PDA

View Full Version : transmission

dgmiller
02-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Well my boy has a 08drr on Sunday he was ramping and not letting off the throttle and now rear tires won't turn so I'm guessing the transmission gear is broke. My question is how do i fix this? I haven't tore into this motor before. is it an easy job our something i need to find a shop to do? Any help would be great

Logan #34's Dad
02-18-2013, 09:11 PM
It's an easy job - If your mechanically inclined. I think there may be a youtube video.
Drain the fluid(bolt underneath), remove the sprocket, take off the belt cover, pull the rear cluch assembly off(17mm bolt), there will be a few allen head bolts holding the trans cover on - remove them and pop the cover off. Replace with new ones...
Then buy a slipper sprocket... :) And so it begins...welcome to the cvt world... :blah:

dgmiller
02-18-2013, 09:15 PM
My boy has raced a drr for 2 years but he's starting to get more aggressive so more broken parts. Thanks for the help

Logan #34's Dad
02-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by dgmiller
My boy has raced a drr for 2 years but he's starting to get more aggressive so more broken parts. Thanks for the help

He is only going to get faster and more aggressive SO, It may be time to invest in a slipper clutch. Justin at MaximumRPM sells what you need.

ontargetracing
02-19-2013, 02:26 PM
I am selling some parts you might need/want

Slipper Sprockets and Reverse Threaded Output Shaft..

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=498774

desratt
02-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Glad we made the switch to a cobra. Never had an issue with this since. Cobra friction drive saves alot of headache.

dgmiller
02-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Well I got it out it was broke :rolleyes: when I bought the quad it had a new transmission extra so just need a new gasket and a couple new snap rings while it's apart Im going to replace the rollers and torque spring

mmsoup
02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Yamabond works well in place of gasket.

Check the bottom of the cases under the transmission tunnel to make sure the break didn't crack the case. Look on the outside of the case on the bottom side

Check the needle bearing in the tunnel and make sure the seal in the tunnel is still aligned and not chewed up

mmsoup
02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Yamabond works well in place of gasket.

Check the bottom of the cases under the transmission tunnel to make sure the break didn't crack the case. Look on the outside of the case on the bottom side

Check the needle bearing in the tunnel and make sure the seal in the tunnel is still aligned and not chewed up

desratt
02-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Yes i've had those needle bearings fail more then any other transmission part.

selbygirl
02-21-2013, 09:36 AM
dave carter has a nice set up for the trannys ,you have to send it to him he drills the case and puts bigger needle bearings in . i sent him one with a cracked case and he fixed it , i had a buddy of mine send him one with a hole in the case you could put a number 2 pencil in it and he fixed it , make sure your chain is real lose make the chain tensioner do all the work ,if the chain is to tight when you land that put a lot of stress on the tranny, and get your self a slipper sprocket use the 19 tooth drr slipper sprocket .the apex slippers dont hold up as well .thats what we used for years and held up great, and slipper clutches are good to use allso wotring racing makes them at a good price