PDA

View Full Version : To risky to run no airbox / open filter?

beobe99
02-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Whats up guys? Well I'm having a hell of a time finding an Air Box that will clear my No-link shock set up and have been debating running (making) an airbox delete set up.

Obviously it's risky, so my main Qs. is how well do those filter skins work with repelling water? Will I have to re-jet the carb also? I mainly ride trails / Recreational with the occasional puddles typical to the terrain..

Thanks guys!!

Meat
02-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Last year it was dry in Pennsylvania, but the previous two years it rained every goddam day. There where puddles everywhere. I could not get my quad waterproofed with my fabbed up, no-link airbox. I use a Uni filter with an Outerware. I ran with no lid for a while and that didn't work at all. Then I got a lid but it was far from waterproof, I had gaps all the way around the lid. This lid setup didn't work well either.

I could blast through water and be fine most of the time, but if I'd hit a puddle hard enuf to splash onto my helmet and get me wet, then I was guaranteed to suck water through the filter. I'm fed up with my no-link airbox. I've also been using the stock snorkel, this year I've taken off the snorkel and I hope that fixes my waterproofing problems.

Also... you'll definitely have to re-jet if you remove your airbox altogether.

beobe99
02-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the feed back, This No-link set up is holding everything up as far as the airbox goes. I guess I'm going to have to have someone weld me something up..
I was given a good tip by Jeroski but was having troubles pulling it off (using a heat gun to warm up the stock box and pushing it in away from the shock).

Thanks again.

spintly
02-21-2013, 07:54 PM
I don't know if this will help with a no link airbox, but I run this EHS racing cover on my stock box. Been working really well for the last two years. I ran no lid for the longest time with a foam filter on top, then found this and I am happy I did. As meat said, it rains quite a bit in PA and my filter has been dry every ride with this. All you have to do is modify a stock airbox lid. I do not run the stock snorkel either.
http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab244/spintly/Snapbucket/B242A90A-orig_zps3986a481.jpg
http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab244/spintly/Snapbucket/8B62BC09-orig_zps3228c99a.jpg