PDA

View Full Version : Vin number checks?

Flyin_250r
03-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Anybody know of any sites to check vin numbers to make sure things arent stolen?

CJM
03-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Im not sure about canada, but in the Us just call your local police and ask them to run it over the phone. They usually will do it happily if you explain why.

AtvKid4Eva
03-07-2013, 12:30 PM
i tried once with the state highway patrol, they wouldnt do it. Maybe local police?

OldGuyonaQuad
03-07-2013, 02:47 PM
CALL YOUR LOCAL DMV

Flyin_250r
03-07-2013, 08:40 PM
I tried the local police, they said call the DMV... I called the DMV, they said the local police.

Such a joke. I took the engine to the border and got all my paper work straightened out and they didnt run the numbers or even ask any questions. So either way I should be good to go now. Even to get a vin for my laeger frame, the response I got "just any stamped number will work fine, just make one up" So I did, and all is good to go.

Surprised me to be honest with you.

MX MaNiAc 06
03-08-2013, 07:04 AM
I have 3 quads and none of them even have a VIN number

Langbolt
03-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Here's a link to tell you if a HONDA VIN is valid.....not if it's Stolen...

http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vin/honda.asp

yeah it's a JOKE if you're honest.....I had a heck of a time getting a VIN for my HYBRID....but like you said...if ya make one up they just register it with that #.....I ended up having them assign me with a HOM (homemade designation) Vin....then my Insurance company gave me a hard time to insure it!!! Finally after I showed my broker that I didn't make it out of wood and duct-tape.....he gave me a policy.

The MTO should have run the VIN for you to tell you if it's stolen or not....The POLICE have the exact info on their computers in their squad cars.....so either will work.

:devil: