PDA

View Full Version : Buy a quad without a title?

Blodg
03-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Saw a mint quad that I had considered buying until I asked if he had a title and the guy said "no title, just a bill of sale". Even though the thing looked brand new and was a good price this fact kept me from going any further.

Would you guys buy one with a bill of sale? Am I making this a bigger deal than it is? I can't imagine why a 2009 wouldn't have a title and it makes me uncomfortable and I am also thinking it may hurt my selling power if/when I wanted to sell it. Thoughts?

CJM
03-01-2013, 06:52 PM
I call the cops and ask them to run the vin for me. IDK why people cant seem to keep the titles, baffles me. I did buy both my quads with no title and went thru the trouble of registering them to me however.

JOHNDOE83
03-01-2013, 07:00 PM
people are idiots and when they buy atvs and dirtbikes they generally say, I dont need this and throw out the title.

some people just kinda leave them somewhere and other people sell them, sometimes people die and then the family gives away the atv/dirtbike. sometimes a girlfriend buys a quad for her boyfriend then they break up. Titles do get lost and thrown out.

The good part is, most people loose the title, then even if it gets stolen they cant report it. Run the vin #s and if its clear then get it, you could always use the title as a crutch for a lower price. Theres aps for phones that check vin #s.

Ive bought several things without titles, I dont plan on going anywhere that I need them and dont really plan on selling them or I was using the motor for another build that had a title.

I once bought a quad that had "some" paper work but no title, I forged 3 signatures and created papers, needless to say I created a title for it.

Just keep in mind, I bought a MINT 98 cr250 for $600, a mint cr80r for $500 and $300 for a 94 xr80 that is in better condition then both CRs, All without titles. I was able to get a title with a bill of sale for the xr80. They all have clear vinz.

Im not even gonna try to title the cr's.

I like honda :)

Anyway if the price is right go for it, ask what his bottom dollar is then offer $350 less without budging because lack of title/paperwork.

Anything built after 2001 HAS A TITLE!!!

quad2xtreme
03-01-2013, 07:55 PM
I don't have titles for any of my quads that i bought brand new. I have the Origin paper and the original dealer receipts but no actual titles from the state of North Carolina.

Blodg
03-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I probably should have added that to ride on the state forest trails in Ohio (which is some good riding) you have to have to have your quad registered by taking the title to the BMV. If it weren't for that fact I probably wouldn't worry about it. Another trip I want to make to Silver Lake sand dunes in MI also requires your quad to be registered in the state you are from if your state requires it. Maybe I should check into the possibility of getting the quad registered using a bill of sale versus the actual title.

Rich250RRacer
03-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Blodg
Thanks for the info guys. I probably should have added that to ride on the state forest trails in Ohio (which is some good riding) you have to have to have your quad registered by taking the title to the BMV. If it weren't for that fact I probably wouldn't worry about it. Another trip I want to make to Silver Lake sand dunes in MI also requires your quad to be registered in the state you are from if your state requires it. Maybe I should check into the possibility of getting the quad registered using a bill of sale versus the actual title.

I go to Silver Lake every year, if they do require any registration from your home state, they sure don't ask for it. While none of them are registered, all of my quads and bikes are legit with a title or MSO so I wouldn't have to worry about if they did ask, but the fact is they don't, and never have. All you need is a DNR sticker (which you can walk into any place in Michigan that sell them, throw down $16 and get one without a single question about what it's going on), and a state park pass.

OldGuyonaQuad
03-02-2013, 08:10 AM
The manufacturer won't re issue a title after one year. There are title recovery companies out there but they want $800-$100 for their service.

Most original owners don't register their machines because they don't want to pay the sales tax or their states are lax about riding (Not NJ) .

NJDMV is registration roulette. If you go there three different times and talk to three different people you will be told three different things.

I have found a work around that has been affective for me and my friends. Get the ATV registration form for PA. Fill it out and get the fax number. Call them and explain that you are a NJ resident but you only ride in PA. Fax in the form along with a notarized bill of sale. Once the machine has been registered anywhere getting it registered in your state will be no problem.

It's pretty stupid really, you get penalized because the original owner was lazy or cheap and they forbid you from doing things the right way. Typical bureaucratic red tape BS.

Oh and as stated above, I have been to several places that require registration and or insurance and I have never been asked to produce any documents.

