PDA

View Full Version : 88 89 frame problems

250rice
02-17-2013, 08:21 PM
ok my problem is my frame holes where the swingare bolt goes though is egg shaped so bad that my swingarm moves back an forth. now the swing arm is hitting the back off the motor. it has a nice shinny spot where it rubs. the swing arm also has a shinny spot. i just put new swingarm bearings in but the old one did not look bad. needless to say i can still push the swingarm up into the motor and it still hits. so i could use some ideas on how to fix the swingarm bolt holes

rk88r
02-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Weld the right size washer on to the frame.

250rice
02-21-2013, 05:53 PM
well i been thinking about this what if i use a the old tube that the needle bearing ride on. since it has the same size hole as the bolt. ill just drill it out the frame to make it fit which wont be much and weld it in place from the swingarm side then grind it smooth. iam thinking this should be a good fix because its harder metal than washers. let me know what u think about it

Langbolt
02-22-2013, 08:10 AM
I hope you're not gonna just take a HAND Drill to your frame to make the hole bigger ? If it's crooked then your swingarm alignment will be off....You should have someone at a machine shop bore the hole with a milling machine and get it right so you don't have problems down the road. ie chain wear....then breakage and ruin your cases.

my 2 cents

:devil:

fearlessfred
02-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by rk88r
Weld the right size washer on to the frame. this is the way to go.the washers dont need to be any harder then the mild steel frame.the swing arm bolt needs to be kept tight to prevent this from happening again.the washer setup will allow you to check alianment and motor clearance before tack welding