PDA

View Full Version : 250R won't run jetting prob i think

mysticfalcon
03-15-2003, 01:11 PM
I was riding my R today and after riding for a few hours it started to get mad and all of a sudden it wouldnt run anymore. It sputters and dies and foules the plug if i try to go anywhere. It was running great all day till then but all of a sudden it wouldn't work at any throttle position. please give me any ideas i'm goin ice racing tomorow and i want my quad to move under it's own power

methyman
03-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Check your Stator andCDI module. I had my stator go bad, it would loose spark sometimes. I relpaced it and couple days later the CDI went bad. Check you compression just to make sure that there isn't anything wrong with the motor. Good Luck

Matthew

R-Crazy
03-15-2003, 01:18 PM
before u dish out money on new stuff, get a leak down test, compression test, and a electrical test done. then u can go from there.

dave

mysticfalcon
03-15-2003, 01:20 PM
compresion is good. is there any way to check for an adequate spark

methyman
03-15-2003, 11:31 PM
Take the spark plug out and ground it to the frame and kick her like hell to watch the spark it should spark every single time to kick it. You might need some one to ground the plug to the frame for you.

trxex
03-15-2003, 11:42 PM
if spark is ok then i would check the reed valves.a very common problem people overlook on 2 cycles

mysticfalcon
03-16-2003, 09:47 AM
ive spent all day on it and it still dosent run. it looks like it has a good spark. the reeds look fine. ive torn apart everything i can think of. The quad will start right up and run for 30sec or so then pop and die. when it dies the plugs are sopping wet. ive taken the carb off and cleaned every part of it. anyone have any idea?

mysticfalcon
03-16-2003, 10:29 AM
somebody? anybody?

airheadedduner
03-16-2003, 10:39 AM
Is something blocking a carb passage?? Is your air filter clean?? Feel around on your sparkplug wire, there could be a break in it.

Bean
03-16-2003, 10:44 AM
is your killswitch ground wire and igniton wires grounded correctly, on mine, they are green and black, if they are loose, or torn up, they could be losing collection, also, stator, cdi, and bad spark plug cap could be at fault

mysticfalcon
03-16-2003, 10:57 AM
is there anyway to tell if it is the stator or the cdi. It looks like its got real good spark if i kick it. I just don't want to have to buy both if i don't need to. either way i'll be down for a while cause im broke.

airheadedduner
03-16-2003, 11:19 AM
I think to check the stator output there is a white and black, or black and red wire coming out of the stator cover. I think it is white and black though. It should be like 150-200 ohms. Don't quote me on that, I don't have a book handy.

I don't think you can check the cdi, the generally work or they don't. If you know someone else with an R "borrow" theres and see if it works.

mysticfalcon
03-16-2003, 03:13 PM
well i cant find my multimeter so that will have to wait till tomorow but i checked the plug again and it's not sparking as well anymore so it is something electical. does anyone know a good place to get a stator cheep. I'm dirt poor right now and i need to get teh quad operational as cheep as possible.

nuttynewt
03-17-2003, 03:57 AM
Ricky Stator. He'll hook you up with a good one a t a good price. You should test your stator first to see if it is bad, though. Also, if there is any rust or corrosion around the pickups, take some emery cloth and clean them up. It might help. Also, even though you have spark when your plug is in open air, it doesn't mean that it is sparking while under compression while in the cylinder.

chavez
03-17-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by mysticfalcon
all of a sudden it wouldn't work at any throttle position. please give me any ideas
it will start up though right.

when you checked your carb was the trottle cable good. the clip that holds the slide good

last year on my r the little peice that holds the cable to the slide broke dropping the slide into the carb it would run untill i hit the trottle then it would die.

mysticfalcon
03-17-2003, 04:15 AM
yup the carb cable is fine. the problem is definately spark related

lex luger
03-17-2003, 05:43 AM
...coil i bet, i think you can get them tested, if not buy anouther one, like msd or something