PDA

View Full Version : Reeds carbon fiber vs plastic

Grande Huevos
02-27-2013, 08:43 AM
I want to discuss the pros and cons between v force 2 carbon reeds and and other choices like boydseen and the Duncan pyramid reeds. I've heard some good things about all of them. I've heard that the v force are more apt to breaking, has any body had any issues with them breaking and causing damage to your motor? I don't drag race what so ever and am just looking for the most reliable setup for all around xc riding

troybilt
02-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Grande Huevos
I want to discuss the pros and cons between v force 2 carbon reeds and and other choices like boydseen and the Duncan pyramid reeds. I've heard some good things about all of them. I've heard that the v force are more apt to breaking, has any body had any issues with them breaking and causing damage to your motor? I don't drag race what so ever and am just looking for the most reliable setup for all around xc riding

In my opinion, the best setup for reliable all around MX/XC riding is the Boyesen RAD valve with the RL-19 reeds, not the pro reeds. Carbon fiber reeds are a little more prone to breaking. The Rad valve has a edge with low end response.

troybilt
02-27-2013, 12:03 PM
I've had several vforce reeds break on the edge. Didn't damage motor, just wouldn't start very easy....

Grande Huevos
02-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
I've had several vforce reeds break on the edge. Didn't damage motor, just wouldn't start very easy.... yeah the reason I asked about breaking is I had a set in my motor that broke. I didn't catch it in time was being dumb and thought it was electrical issues since the reeds were new. Ended up sucking a chunk in the lower end and got lodged in between the crank rod and spacer and that spacer broke into about 4 pieces which in turn chewed up my piston and dome. I am rebuilding now and the reeds are last thing I need. I have brand new v force 2 pedals but am hesitant to use them. I have heard a couple other guys say they have used v force and they did not last very long.approx (10 hrs) so I thought I'd try and do some research on the matter. I had boyeseen on my last bike and never had a single issue after 2 years of riding with them.