PDA

View Full Version : '06 450r starter cranking with no key

XC_Racer_129
02-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Like the title states, we're having trouble with my buddies quad. He wanted to change the jet, so we did that and put everything back together. We cranked it a few times, it fired up for a couple seconds, and then then the starter started to spin. We immediately pulled the key and hit the kill switch on the bars, which killed the motor, but the starter kept spinning. We hurried up and pulled the cable off the battery. Everytime we touch the cable to the battery, the starter cranks over.

Now I obviously know it had nothing to do with the jet, its definitely an electrical issue. Is there something in particular that we could have disturbed while we were working on the carb? We looked over the wire harness and didn't find any rubs, so I'm not sure what to look at next. It's strange, I've never seen it happen. We'll keep looking at wires.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

XC_Racer_129
02-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Well, we finally found the short. The positive wire off the battery had worn through the wire loom and grounded out on the battery box. Moving the wires when getting to the carb must have just made it make contact.