PDA

View Full Version : Help with wheel #'s

KKiowaTJ
02-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Is there a link for dummys? I cant find or im not "getting" it when i look for wheels. But the numbers they use is not what i used to go off of or i used my own backward system. Either way, Get your crayons out and help please

Ill just list what i "think" i know and go from there. Stock wheels, 4/1= 4" inside and 1" outside width? 2/3= 2" in 3" out?

Rear im seeing 9x8 or 9x9. The 9x9 comes 5/4=5" inside 4" outside? This has me clustered.

What i want, Dont know if its possible, I want to run a 2/3 front and a 1/4 rear. I used to have all kindas of wheels and when i sold out, I sold it all.

I cant find on RM ATV etc a rear wheel that will stick out more, I would rather have 3/6 rear. Do they make them?
I want a wider stance all around but a fatter *****. I know it will kill WB's on the front thats why no 1/4, But i want the rear wide.

I dont want to run spacers just a wider wheel combo that will look better and keep the COG down. Any pic's of your 400's with X combo would be great. The tires that will be going on them will be XREX 21-7-10/20-11-9. Thanks for any help and or pic's.

JOHNDOE83
02-27-2013, 12:42 PM
I ran wider front rims, the offset had to be that way because I used 10in front wheels.

if you order 10in front wheels most likely they will be setup to run wider, if not its a simple drill and relocate the valve stem, to plug the old valve stem hole, simply plug in backwards another valve stem.

for the rears, if you buy after market rims regardless of offset, you can flip them sround to be narrower or wider.

to order custom offsets, youll have to call the manufacturer I guess.

I know people get custom offsets and widths all the time I just dont know where?

I used this for MX and all sorts of stuff, never had a issue.

Ntensweapon
02-27-2013, 02:42 PM
ITP makes(made??) a 9 inch wheel with a 3/6 offset.
I have a set with holeshot HD's I would consider selling if interested. Also have mounted fronts to match.

KKiowaTJ
02-27-2013, 06:37 PM
JD83
Cool, Wasnt too sure about the wheel flip, Was told about it but like i said, Im in left field. If i had to go this route, Would tig welding it work? I know it might throw off the balance, But i can fix that with stick on lead weights.

Ntensweapon
If i didnt just buy a new set of tires i would be interested, Kinda could still be if the ol' lady dont find out. Do you have a couple pic's by chance of the way it sits etc so i can get an idea?

Thanks for the advice so far

JOHNDOE83
02-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by KKiowaTJ
JD83
Cool, Wasnt too sure about the wheel flip, Was told about it but like i said, Im in left field. If i had to go this route, Would tig welding it work? I know it might throw off the balance, But i can fix that with stick on lead weights.

Mmmmm, I wouldnt weld it unless I was truely a excellent welder.

Im not a welder so I dont know if it would work out right.

Both options are there, so atleast you know its a solveable problem.

If the weld dont work you could always re-drill and valve stem it backwards.

KKiowaTJ
02-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
Mmmmm, I wouldnt weld it unless I was truely a excellent welder.

Im not a welder so I dont know if it would work out right.

Both options are there, so atleast you know its a solveable problem.

If the weld dont work you could always re-drill and valve stem it backwards.

Ill just run a stem and call it a day. Looks play no part, Just didnt know if a complete seal would be better. Then i thought about how long tires last and for me its every year. So if i have to go that route it wont be a problem. Thanks for the advice

Ntensweapon
02-27-2013, 09:34 PM
I'll dig through my folders and see if I have a pic of them on the quad. Where are you located? I'm in Cedar Rapids. If you're close you can stop by and take a look.

KKiowaTJ
02-27-2013, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Ntensweapon
I'll dig through my folders and see if I have a pic of them on the quad. Where are you located? I'm in Cedar Rapids. If you're close you can stop by and take a look.

Southeast iowa. But i live 10 miles from 218/27 and 90minutes give or take so not too bad considering high shipping.

I have been looking and thats about as wide of wheel and stance i have found. But it only gives 1" per side and i was hopping for 2" a side.

The front i found a 2-4 10x6". Thats 6" front and 2 rear lol. Plus i want atleast a black lable or the itp .190 to hold up from stumps, Trails in general and wheelies lol on pavement. I do a good amount of road riding.
Im kinda on the fench about when it comes to spacers. I have seen them do their purpose and have seen abuse and fail worse than if left alone. So im kicking around 1" now.

Ill kick around the idea if 1" is really worth the trouble. But pic's might change my mind lol. But im going an inch up in the front and an inch wider in the rear tire wise, So ill be keeping my current reaction, Steering and COG which i do like.