PDA

View Full Version : Rekluse Clutch Questions for Mx?

duke721
03-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Hey guys just bought a quad with a rekluse clutch on it just was wondering what everybody thoughts were on with using this clutch for mx racing?

Thanks

duke721
03-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Nobody ever ran one? any help at all guys?

blacknblue#2
03-11-2013, 06:02 PM
I personally have never ran one but there is an ltr in our series that runs one for mx. You can't beat that thing in the holeshot. It's fast as Hell off the gate.

Exrider434
03-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Way too much slip no engine braking no good for bike mx idk about quads though

deathman53
03-12-2013, 06:34 AM
Rekluse is only as good as you set it up. Personally me, mine is set to mid rpm enagagement and 27 tungsten balls. It rips right off the line and doesn't slip much.

duke721
03-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys, anybody else? Gonna start riding over my spring break hopefully can get use to it.

JOHNDOE83
03-12-2013, 12:52 PM
a clutch is a clutch.

unless your using a lock up clutch all others are the same.

Ive wasted my money on $100-$300 clutches with no noticeable change.

The best clutch ive ever owned is a $45 tusk clutch kit with HD springs.

A clutch should only slip when its going bad, Ive never had a $45 clutch slip on me yet.

Holeshot has nothing to do with clutch unless its completely worn out, holeshot is based on traction and HP.

I do LOTS of drag racing, in fact thats all I do and these $45 clutches have been AWESOME!!!!

deathman53
03-12-2013, 01:40 PM
yes....to a point. Rekluse makes auto clutches, "anti-stall" clutches. I love it, it makes riding much easier and gear selection doesn't have to be as picky, especially with vehicles with really light flywheels. Lets take my hybrid crf450r. The crf motor in a 250r chassis rips and accelerators really good, but the small light flywheel on the dirtbike motor, that never was designed for a quad. Well, it has the tendency to stall if you slow down, don't pull the clutch in, lock the rear brake, don't pull the clutch in or slow for a turn and gas it out of the corner and in too high of a gear. The only way around that is "feathering" the clutch, but that is kinda hard to predict on 4 strokes, 2 strokes are a totally different animal and are much easier to "pop" start in such a case. Almost the only way I can stall my hybrid quad is giving it gas and rear brake at the same time.
In the enduro club I am in, many of them use rekluse auto clutches and some have left hand rear brakes. They say that it allows you to concentrate more on what is in front of you and what you need to do, than slow down, clutch, shift down, exit turn, accelerate, clutch, shift up, just to get the next corner and do the same. They run it a gear high and let the clutch slip the small time it needs to prevent it from stalling and pay attention to the terrain and riding more. I find it very similar on my quad and can't imagine riding a 4 stroke, especially easily stalled "new breed" 4 stroke w/o it. I pay more attention to the track, than gear selection and if you stall it, also it much more safely allows clutch-less shifting, as when you let off the gas, the clutch disconnects. This could lead to bad things to new riders though. The older 4 strokes are far less likely to stall, so they aren't an issue.
The downside of it is, if you are a inexperienced rider you can easily start in 3rd gear and run several gears high and you will over-heat the motor and/or burn out the clutch.

duke721
03-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Had to read it a couple times but i understand what your saying thanks i appreciate you taking the time to explain, im excited to see how it is out on a track!

duke721
03-15-2013, 03:36 PM
anybody out there that runs a rekluse for mx?

duke721
03-18-2013, 11:08 PM
One last bump, any help guys?

quad2xtreme
03-19-2013, 06:59 AM
It is expensive (~$1,000) and I am not sure you can get one but what you truly want is a Hinson slipper clutch. It provides zero engine braking which provides big advantages going into and out of corners as well as through braking bumps. The pros run these.

This isn't the same with a Rekluse which acts as a centrifugal clutch. If it is spinning fast enough, it will grip and provide engine braking...which you actually don't want. That is a huge advantage to two strokes. Much easier to go off jumps too when you aren't concerned with engine braking.

My advice is to reach out to a few pros and talk to them about the benefits and talk to Hinson to see if you can get one.

Added:

Ok, I just googled it and they are available to general public. Read up on it. It is what you want for MX if the price isn't too steep. From what I've heard, it will help reduce your lap times far cheaper than trying to add a few additional hp. Of course, it isn't going to get provide any holeshot advantage.