PDA

View Full Version : Good helmet?

OldGuyonaQuad
02-28-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm debating about buying a nice helmet. I don't race and I don't usually ride to crazy (unless I'm trying to keep up with Marc & Lonnie ;) ).

I bought a cheapo on ebay a couple of years ago and so far I've been fortunate enough for it's lack of quality not to be an issue. I know I should invest in upgrading protection especially for the noggin but at what cost?

How much do I need to spend to get a good quality helmet. Is a $50 helmet 2x as good as a $100 one and so on?

Anyway looking for some suggestions.

On a side note <3 motosport. I ordered my new Razr Maxxis Tuesday @ 8pm est and they arrived Thursday @ 6:30pm est.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
02-28-2013, 06:07 PM
What's your head worth? Not only do you get increased protection with the higher quality helmet, you also get superior comfort. I swear by Shoei. My VFX-W and RF1100 are super comfortable and I'm never distracted by discomfort. Thankfully I haven't had to test the crash protection of either. I would like an Arai but their shell doesn't fit the shape of my head.

ryan243
02-28-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm a pretty big fan of the fly trophy series. Good quality at a pretty low price. You do get what you pay for when it comes to safety gear. Cheap usually equals bad

CJM
02-28-2013, 06:20 PM
After I smashed my head up good on our treverton trip, and then managed to get the quad to roll on top of me I bought a thor quadrant helmet.

Its really nice and was like $125 from rocky mtn.

And keeping up with me isnt that bad is it? I know Lonnies way faster :0

madskrillz2
02-28-2013, 08:01 PM
I have a Bell Moto 8 right now but I'm about to buy a Moto 9. Best fitting helmet I have ever put on my head.

JAG Motosports
02-28-2013, 08:15 PM
any snell approved helmet

OldGuyonaQuad
02-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys I will go try some of those on (if available) at the local dealers then probably buy online ;)

Nah Marc you usually take it easy on me, idk if I told you or not but that time we went to Hazleton with Lonnie I was trying to keep up and wound up head first into a tree on a hard right turn on a slope. It wasn't bad I didn't even jam my neck I just kinda came out of my seat touched the tree and sat back down. I was ok nothing hurt but I great reminder of why we should wear helmets & good ones at that.

CJM
02-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Ouch, still doesnt sound like too much fun.

That day we went to Treverton was fun too lol. Imagine after that fall we rode back, fixed it and I kept on going. For sure I had a concussion cause I saw stars and was super irritable for a week after.

Still trying to finagle going to HC/McCoy too :)

OldGuyonaQuad
03-01-2013, 05:31 AM
Yeah well I'm glad you no longer have lingering affects from that fall. If I had known my way around better back then you wouldn't have wound up on that hill at all.

Yeah find out about finals and get your reservation in, we have 5-6 going and 2-3 coming down possibly on Friday or Saturday.

LITE
03-01-2013, 11:23 AM
There is a saying that BELL had IF YOU HAVE A $ 10.00 BUY A $ 10.00 HELMET!

Exrider434
03-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
What's your head worth? Not only do you get increased protection with the higher quality helmet, you also get superior comfort. I swear by Shoei. My VFX-W and RF1100 are super comfortable and I'm never distracted by discomfort. Thankfully I haven't had to test the crash protection of either. I would like an Arai but their shell doesn't fit the shape of my head.

^this guy. Shoei or Arai.

OldGuyonaQuad
03-03-2013, 01:18 PM
yes I looked at Shoei and the Bell moto 9 and they are pricey. Funny I won't spend $400 on a helmet but I do on tires.

http://www.motosport.com/atv/SHOEI-VFXW-HELMET-CROSSHAIR

Like I said I don't race so I'm not taking any doubles. I might try the Thor CJM suggested.

http://www.motosport.com/atv/2013-Thor-Quadrant-Helmet-Frequency

zyoung04
03-03-2013, 02:23 PM
I got older fly helmet and I like it. I have a friend who has one the newer fly trophy helmets I like the way it fits. And they aren't really over priced compared to some other out there.

CJM
03-03-2013, 07:39 PM
All I gotta say is I been super happy with the thor :)

Exrider434
03-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
yes I looked at Shoei and the Bell moto 9 and they are pricey. Funny I won't spend $400 on a helmet but I do on tires.

http://www.motosport.com/atv/SHOEI-VFXW-HELMET-CROSSHAIR

Like I said I don't race so I'm not taking any doubles. I might try the Thor CJM suggested.

http://www.motosport.com/atv/2013-Thor-Quadrant-Helmet-Frequency

That's a good deal for that shoei. I was always against spending loads of money on helmets until I had a bad crash and cracked my 661 helmet and wound up concussed and blacked out. Idk to me it's worth the 400-500$ for the peace of mind that if I do bounce my head off something I'm less likely to be hurt as badly as if I was wearing a cheapo helmet.

If ya don't cheap out on buying parts for your quad, don't cheap out on parts to protect your body. You can replace the quad but chances are you won't have a chance to replace your brain. Lol

bbender85
03-04-2013, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by JAG Motosports
any snell approved helmet

exactly. it's the same thing with motor oil; people want to pay twice as much for a name brand (not talking about synthetic, thats different), but the reality is they ALL have to pass stringent tests to be able to be certified, much like helmets.

i think alot of the price in "high-end" helmets has nothing to do with the cost of it.. you're paying for a name or styling. that's fine if that's your thing, but if i can get a good looking snell approved lid for $100 or $500.. it's a no-brainer for me (no pun intended).

madskrillz2
03-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
That's a good deal for that shoei. I was always against spending loads of money on helmets until I had a bad crash and cracked my 661 helmet and wound up concussed and blacked out. Idk to me it's worth the 400-500$ for the peace of mind that if I do bounce my head off something I'm less likely to be hurt as badly as if I was wearing a cheapo helmet.

If ya don't cheap out on buying parts for your quad, don't cheap out on parts to protect your body. You can replace the quad but chances are you won't have a chance to replace your brain. Lol

What this guy said. I don't care what you say, there is a difference in the higher end helmets and cheaper ones. Like he said, bounce off the ground with a cheap one and you find out real quick why it was only 100 bucks. My head is something I'm willing to pay a lot of money for.

honda250xrider
03-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Try on a bunch of helmets at the local dealer and see which one fits your head the best. I am using moto 8's right now. I like the fit and have ordered all different size padding so i can try different options. You can find left over models for extremely good deals on motorcyclecloseouts.com and ebay

Thumpin440ex
03-05-2013, 02:04 AM
I have had a few high end helmets in the past, my last 2 have been Bell's and have been excellent fitting, served their purposes well.

John