PDA

View Full Version : Plug - Alternatives to B8ES

spintly
02-21-2013, 08:25 PM
I am searching for an alternative to the NGK B8ES. On the 10th hour on my freshly rebuilt engine, the metal tip on the end of the plug let loose and hammered my dome, piston and cylinder. Pretty upset about it.
http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab244/spintly/Snapbucket/00FF2738-orig_zps45ac4b4d.jpg

The engine is now rebuilt and I don't want to use the NGK B8ES again. What else is there? I used the cross reference section on the Denso site for B8ES, and it came up with three plugs: nickel, iridium and iridium/platinum. http://www.densoproducts.com/SearchResults.aspx?st=4&cat=NGK&kw=b8es

Any one running these? Don't care about the cost as I it will cheaper than a complete top end rebuild. Just would like some opinions. I am still running the stock ignition system. Thanks

Burns310r
02-22-2013, 05:04 AM
NGK is probably the best plug you can run. I have run hundreds of them through my MX R's. I understand you had a bad experience. But regardless, they are still the best choice.

rablack21
02-22-2013, 06:42 AM
I agree completely with Burns. NGK is still the best plugs to use. The only difference is, I run the iridiums instead of the regular plugs.

Grande Huevos
02-22-2013, 12:08 PM
I've ran nothing but ngk br8es and br9es probably around 100 or more and I have never had any issues or ever seen this happen. I feel for you though that sucks!!! Is it possible that you weakend the tip from gaping it or hitting it on the ground to close the gap tighter ??? Did it knock a hole in the top of your piston by chance? Just tryin to think of ways this could have happened.

spintly
02-22-2013, 12:17 PM
The funny thing is that it was gapped dead on from the factory, which was strange. I am waiting to hear back from NGK. I sent the plug to them for analysis. Hopefully I will hear back something soon. I have alyways run the 8's without issue until this. Just trying to find something different. If I stick with NGK, then I am ordering one straight from them, since I am basically the only one that buys this plug at the shop I go to avoid the bad batch theory. No hole in the piston just a thousand little dings all over the head and top of piston, then it finally settled into the right side of the piston and scored the cylinder pretty bad.

red88r
02-22-2013, 10:37 PM
Had this same thing happen on my 88 Chevy Berreta back in 98 with a AC Delco plug. Should of sent that plug in. Cost me 500 bucks to get fixed.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-23-2013, 01:15 PM
That plug tip looks mighty dry, you sure you dont have an ignition issue.

Give some details, gas used, compression, timing setting.

I dont know 100%, but I believe I remember hearing about some knock off NGK plugs being sold & could very well be one of those.
Everything on them looked the same as NGK, box & all except were counterfeit.
Neil

spintly
02-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Neil, I don't think I have an ignition issue, but maybe I do.

I run pump gas 92 octane with Klotz R50, Haven't taken compression reading lately and I am using the stock ignition system, with the exception of running an aftermarket CDI box. The funny thing is that when I put the aftermarket box on, it kicked back much more than my old one. Haven't had any problems with it, but maybe it is the culprit for my misfortune. I am waiting to hear back from NGK on what they think caused the tip to break off, so we'll see. For this year, I am going to find a stock 88 CDI to put back on. Any other suggestions?

Were the counterfiet plugs sold to dealers or auto parts warehouses? I buy mine from a local parts dealer.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by spintly
Neil, I don't think I have an ignition issue, but maybe I do.

I run pump gas 92 octane with Klotz R50, Haven't taken compression reading lately and I am using the stock ignition system, with the exception of running an aftermarket CDI box. The funny thing is that when I put the aftermarket box on, it kicked back much more than my old one. Haven't had any problems with it, but maybe it is the culprit for my misfortune. I am waiting to hear back from NGK on what they think caused the tip to break off, so we'll see. For this year, I am going to find a stock 88 CDI to put back on. Any other suggestions?

Were the counterfiet plugs sold to dealers or auto parts warehouses? I buy mine from a local parts dealer.

I cant remember where they were sold, maybe aftermarket bike & quad parts houses I guess, but I've been getting NGKs from a place like that & never had a problem with one.

You know, I hate to say it, but that pump gas could very well be what happened.
When your trying to use to low an octane gas, even 92, the engine will spark knock & rattle the plug loose & sometime spit the plug out, so its knocking on that plug pretty hard.

That ethanol laced pump gas, is killing small engines every day, so it is real important that you know what octane you got, how much compression the engine has & where the ignition timing is set at.
Trouble is, you might think your getting 92 pump, but do you know your getting 92 octane gas.
Its real easy for the tanker driver delivering to a station, to drop the wrong product in the wrong holding tank, like regular 87 in the prem 92 tank, so when you fill up your jug, what have you got.
Things like that & then you have no idea why your engine just messed up.

I know its high priced & sometimes hard to find, but race gas only way to be safe & not have to wonder,,, will I kill it today.
Neil