PDA

View Full Version : Nerf Bars

platinum350
03-13-2013, 10:48 AM
Been looking around at some nerf bars for my '07 400ex and wanted some suggestions. I see some offer heel protection replacing the stock heel protectors, while other nerf bars work with the OEM heel protectors.

Looking for suggestions on something that's affordable with good protection. I saw Rocks Nerf bars which looked nice but pricey.

quad2xtreme
03-13-2013, 11:46 AM
I was so happy with these on my 400ex I bought a set for my 450r. These have room for a size 12 boot and you can still run 22" tires if you ever have the need.

http://www.xfrproatv.com/home/index.php

Call the guy. You will be surprised at the price compared to others. I think the full set with heelguards and pegs is $270. I got a full 6-pack rack bumper for $70. You are usually looking at around $350 and $100 respectively.

I had my stuff within 3 days.

quadmanw
03-13-2013, 11:47 AM
I've never seen those but they look legit.. I've ran pro armor with heal guards for about 3 years now... Just stay away from AC

CJM
03-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Get theones with full heel guards and whatnot. The plastic stock heel guards will break the first time.

I have tusk nerfs, been super happy with them and they only cost me like 175 bucks.

quad2xtreme
03-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Get theones with full heel guards and whatnot. The plastic stock heel guards will break the first time.

I have tusk nerfs, been super happy with them and they only cost me like 175 bucks.

I tried the tusk ones first and sent them back because I didn't have enough room in the heel guards for my boots. I like the ball of my foot on the peg.

/Jon

platinum350
03-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Cool, thanks for the suggestions! I could imagine the stock plastic heel guards would crack.

platinum350
03-13-2013, 01:10 PM
How about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200369647950&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

CJM
03-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by platinum350
How about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200369647950&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en exact ones I have, Im quite happy with them tbh.

platinum350
03-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by CJM
exact ones I have, Im quite happy with them tbh.

Good to hear, I like the price of these too! Think I'll go with them.

250ex 2010
03-13-2013, 03:08 PM
x2 on the tusk/rock/alba nerfs. I dont actually have them but have rode with some and like them alot and they are cheap. I currently have AC's,which I like, on my 400 but my next will prob be Alba (they come in black). If you have the money def go with ones with pegs and built in heel gaurds.

-matt

CJM
03-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Be wary of the albas/rock. Although they appear to be mostly the same, the front mounts with this stupid tube/tab and it often fails.

platinum350
03-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by 250ex 2010
x2 on the tusk/rock/alba nerfs. I dont actually have them but have rode with some and like them alot and they are cheap. I currently have AC's,which I like, on my 400 but my next will prob be Alba (they come in black). If you have the money def go with ones with pegs and built in heel gaurds.

-matt

I also like the look of the black but do they hold up as well as the silver/polished? I imagine the black would chip...unless they're not actually painted.

platinum350
03-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by CJM
exact ones I have, Im quite happy with them tbh.

CJM, do you have any problems with room? Like between the heel guard and the peg? I wear a size 12 boot so wanna make sure they're be room to move around.

CJM
03-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Nope, Im a sz 12 as well and have no issues. I do wear workboots tho not riding boots.

platinum350
03-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Sweet, I'm going to be placing a order. Best price I ofund so far was with RockyMountain for $170.

250ex 2010
03-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Before you order u may want to go to the open forum. There was a thread last week with a promo code for 10% off tusk brand products.
-Matt

ben300
03-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by platinum350
Sweet, I'm going to be placing a order. Best price I ofund so far was with RockyMountain for $170.

I just bought these myself and recieved them yesterday. Marc, were your two subframe brackets in different positions or do mine have a manufacturing error?

ben300
03-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by 250ex 2010
Before you order u may want to go to the open forum. There was a thread last week with a promo code for 10% off tusk brand products.
-Matt

Promocode expired on Monday

platinum350
03-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the promo...sucks I missed it. Where did you guys order from?

