500 that are about the same year as mine. One is rusted down to nothing, and the other a blown headgasket. All the others I see are like upwards of 3500. And thanks for the dirt bike info, but my old man is dead set against it. He had a younger brother get killed on a dirt bike, and he's always said no way on the dirt bikes.

beastlywarrior
03-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Trade the jeep for a quad then in a couple years trade the quad for a truck

KKiowaTJ
03-17-2013, 10:31 AM
If chit jeeps are pulling $2k in a box, Id slap $3800 obo on it and stand firm at $3500 for a bit unless the other running jeeps like yours are higher priced and then price it in the middle and pick a firm bottom, But dont take it right away.

A jeep is like a harley, It will always have more value in a box than another running. You should be able to buy a quad and have a decent down payment on a ?? when you turn of age.
Dont get in a hurry and give it away so you can be on a quad in a week, Get a good sum and them find a good quad that will last and wont cost an arm and left nut.

finsteratv
03-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Maybe keep the jeep and buy a dirtbike...? Just a thought. If you don't like the jeep all that much then I'd just sell it and get a little truck later on.

theduke300
03-24-2013, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by finsteratv
Maybe keep the jeep and buy a dirtbike...? Just a thought. If you don't like the jeep all that much then I'd just sell it and get a little truck later on.

I really like the jeep, but I think I'd rather have a truck when I'm 16 so I don't have to trailer a quad around with me.

finsteratv
03-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by theduke300
I really like the jeep, but I think I'd rather have a truck when I'm 16 so I don't have to trailer a quad around with me. same way I looked at it but really a trailer isn't that bad, and is easy to load....plus having an SUV leaves more room for gear and such and when not riding......Women!