PDA

View Full Version : Chain Question

Skeldaw
02-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Hello, My 400ex will need a new chain soon because the sprocket are worn ( They are still not slipping ). But I can't change it right now because it's winter. My question is , Even if my sprocket are worn and my chain is getting old is it safe to ride my 400ex? And if the chain break is there alot of chance that it will break my engine case ( I still have my chain guard )
Thanks!

JACK STRAW
02-25-2013, 05:37 PM
if you try to push it much further the drive sprocket(small one) will be rounded down to nubs and you will be stuck. save up it's not worth the aggrevation

JOHNDOE83
02-25-2013, 05:40 PM
Ive broke chains before, it wasnt anything spectacular.

They always broke and just fell off.

I can see how it could and would get caught up and break the case, maybe Ive been lucky.

If you chance it just ride slow and cruise and youll be fine until you can order new.

CJM
02-25-2013, 05:52 PM
100 bucks or less man, do it and thank yourself later b/c if it does fail and busts the case your out a whole lot more!

Skeldaw
02-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Well it's not THAT worst because the sprocket are still not slipping and the chain is not older than them, And the money isnt the problem I could buy the sprocketand chain , Just it's canadian winter so it's cold and there is no place to fix my EX because of the snow. Im just scared that my chain break and make an hole into my engine just like my buddy YFZ 450

CJM
02-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Thats the price you pay should it bust.

Honestly find someone with a garage and go to town. Should only take about an hour to do if you have never done it before.