PDA

View Full Version : Opinions

CaptainCanuck
03-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Getting back into the atv market and I don't know which to buy. I have a budget that will fetch me about an 08 Raptor 700 or an 08 outlaw 525. I don't race, just all trail riding. My previous quad was a 400ex and I liked everything about it but I want more power. I'm looking for reliability and I don't want a 450 based on the amount I'd have to rebuild. Out of the two, which would you buy?

CJM
03-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Neither.

Buy another 400ex if you want a dead reliable trail machine or a 450r if you want more power.

Raptor has good power but is heavy and I find them to be very top heavy and tippy. However they are fairly reliable and pretty decent.

I wouldnt bother looking at the KTM 9thats what the 525 polaris is), if you think rebuilding a 450 is $$$ then forget the KTM-MUCH more $$$. Buddy of mine has one, the parts are like double the price of most stuff and he finds the motor although very good is poorly designed to work on.

Where do you ride and what type of rider are you? Dunes, trails, mx, racing, etc?

If your just busting down down trails a 400ex with a hotcam and 11:1 piston will rock.

CaptainCanuck
03-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Planning on hitting a little everything. I'm a big guy 6'3'' 215, a little heavier of a quad doesn't bother me. I'd rather have the power of a raptor and have the ability to widen it as opposed to get the 400 and invest in the motor.

Good insight on the Ktm piece though. Completely over looked that one.

How long can a 450r go without being rebuilt? I don't beat my stuff at all and I'm pretty good with maintenance.

quadrcr161
03-10-2013, 09:07 PM
I would go with another 400ex, you can't beat the handling and realibility. If you want more power do a 416 or 440 kit. Raptors have never been the best handling. Also you can either lug or beat on the 400, my 450 has never liked being lugged around.

CJM
03-10-2013, 09:21 PM
All depends on how much you ride it really. IDK how many hours mine has (got it used) but it runs like a champ except needing the valves done, which makes it hard to start cold.

Thing is, the 400 is the single most reliable machine. Believe me I have one and Im not 100% sure how many hours are on it b/c I got it used, but Ive put on at least 800 hours over the years, 2 topends and some other misc stuff and it finally appears the cranks going. I really beat my stuff up even if I do take care of it, so it hasnt lived an easy life. Draw back is poor engine, which is remidied by higher comp pistons and a stage2 hotcam. I easily keep up with 450s. Infact riding my stock 04 today I can tell you the 400ex was def better in the torque dept as well as possibly horsepower.

We had a guy today with a mostly stock 700 raptor, the power didnt impress me at all. He had decent power but the 450s were lighter, handled better and had better overall power Id say.

slightlybent47
03-11-2013, 04:41 AM
Not to put down your ridding skills but most people never really use all the power they have on tap. With the exception of long straightaway’s, the ex is a solid machine and has been proven to be reliable with over a decade of abuse, and is still a machine that is use as a comparison, even today, more then any other machine on the market.
For trail riding, it’s a great choice.

bbender85
03-11-2013, 06:33 AM
this whole "450's are extremely high maintainence" belief puzzles me; you mean to tell me a modded out 400ex is going to be more reliable than a stock 450? lol. i can tell you from personal experience that is not always true.

get a 450 that hasn't been beaten on or modded.. you'll be happy. take care of it. hell my LTR has one and a half race seasons on it and i haven't so much as cracked open the valve cover to adjust the valves.

quad2xtreme
03-11-2013, 09:20 AM
I had my 2006 450r 4 full years of year-round riding before I had to adjust the valves. If you leave the engine stock with the lid on and keep the filter clean, there is really no more maintenance on a 450r than a 400ex.

You will use the power from a 450r over a 400ex every time you come out of a turn and want to get to your comfort zone as quick as possible. The 450 just feels more nimble too.

I'd recommend an adjustable steering stem from Walsh that lets you control how tight the turning radius is. Or you can grind the stops on the stock stem. (And all this really depends on how tight the trails are you ride.)

You will lose 2-3 hp but you can also have the stock head redone with stainless steel intake and exhuast instead. It is more durable than stock for sure. This will cost you $350-400 (includes all parts and labor except gaskets).

I used to ride a Raptor in the trails until I discovered I could jump on a stock 400ex and immediately run faster (not just seat of the pants feeling but true timed laps on a XC loop). The Raptor was way more expensive to maintain so selling it for a 400ex was a no brainer.

CaptainCanuck
03-11-2013, 05:10 PM
I like the idea of a 450 but I'm buying used and I'm leary of buying a machine that is less reliable. If I was buying brand new, I think I'd give the 450 a whirl because at least I'd know it was maintained and it would hold up. I do not want a 400ex. I want to get on something new and so far the raptor is the leading choice.

My fiance is buying as well. She's fairly new to riding sport quads but I think she'll do just fine on a 400ex. It's between that, a 300ex, or raptor 350. She's smaller, 5'4'', 125lbs. What do you guys think?

CJM
03-11-2013, 05:34 PM
She will outgrow a 300 pretty easy unless all she does it putt along. Id do 400ex.

IDK what your hangup with a 450 is, for every bad one with an issue there are many more that are fine. Many of my friends have yfz's and honda 450s with no issues.

And honestly if you want reliable its 400ex or bust, 450 is good but its not possible to kill a 400ex all too easy.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what its worth.

quad2xtreme
03-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by CaptainCanuck

My fiance is buying as well. She's fairly new to riding sport quads but I think she'll do just fine on a 400ex. It's between that, a 300ex, or raptor 350. She's smaller, 5'4'', 125lbs. What do you guys think?

Definitely the 400ex. It is the easiest to maintain, has sufficient power for any situation, and almost stall proof. If the Raptor is still the air cooled 350 then it is just a Warrior with Raptor plastic. It feels super heavy and has terrible suspension. Only good things about a 300ex is reverse and sharp turning...same thing, terrible suspension.

My wife is the same size as your fiance and now rides a 450er. She started on a 400ex but switched to a 450r back in 2008. She thinks it feels and steers easier. If your fiance happens to get a 450r instead, the shocks are too stiff for her weight. We've had nothing but success with Santo DeRisi doing shocks for this weight for XC riding.