PDA

View Full Version : Custom Made Gears?

ERBE
03-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Who is making custom gears for the 250R? I have a Suzuki project I want to start working on.

We are now having the same problem that OEM gears are no longer becoming available, looking into the same source as the Honda 250R

Langbolt
03-11-2013, 11:18 AM
This is the HONDA 250R section....Are you looking for gears for a LT250R ? I don't think anyone made Custom ones for the LT250R.....Yukon made them for the Honda 250R

:D

fx4pitrone
03-11-2013, 11:24 AM
I think ERBE's looking for someone to contact about getting some gears custom made for the Zilla like they have for the 250r...

Rip_Tear
03-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Any good machine shop should be able to make them provided they have gears to work with that aren't totally messed.

chopp124
03-11-2013, 07:39 PM
be prepared to spend$ when i was making the kick kits for the ltr 450 was 200 a piece for one gear if i bought 12. a 1 off was 500

DezSled
03-11-2013, 07:55 PM
200 apiece sound like a deal

C-LEIGH RACING
03-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Randys Ring & Pinion, did the Yukon gears for the 250R Honda.

Good while back, I made contact with them to see if maybe we could get them to produce all the gears for the TRX trans, not just those 5 they already had, but I dont know what was going on with the woman answered the phone.
Told her what I was calling for & she told me, we already make the gears for the 250R trans, so I said again not just those but for the whole transmission she stated again we already make those.

By that time, I could see I was getting no where with her ,so I asked about talking to an engineer & she put me on hold.
When she came back she stated the engineer said we already make the gears for the 250R, so I figured I was wasting my time going any further.

What I cant figure, to be sure theres somebody there knows the 250R has more than 5 gears all together in the transmission & I'm pretty sure I was clear enough with what I was asking about.
Just dont know, but maybe some of you might can do better with them, cause I sure didnt have any luck.
Neil

Langbolt
03-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Any good machine shop should be able to make them provided they have gears to work with that aren't totally messed.

Any good GEAR shop.....I have a friend that owns "Oshawa Gear"....He's made gears for the Honda 250R (sorry Neil only 2nd to 6th like Yukon) He could make the shafts (for first gear-primary) and the gear for first-secondary....but it's costly....the BLANKS are the expensive component....once the machine is set to cut it's all automated. so the labour cost isn't as much. If the ones you need replaced are decent (not blown apart) they could be duplicated..... :D

tbone250r
03-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Exactly what material would be the best to make these gears out of? MY uncle owns a state of the art machine shop and plastic injection mold company. Guarantee I could get a set made For only cost of material

C-LEIGH RACING
03-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Tbone, seriously, so you been knowing this all along & been holding out on us, & as bad as we need new transmission gears.

Man!!!, thats like, I got sum icream & you aint got nun :D

So lang, that shaft with the gear cut on it would be the problem, but all the gears maybe not.

How many of you seen either of the shafts worn out, I've not in all my years messing with 250Rs, so if we could just get all the gears at a fair price that would be nice.
Neil

havinnoj
03-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Somebody get in touch with Nate McCoy and see who build his billet ones - I wouldn't mind having a set of those in a non-override setup.

Inspector
03-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Randys Ring & Pinion, did the Yukon gears for the 250R Honda.

Good while back, I made contact with them to see if maybe we could get them to produce all the gears for the TRX trans, not just those 5 they already had, but I dont know what was going on with the woman answered the phone.
Told her what I was calling for & she told me, we already make the gears for the 250R trans, so I said again not just those but for the whole transmission she stated again we already make those.

By that time, I could see I was getting no where with her ,so I asked about talking to an engineer & she put me on hold.
When she came back she stated the engineer said we already make the gears for the 250R, so I figured I was wasting my time going any further.

What I cant figure, to be sure theres somebody there knows the 250R has more than 5 gears all together in the transmission & I'm pretty sure I was clear enough with what I was asking about.
Just dont know, but maybe some of you might can do better with them, cause I sure didnt have any luck.
Neil

Neil,
You need to call back and talk to Randy himself. When I used to race I used Yukon gears and when I had questions Randy would talk to me. I finally met him at the Sand Show in California last Fall and he is a great guy.

......Randy J

atv fan 28
03-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by havinnoj
Somebody get in touch with Nate McCoy and see who build his billet ones - I wouldn't mind having a set of those in a non-override setup.

I got one of the billet sets McCoy sells. Here is the place that makes them i believe.

http://www.bamracingengines.com/

http://i50.tinypic.com/2v3lmaw.jpg

Langbolt
03-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Ahhhhhhh Bam Racing Engines! I looked at their website and they make gears (3rd through 5th) for the CR250R....so for the TRX250R shouldn't be any harder to produce.....They also make BILLET CRANKS too!!!

Thanks for the INFO

:devil:

C-LEIGH RACING
03-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Whooo boy dont them Bam billet cranks looks prudy, but I bets dem cost a bunch as well.
Neil

250Renvy
03-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by tbone250r
Exactly what material would be the best to make these gears out of? MY uncle owns a state of the art machine shop and plastic injection mold company. Guarantee I could get a set made For only cost of material

I'd like to know how much it would cost for them to setup a mold for the OEM plastic.

At $2500-$3500 a set like listed on ebay, it might not take long to get the money back.

It would be cool if other colors were available as well.

havinnoj
03-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
http://www.bamracingengines.com/

So who's calling these guys? :D

tbone250r
03-23-2013, 05:19 PM
So i talked to my uncle who owns the state of the art tool and die company...

He said the cost to re-engineer them would be huge. But if we could get our hands on a .igs or .iges file, to be used with SolidWorks. Then it might be possible to re-produce them at a decent price.

Anyone know if we can get our hands on such a file?

kt23
03-24-2013, 09:27 AM
to start from scratch, it will take an engineer who is good with GD & T to draw them properly. Otherwise you will have to make the tolerances so tight no one would be able to make them. I would guess the orginal OEM gears were forged then machined. Where as now they would be machined from billet. Gear hobbing is an art and takes someone who is good with setup. Be very hard to overcome the setup and design cost for a ~20 set run.

suspension101
03-24-2013, 02:34 PM
I'd like to see a tranny that has the 06 up 450r gearing. My 1-3rd is way too close then you hit 4th and you're gone.