PDA

View Full Version : My custom cooling fan installation (not a Spal fan)

bluegizmo83
02-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Got my cooling fan installed on my 400ex! I ordered this fan off Ebay, its a 220 CFM PC Server Fan (120mm or 4.75") and it moves some serious air!! Yes, I know it will not be water/dust proof like the Spal fan most people install, but I never ride in wet conditions down here in the desert, and even if the sand/dust damages the fan, it only cost me $5 with free shipping on Ebay! This fan was only a fraction of the price of a Spal fan, and this fan moves more air (the Spal fan is only 147 CFM).

I just have the fan temporarily mounted up to my stock oil cooler with some solid core wire wrapped around it to hold it tightly in place for now. After I run it for awhile to see how reliable it is going to be, I will make a permanent mount for the fan.

I have not get a chance to really test out this fans cooling ability yet, but as soon as the temperatures warm up a little bit around here I will take it out and run some very thorough tests. I have a digital thermometer probe to measure the oil temperature in the tank when the time comes for testing.

I did manage to ride it around my yard a little bit for a small test though. My yard is only about 3/4 of an acre, so its fairly slow, but aggressive, riding mostly in 1st gear and just a little bit of 2nd gear. After about 5 minutes if idling to warm it up and then about 15-20 minutes of riding with the fan on, my oil temperature never got above 150 degrees F. Pretty good cooling ability if you ask me, specially since I was riding slow at high rpm's so there wasn't much natural airflow over the cooler and motor.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/16275_490796444290901_1561204082_n.jpg

JOHNDOE83
02-23-2013, 01:17 AM
I used a computer fan just like that for over 5 years now, good lil fans they are cheap, "kinda" water proof and last for a long time "very reliable".

At idle I can feel the air moving across my legs so I know it works great.

bluegizmo83
02-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
I used a computer fan just like that for over 5 years now, good lil fans they are cheap, "kinda" water proof and last for a long time "very reliable".

At idle I can feel the air moving across my legs so I know it works great.

Good to know! I've had mine hooked up for about a week now and I love it. What model of fan did you use? This was the most powerful 120mm PC fan I could find, and at 220 CFM I figured it should work excellent since the Spal fan everyone else uses is only 147 CFM. Its actually a PC Server Fan for an HP Server rack I believe... Found it on Ebay for only $5 with free shipping.

JOHNDOE83
02-23-2013, 01:46 AM
Mine is a sunon, dc12v, 2.4w, KD1212PTB3-6A.

Made in Taiwan.

I got it out of a old computer that someone threw out on the side of the road for free :blah:

bluegizmo83
02-23-2013, 01:51 AM
Mine is a sunon, dc12v, 2.4w, KD1212PTB3-6A.

Made in Taiwan.

I got it out of a old computer that someone threw out on the side of the road for free :blah:

Free is always good! I just looked up that fan and its only 69 CFM, but hey as long as its working for you! If it ever wears out or you just want to upgrade you should definitely get one of the fans I got, its a Nidec V34809, its a little more than 3x the power of the fan your running :cool:

JOHNDOE83
02-23-2013, 02:01 AM
Shoot for $5 ill buy one just to have it, espeacially now knowing mine is only 69 cfm and yours is 220!

Like you said they arent dirt proof but anything 12v dc can get wet and still work fine tho.

So as long as you dont go mudding up to your oil cooler these fans are perfectly fine, Ive straight up pressure cleaned mine and it still works fine....lol.

bluegizmo83
02-23-2013, 02:05 AM
Shoot for $5 ill buy one just to have it, espeacially now knowing mine is only 69 cfm and yours is 220!

Like you said they arent dirt proof but anything 12v dc can get wet and still work fine tho.

So as long as you dont go mudding up to your oil cooler these fans are perfectly fine, Ive straight up pressure cleaned mine and it still works fine....lol.

Here is where I got mine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390509723878?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 he's actually lowered the price, now they're only $4 with free shipping! The fan even comes in that metal case which is nice for protecting the blades and it makes mounting easier.

Oh and here is the PDF file for these fans if you want to see the specs and all that stuff, thats where I read they are 220 CFM. http://www.nidecamerica.com/fanpdfs/va450dcf.pdf

Edit: lol wow, literally RIGHT after I posted this he changed the price back to $5, still a great deal though!