PDA

View Full Version : throttle sticking

PHIL_B54
03-15-2003, 05:48 AM
ok guys, here's what its doing, check my sig for my setup
it sticks between (im guessing:confused: )1200-2500rpm it will do it almost everytime i ease out of the throttle, if your giving her hell it usually wont do it, also when it sticks you just have to goose it so it seems that when the slide returns hard, it wont stick, it wont do it if its not running, and its making it extremely hard to set the idle, its like it never comes closed to the same place
im still trying to tune the thing and its making me angry:mad:

ive cleaned it 3 times now, and ive sprayed wd40 down the cable til it came out next to the carb, originally i thought the problem was the accel. pump having to much play and wedging, but the new guide from edelbrock still didnt fix it. the needle is new and should not be bent

its like 70 outside and its killing me:( , i can still ride but i'd rather have it running right, plus its not easy/safe to ride on a trail when i cant slow down like id like to

thanks for any help

4TraxRider
03-15-2003, 08:53 AM
Try getting a new cable,or look for any realy hard angles the cable has to go throught to the carb. Spray a little WD on the slid itself when its not running and see if it snaps back. Or take the carb and cable off and move the slide with your finger. If it slides easy, then ts the cable.

PHIL_B54
03-15-2003, 09:44 AM
why will it only do it when its running? ive been out playing with it and it really makes me mad, cleaned it again, runing ok but still my idle wont sit still, maybe i have seperate problems, but sitting ast normal idle it will stay for 15-20 sec but slowly work its way higher, it will never go to high but it will go up and stay there till you goose it, then it will drop and do it all over again, i think i just need someone close who knows what they're doing to help me

i think your right though, a cable is the right place to start looking, the little brass colored knob at the end seems to have lots of wear on it now that you mention it , it doest seem to sit in there right, i will call edelbrock monday and get a new on ordered, and ask edelbrock chris if he has any ideas

thanks for the suggestion

anyone else?

RED121572
03-15-2003, 10:53 AM
Ya know something? Mine did that too. I opened up the thumb throttle thingy on the handle bars and it looked pretty bad, With a few sprays of WD-40 and some grease, she slides real easy now.

I agree with the above. Get a new throttle cable. Take your carb off and clean it.

Good luck!!

RED

WildCatRacer
03-15-2003, 07:01 PM
yeah I say.. also try taking apart the thumb throttle and cleaning it up and putting some fresh grease on the shaft. If you pull it apart again make sure that the flat slide and the groove it slides in are free of nics. If it only does it when its running maybe its from the presure of the air flowing threw the carb and pushing the slide back. if its not idleing could it be the float valve?

maxoutput
03-16-2003, 05:35 AM
mine did the same thing last year toward the end of the season.
they sent me another return spring.. same thing ....sticking.
unhooked throttle cable, and the acc. pump....only sticks when the quad is runnin......I called them again, the said to return the carb to them....so i did....didnt get it back yet.....It better be right

honda250xrider
03-16-2003, 05:40 AM
im pretty sure the problem is with your thumb throttle just take the bolts off and you can untighten the bolt, because you can over tighten the bolt which might of happened in your case, or you just need to have a good spray of wd-40 and grease it up a bit.

PHIL_B54
03-17-2003, 02:49 AM
ive already did the wd40 thing, im going to call him today and get the new cable and any other ideas, i hope i dont have to send the whole thing in, it seems to take forever to get stuff shipped from there, im going to have to pay for 3 day shipping, little sahara is just i month away and i really want it running right

maxoutput, please keep me updated , cause that sounds like the same thing

PHIL_B54
03-20-2003, 01:33 PM
ok im out of town for business, but i called them up and they said send it in, and they will put bearings in it and i will get a new cable
as soon as i get back , i will send it to them, i hope it fixes it.

PHIL_B54
03-22-2003, 11:31 AM
im finally back, i took it off today and it already has the bearings in it
i did find that the little block attached to the slide shaft that the accel pump runs off of was loose, it might have helped alittle but it doesnt seem to have fixed it
i sprayed a little silicone lube on the slide itself and that did seem to help it out, but then i forgot to put the pin in, and lost that little connecting rod:mad: i just cant win
i guess i will call them again, get a new connecting rod, and cable, and find out what they want to do now that i already have bearings

i just want to ride:(

muff
03-22-2003, 12:13 PM
ok it could be 3 things

1. cable itself is sticking---to figure if this is the problem, take the cable off and slide it by hand, if there are no snags and slides great then its not your cable

2. with you cable off, push the thumb throttle, how smooth is it? does it stick at all? If it is this take apart the inside of the throttle assembly and clean up any junky areas

3. this time your gonna check your carb, instead of checking the slide like someone had mentioned, take the black side panel off your carb, then turn the mechanism that the cable goes to, this should move fairly easily and if you take the boot off your airbox and turn the choke off you will see the slide moving up and down, if you are turning the mechanism fine but if your slide isnt moving up and down then you'll need to take the top of the carb off and clean up your slide and everything

i cant come up with any other solutions other than maybe your thumb is still on the throttle :p

hope i helped

PHIL_B54
03-22-2003, 12:59 PM
thanks for the reply, but its an edelbrock quicksilver, not the stocker

now im leaning towards it not being the cable, but a rough spot on the slide or a bur, the suction of the engine is what does it, but i guess i will have to wait

PHIL_B54
04-21-2003, 05:15 PM
i got it back from edelbrock, and it is better but it still sticks, i went to little sahara and a guy there told me to check the wheel the cable pulls on and see if its on the set screw flat

maxoutput, i will pm you, but have you got your carb back?
when they worked on mine they said that 3 of them were doing the same thing, i hope it fixed yours

i am planning on calling them back as soon as i get a chance, and i will order a cable too.

anyone else have this problem?

toby400ex
04-22-2003, 05:21 AM
sounds like ur cable is pinched by the gas tank, happened to me during a race

maxoutput
04-22-2003, 01:13 PM
It returns back but wont idle.. had to adj. the needle..