PDA

View Full Version : Is the metal airfilter cage necessary?

2001-400ex'er
02-19-2013, 06:22 PM
I have an aluminum airbox and Sparks airfilter kit with the battery inside so the filter doesn't fit without taking the metal cage out of the filter. I wanna order a spare filter but figured I'd ask what are your thoughts on running it without the cage. Seems harmless I guess but I'd like some input.

81dasher81
02-20-2013, 05:07 AM
does the sparks filter come with the cage? if so i'd run it.. if not then dont worry about it

400exrip
02-20-2013, 09:25 AM
When I ordered my filters from Curtis Sparks they didnt have no cage in them at all. Now like a UNI filter i know for a fact comes with the metal cage in them, but i always take them out. i do this because i run a no air box setup, and taking the cage out makes the filter 50% lighter and keeps me from worring bout the airfilter possibly falling off while racing. And actually make the airflow a lot better without the cage in it.

AtvKid4Eva
02-20-2013, 11:48 AM
The metal cage aids in clamping the filter to the snorkel. Without it i dont see how you could get the filter to clamp down securely? I would use it. It dosent effect anything performance wise.

400man
02-20-2013, 01:33 PM
you could cut the metal cage shorter to make it fit like u want, thats what i would do. it kinda helps the filter from colapsing in i would think?

jcs003
02-20-2013, 02:20 PM
a trx250r uni filter is tapered and a lil shorter. this may give you the room you need.

jman7290
02-20-2013, 03:17 PM
I cut the black plastic edge off of the cage that came with my UNI to get it to fit right in my aluminum air box with the battery inside. I just put the metal cage inside the filter to keep it from sucking the filter together. Works great!

Rip_Tear
02-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Without a cage you also have a possibility of having the air filter collapse , I'd suggest just shortening the cage or make a smaller one. If the filter collapses it would restrict air flow which wouldn't be good, also the other possibilities mentioned.

slightlybent47
02-22-2013, 02:02 PM
The cage keeps the foam filter from collapsing when you open up the throttle and like mentioned before, it gives you something to clamp to. You can try it with out it and see if it works for you.

Thumpin440ex
02-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Without a cage you also have a possibility of having the air filter collapse , I'd suggest just shortening the cage or make a smaller one. If the filter collapses it would restrict air flow which wouldn't be good, also the other possibilities mentioned.

Agreed. it is there for aid in helping from collapsing, for clamping..

John