CJM
03-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by ben300
I just bought these myself and recieved them yesterday. Marc, were your two subframe brackets in different positions or do mine have a manufacturing error?

Mine if I recall lined up pretty good. I had to use some ratchet straps and a small jack to line some of the brackets up but Ive found that standard for most nerfs.

FYI: Go to the hardware store and find replacement bolts. The stuff the nerfs come with is cheap crap.

quad2xtreme
03-20-2013, 10:38 AM
These are the XFR pro nerfs I got for $270. Not sure how you guys can deal with the limited heel space on the Tusk brand wearing a size 12 boot. It positioned my foot too far forward on the peg. Maybe you guys don't stand much so your heel is never really flat. There is still room to mount 22" tires with no rubbing.

quad2xtreme
03-20-2013, 10:42 AM
One from the back...still with 20" tires on here that I run 90% of the time.

CJM
03-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Curious, how does the back of the nerf bar attach to the frame and plastics? it looks like it eliminates the plastic mount in the back?

KKiowaTJ
03-20-2013, 12:27 PM
I went to a friends last weekend and he has the R.O.C.K ones? I never herd of them but saw them mentioned in here.

I wear size 13 and got on his 02' and they straight up suck. I couldnt get my arch of foot centered let alone ride on the ball or dance around like i do. Its a fixed one position to me. I asked him how he like them and said fine, No problems with your foot getting caught? He said no and he's a size 15.

I like the tusk ones, Also like the above, But not enough to pay an extra $100 bucks for a part i buy every couple years. With the way they are made, Im just going to heat up the heel guard and pound out the room i need. The aluminum used is flimsy as it is so wont be too hard to add a few inches on each side.

Anyone know if the tusk/rock are one in the same except for the tag? They look from what i have seen, But have not seen nor sat or stood with a tusk set on. Just curious if they are a knock off of each other or?

Yeah, You get what ya pay for, But i had graydon pro lines last just as long and they were #1 for a couple decades. IMO they are there to be used as bumpers and fail safe for jumps.

CJM
03-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Tusk is different from the rock/alba in where they mount to the front.

On the tusk ones, they have a welded on tab that mounts to the motor mount. The rock/alba uses a bolt on piece that fits into the tube and tends to break off/is a weak point.

I never had an issue with my feet being to large to be comfortable on my tusk nerfs. But I dont like riding boots (to freaking bulky and uncomfy) and wear workboots so that might be it. I am a sz 12 too.

KKiowaTJ
03-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Tusk is different from the rock/alba in where they mount to the front.

On the tusk ones, they have a welded on tab that mounts to the motor mount. The rock/alba uses a bolt on piece that fits into the tube and tends to break off/is a weak point.

I never had an issue with my feet being to large to be comfortable on my tusk nerfs. But I dont like riding boots (to freaking bulky and uncomfy) and wear workboots so that might be it. I am a sz 12 too.

Thats good to know they are a differnt attach design and not a copy. I hate to say it, But i ride in DC shoes or the like. I have boots etc, But dont feel comfortable with them. Add nerfs and your not chancing much less a hard landing. But im not too big into jumping, Just trails and so far no problems.

Guess ill be saving for some tusk ones and give them a shot. The AC bolt-ons are about shot lol. Held up great though. I seen someone mentioned to stay away from AC, Is there a reason why? Or just outdated and better can be had for same $$?

quad2xtreme
03-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by KKiowaTJ
I seen someone mentioned to stay away from AC, Is there a reason why? Or just outdated and better can be had for same $$?

I have a full set of AC pro nerfs with heel guards for the 450r. I can take a picture of and send to you if you interested. I never had any problem with them except they are a bit rough on the soles of your boots. Let me know. I'd sell them for $100 shipped. IMO, the ACs were great. No issue bolting them up and no cracks or anything. I only ran them about 2 months though.

CJM
03-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Friend of mine has AC, they look really cheap and shoddy. The peg is literally molded into and is a part of the whole nerfs. His are totally shot but he doesnt care. I have a set of AC's on my 450 (came with them) and while they are ok I like my tusk setup better. Although they do have the crossbar for the frame which is nice-too bad it doesnt attach to anything. Mine are better than my friends setup, the peg part bolts on/off.

Im sold on tusk honestly, 3 years of beating them and no problems except I lost a bolt here or there. I guess if you were jumping mx or freestyle all day long they wouldnt hold up. I did manage to destroy the nets tho, simple drill and a ziptie holes them together-Ill put the new nets on when they finally are to shot.

I ran over my foot once when I just had the stock pegs and learned that I rather have nerfs with heel guards and wear work boots at least.

quad2xtreme
03-20-2013, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CJM
Curious, how does the back of the nerf bar attach to the frame and plastics? it looks like it eliminates the plastic mount in the back? [/QUOTE

They don't mount to the plastic or the subframe. I have these same nerfs on the 400ex and was concerned I'd bend them downward but it hasn't happened. Granted though, I am not landing short from 60' mx jumps. The 400ex is 100% a trail quad as is the 450r now.

I use the Walsh fender brackets since I got tired of replacing stock brackets. I've seen a few other replacement brackets that are nice too...and much cheaper.

CJM
03-20-2013, 02:47 PM
So they dont attach anywhere to the frame by the plastic mounts? Thats kinda weak point.

ya know Ive never managed to break those brackets on my R yet. IDK how people even break them.

quad2xtreme
03-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by CJM
So they dont attach anywhere to the frame by the plastic mounts? Thats kinda weak point.

ya know Ive never managed to break those brackets on my R yet. IDK how people even break them.

Many of the brands no longer connect to subframe because of guys lowering the subframe, etc. Lonestar and Houser come to mind as two others that no longer mount to subframe.

Racing MX and really leaning into the back fender. It just folds. After you bend then straighten them too many times it just snaps. I notice it most when going down a hill into an off camber corner that shoots back up the hill.

I tried taking the front fender extensions off once too. I couldn't ride at all. I never realized how much I wedged my knees into the front fenders going into turns.

quad2xtreme
03-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by CJM

Many of the brands no longer connect to subframe because of guys lowering the subframe, etc. Lonestar and Houser come to mind as two others that no longer mount to subframe.

Racing MX and really leaning into the back fender. It just folds. After you bend then straighten them too many times it just snaps. I notice it most when going down a hill into an off camber corner that shoots back up the hill.

I tried taking the front fender extensions off once too. I couldn't ride at all. I never realized how much I wedged my knees into the front fenders going into turns. You have to take into consideration I am 6' 5.5" tall too.

CJM
03-20-2013, 05:59 PM
I hear ya, I suppose if they engineered the pro peg pretty good it should hold up. hell my AC's are literally friction fit!

So thats how they break those brackets, I dont race so I doubt Ill ever have that issue lol.

quad2xtreme
03-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Rocky Mountain code good through March 31st for 10% off:

Tusk
Primary Drive
Motion Pro
Honda lubes
Yamalubes
Belray Lubes

Enter SAVE2013 upon checkout in the coupon field.

KKiowaTJ
03-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
I have a full set of AC pro nerfs with heel guards for the 450r. I can take a picture of and send to you if you interested. I never had any problem with them except they are a bit rough on the soles of your boots. Let me know. I'd sell them for $100 shipped. IMO, the ACs were great. No issue bolting them up and no cracks or anything. I only ran them about 2 months though.

My funds are pretty low right now but i am interested. If you could, Send me some pic's to miked90123@aol. Ill most likely shift some bills around and find a loop hole:devil: soon lol.

Pretty much the only downside to the AC is a sawblade peg? That and the crossbar? IIRC the pro peg lowers the peg an 1", Instead of the bolt-on tubes its just a bar through the chassis for strength?

Just curious is all, When they were comming out i was getting out of the sport and the ones i have came with.

CJM
03-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Flap disc in a grinder can fix the pegs a bit. I did it to my tusk nerfs cause they are like razors otherwise lol.