PDA

View Full Version : GTT 400ex XC link

ben300
03-08-2013, 06:18 PM
For those of you that have purchased this, how much softer does it make the stock rear shock? is it to the point were it bottoms out every time you sit on it?

BIGTEX400EX
03-08-2013, 07:00 PM
have it with a redone rear shock. Never ran with a stock shock. From what I've read here it will bottom easy if your over 130lbs.

The link and the front shocks are the 2 best things I've done to my 400. Changes everything about handling in a good way.

CJM
03-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Im 200lbs, stock shock forget about it totally bottomed out.

Rebuilt shock took some work to make right (my fronts being stock 450r shocks are to stiff says my shock builder and hes right). I have a 250lb main spring on it, it sags a bit when I sit down but its MUCH better. Originally we went with a 225lb spring if I recall.

As for softness, WAY better. It rides smoothly and honestly I can thrash the whoops pretty good. It also lowered it pretty good that I can spin the rear much better and so donuts without fear of it wheeling up on me.

ben300
03-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Im 200lbs, stock shock forget about it totally bottomed out.

Rebuilt shock took some work to make right (my fronts being stock 450r shocks are to stiff says my shock builder and hes right). I have a 250lb main spring on it, it sags a bit when I sit down but its MUCH better. Originally we went with a 225lb spring if I recall.

As for softness, WAY better. It rides smoothly and honestly I can thrash the whoops pretty good. It also lowered it pretty good that I can spin the rear much better and so donuts without fear of it wheeling up on me.

i know who you had do yours. we've discussed this in the past.

when you installed your link, how much did you have to modify your subframe marc? was it a ton? i understand the principles of what you have to do and what you have to do to the exhaust and the air box, no biggie, but all the brake and bearing carrier issues that stickman400 had has me super scared! i want to do it, im jsut nervous about it it, ya know.

CJM
03-08-2013, 08:02 PM
ben, I seriously didnt have that much of an issue (I also forgot we discussed this before btw).

So far I havent had to move the airbox at all and the subframe I just tweaked like a good inch or so with a bottle jack (works great btw), my caliper doesnt hit b/c I spaced my exhaust out a good 1.5 inches to clear it as well. I also dont think I really ever jump enough to bottom stuff out. Small step ups and a few small doubles/tables is it. Maybe liftyou 10ft in the air maybe 15ft at most and maybe throw you 20ft at best. Int he woods tho its really nice cause it keeps the rear planted well.

ben300
03-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by CJM
ben, I seriously didnt have that much of an issue (I also forgot we discussed this before btw).

So far I havent had to move the airbox at all and the subframe I just tweaked like a good inch or so with a bottle jack (works great btw), my caliper doesnt hit b/c I spaced my exhaust out a good 1.5 inches to clear it as well. I also dont think I really ever jump enough to bottom stuff out. Small step ups and a few small doubles/tables is it. Maybe liftyou 10ft in the air maybe 15ft at most and maybe throw you 20ft at best. Int he woods tho its really nice cause it keeps the rear planted well.

Gotcha, I didnt think it was that much trouble.

I'm still not totally sure if I want to do the link or just a revalve respring to the rear.

We're similar in weight. You may be a scoshe heavier. What rear spring did you put on it. I know gt sells their springs in 50# (rider weight vs spring rate) increments

CJM
03-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Ben, I think its a 400lb spring b/c the 375lb spring they recommend was just not enough. I bottomed out way to easy. as it is, Dustin explained that with the fronts not being done its kinda tough to really get it the way I like it (a bit stiffer overall) b/c thats what Im used to.

ben300
03-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Ben, I think its a 400lb spring b/c the 375lb spring they recommend was just not enough. I bottomed out way to easy. as it is, Dustin explained that with the fronts not being done its kinda tough to really get it the way I like it (a bit stiffer overall) b/c thats what Im used to.

ahh gotcha, thanks...ya, im gonna have my front shocks redone. im sending them off to Jet monday to have the dual rate stealth conversion done and then my buddies old man's gonna do my rear. he's been doing their mx bikes for years so im gonna have him revalve and respring it, so im just trying to get a basis of what i need to use.

CJM
03-08-2013, 09:39 PM
YOu may wish to even step up a bit more. Im not sure if its my stiff fronts, but I need the preload cranked all the way down to make it a bit stiffer for my liking.

duneslider
03-08-2013, 10:56 PM
I really want to have my front shocks reworked and get the gtt link in the back. Maybe next winter when I won't be riding for a few months I can send all my shocks in for a rework. I thought going to the 450r shocks made a noticeable difference. Sounds like having them set up for me and going the the gtt link will be a big improvement.

CJM
03-10-2013, 06:58 PM
450r fronts are better, but they are a longer shock and make the front quite a bit stiffer. They can rework them by changing the shaft length and putting good springs on it.

ben300
03-10-2013, 07:26 PM
so marc, I got another question. if i get the rear link, and the #400 sping, will that help the shock from being to soft and bottoming out to much, or is the revalve a must?

CJM
03-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Honestly Ben IDK. I do know that I had it all done at once so I cant really say for sure.

by now the shock probably needs to be serviced anyways.

Contact Dustin, he does great work for very fair prices and was VERY helpful (believe me I drove poor Dustin crazy with questions lol).