PDA

View Full Version : Red Temp Light

exrida
03-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Im new to the 450r's :blah: and when i went riding this morning around the yard the light came on when in the first 30 min tops. Dont understand how it could overheat so fast. Is there anything that could be wrong? :confused:

CJM
03-13-2013, 08:42 AM
When COLD pull the radiator cap and fill with coolant if its low. Start and let run without the cap on for about 10-15 min to get air bubbled out.

Willing to bet your low on coolant, or the lights shorted out. My light hardly ever comes on.

exrida
03-13-2013, 08:53 AM
What kind of coolant would you suggest and could there possibly be a leak in it sumwhere?

exrida
03-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by CJM
When COLD pull the radiator cap and fill with coolant if its low. Start and let run without the cap on for about 10-15 min to get air bubbled out.

Willing to bet your low on coolant, or the lights shorted out. My light hardly ever comes on.

Im almost thinking the same now that you mention it i think it might be low because the fan wasnt on when i started driving but when the light came on it was

CJM
03-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Plain old green coolant has worked for me. I like the undiluted kinda b/c I tend to mix my own, but the 50/50 (premixed) is probably a better idea since you will only use it on the quad.

I dont believe in all those fancy engine ice additives or special coolants.

exrida
03-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Plain old green coolant has worked for me. I like the undiluted kinda b/c I tend to mix my own, but the 50/50 (premixed) is probably a better idea since you will only use it on the quad.

I dont believe in all those fancy engine ice additives or special coolants.

does it need to be silicate free? and could there possibly be a leak?

CJM
03-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Almost all coolants are silicate free these days. In all honesty theres prestone green in my 450 right now and I dont even remember if the bottle stated it was silicate free or not.

Possible theres a leak, clean everything off and fill it and let run. You see anything coming out you know theres an issue obviously.

exrida
03-13-2013, 10:02 AM
thanks a bunch ill let you know later on after im done work how things go

exrida
03-14-2013, 05:43 AM
Found out the light was shorting itself out at the socket...