PDA

View Full Version : Oil

2003TrX400eX
03-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Good oil to run for break in?

Thanks.

DragonGunner
03-02-2013, 09:54 AM
The same oil your going to run it on. lots of good oils out there now...I pay a little more but have been running Spectra for over 12 yrs....That all the 99' 400EX gets since I got it in 99'........

2003TrX400eX
03-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Non synthetic tho right?

DragonGunner
03-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by 2003TrX400eX
Non synthetic tho right?

Right.

JOHNDOE83
03-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by 2003TrX400eX
Non synthetic tho right?

Thats debateable, Ive run syntheic for a LONG TIME and never once had a issue.

Oil is oil, NO where on the bottle does it specify what motor or clutch its for, the only thing thats specified is 4 stroke motor oil.

All synthetic means, is its made of other things that act THE SAME way that regular oil does and has the EXACT same effect or even be longe lasting.

But hey, use whatever you wanna use for whatever reason, it will be just as good as mine, his, hers, or that guys.

81dasher81
03-02-2013, 04:43 PM
for break in you do not want to use synthetic oil. whatever you use, make sure it is wet clutch compatable

DragonGunner
03-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 81dasher81
for break in you do not want to use synthetic oil. whatever you use, make sure it is wet clutch compatable

100% correct!!! Even if your going to run Full synthetic you still break in with motor oil. My KTM motor in my quad got broke in on the Spectra motor oil for about 30 min. then it was Full Synthetic after that. Some guys on the forums have ran full synthetic in the 400EX, some have liked it and some had problems with the clutch when they did. I think the vast majority of EX riders use the non synthetic motor oil.....

NacsMXer
03-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
100% correct!!! Even if your going to run Full synthetic you still break in with motor oil. My KTM motor in my quad got broke in on the Spectra motor oil for about 30 min. then it was Full Synthetic after that. Some guys on the forums have ran full synthetic in the 400EX, some have liked it and some had problems with the clutch when they did. I think the vast majority of EX riders use the non synthetic motor oil.....

They had clutch problems because they used the wrong type of synthetic oil. Use a JASO MA rated (safe for wet clutch use) synthetic oil or one you know for sure does not contain moly, friction modifiers, or is rated "energy conserving". I've used nothing but full synthetic oil in my 400 since break in and have never had an issue. A hot running motor like the 400EX has needs all the help it can get...that's why I only run full synthetic.

But I agree that you should always break in a new motor using conventional oil. A good safe choice for break in would be Honda GN4 10w40.

JACK STRAW
03-06-2013, 04:59 PM
i have always ran gn4 and all has been well

CJM
03-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Rotella 15-40 (white bottle) I ruin it in dang near everything but my pick up and never had an issue (pick up likes 5w-30).

JOHNDOE83
03-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
Thats debateable, Ive run syntheic for a LONG TIME and never once had a issue.

Oil is oil, NO where on the bottle does it specify what motor or clutch its for, the only thing thats specified is 4 stroke motor oil.

All synthetic means, is its made of other things that act THE SAME way that regular oil does and has the EXACT same effect or even be longe lasting.

But hey, use whatever you wanna use for whatever reason, it will be just as good as mine, his, hers, or that guys.

I take part of this statement back.

Some do specify safe for wet clutch, but I still have had 0 issues going on 7 years now.