Get it fully insured and ride in legal places carefully and you will be fine.

GL

Ruby Soho
03-02-2013, 08:59 AM
honestly if you never plan on registering it, you don't need one.

TCracin440ex
03-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
I don't have titles for any of my quads that i bought brand new. I have the Origin paper and the original dealer receipts but no actual titles from the state of North Carolina.

im in virginia, and virginia titles atvs now, but i bought my 2013 foreman from and individual in NC & i was leary of no title either & he assured me that NC doesnt title atvs.

so i dont have the title to my 2013 foreman, but i have a bill of sale and im comfortable with that. some states do not require the titling of atvs

AtvKid4Eva
03-02-2013, 04:44 PM
just get a notarized bill of sale from the seller. Make sure its notarized. That way if you ever have it in your truck or on a trailer and get pulled over, at least you can prove to the cop you bought it.

Baracudaaa
03-02-2013, 07:55 PM
If the quad was originally financed and not completely paid off, then the bank would still own title. You could possibly buy the quad, even with a bill of sale, and be on the hook for what ever is not paid off to the bank since they would still be the legal owner. Might want to research it better first.

blacknblue#2
03-03-2013, 06:34 AM
I can understand being nervous about a newer quad without a title in Ohio but as far as riding Ohio state forest...well there are ways around everything. My current quad was built around a frame with no title. We ride Wayne national forest several times a year. My hybrid is registered as a 98 cr250 that I parted out years ago.

Blodg
03-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Good point blacknblue, there are ways around it and if I had to I could use the title from my LT80 or Prairie to get a registration and the permit for the state forests regardless of which quad I actually took there. As long as they see the state registration and forest permit no one would question anything.

The reason I asked about this is I again was very close to buying a 450R as I keep getting tempted to try one with my racing background. But all I do is trail ride and a modified 400EX fits my riding style better but man this thing looked sweet and he said he would come down so for about $3500 I could have had what looks like near a brand new 2009 R: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/3637974634.html But after thinking it through further I decided to hold off and put money into the 400EX which most people think is a waste versus buying an already faster 450R but for me it is the right thing to do.

DragonGunner
03-03-2013, 08:28 AM
In the old days they never had a real title....buy and sell them, only thing like a title was some type of certificate.....anyway i haven't bought anything new the last few yrs.....didn't they change it where new quads all have a title...? And it can be transferred to another owner....? haven't kept up but thought they were doing this to cut down on theft, had to have title to sell just ike a car.....on the newer ones...?

That first picture on craigs is showing me way more than 20 hrs.....seriously....only 20 hrs. since 2009....really......I don't think so.

Blodg
03-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Yes I don't believe 20 hours is accurate either but from the two side pics of the motor you can tell it is definitely low hours.

For the last 10 or so years new quads come with a title. Most of the time it really isn't needed except for when you have riding areas that require a permit and to get the permit you have to have it registered which requires a title or equivalent.

deathman53
03-03-2013, 04:01 PM
in most cases they dont have a title, never did. What they do come with a a certificate of origin, statement of origin or manufactures statement of origin. Its only a valid a piece of paper to the owner to the person who is written on it from the dealer w/ dealer stamp. Its only worth the paper its written on, if every owner back to the person who is originally written is backed w/ a NOTARIZED bill of sale. In NJ, if your name isn't originally on that......you don't legally own it!!!!! A NOTARIZED bill of sale is the legal way of transfer.

CJM
03-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Way more than 20 hours. The swingarm looks beat up, the bolts are all rusted, rotor is rusted, etc. Rest of it looks good however. Maybe the motor was cleaned very good IDK.

blacknblue#2
03-04-2013, 08:55 AM
she has definitely derailed a chain a time or 2 haha and that oil looks like it has 20 hours on it

edwardsp&b
03-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Alot of states dont title quads, dirtbikes, golfcarts.....I bought a 13000.00 4 seat RZR a year ago and didnt get a title. The man I bought it from provided the bill of sale when he purchased new, but no title. Its the states that drive for registration to collect more money in fees. Im sure it would make it easier for stolen vehicles when they are titled. Heck, you can buy any automobile in the state of georgia with not title as long as its made after 1993 no I think.

Im sure I dont need to tell yall this, but Iyou can usually tell when somebody is selling something hot. Those people are pretty easy to pick out. Cheap prices, shady acting, doesnt want to meet in person, etc......