PDA

View Full Version : New rotor & pads: Block off doesn't fit

JOEX
03-14-2003, 05:44 PM
I installed a new rear rotor and pads (Magnum), When I tighten the P/B block off plate, it pushes the pin and locks up the breaks.:confused:
I only need about 1/2mm or so to clear, so I thought about drilling an indentation into the block off but the drill bit tip is conical shaped and there isn't enough meat on the block off to make it work.
I'm thinking about using some thin washers and a gasket sealer until the pads wear down enough to tighten the block off plate the right way.
Any other ideas?

Joe

terko440
03-15-2003, 01:17 AM
Hey Joex, What kind of block off is it? It should already have an indention hole in it. If it dont take it back. Your right though, that would be your problem if it's hitting that pin.

dariusld
03-15-2003, 11:30 AM
I seen on another web site where they talked about cutting off that shaft and welding the hole shut on a 250r. A little over my head though. I think they did it mainly for cosmetic reasons. On the 400 that shaft is connected to the brake piston but I don't know how its connected, I think its part of the piston.

TRX_Thumper
03-15-2003, 12:06 PM
i bought my 300 new in april and installed a block off kit and i had to take a dremel an cut off about 1/8 inch of the shaft...hasnt caused any probelms yet

K_Fulk
03-15-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
I seen on another web site where they talked about cutting off that shaft and welding the hole shut on a 250r. A little over my head though. I think they did it mainly for cosmetic reasons. On the 400 that shaft is connected to the brake piston but I don't know how its connected, I think its part of the piston.

I'm doing that with my rear caliper for my xc bike. I'll post a pic of it when i get it back. If you dont want to cut the shaft off you can just put a front caliper piston on the rear. But it would be cheaper just to get a diffrent block off.

toby400ex
03-15-2003, 03:06 PM
just cut off some of the shaft:huh

JOEX
03-15-2003, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the replies:)

It's a James Lucky block off and it has an indentation in it. It worked fine before I replaced the rotor and pads. Maybe the pads or rotor are a bit thicker than they should be.
I only need about 1/2mm or so more to fit.
I thought about using a dremel to grind a little more out of the plate but I didn't think about grinding the shaft. That just might work:)

Joe

dingo
03-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Joe,
Drink some beer then use a hammer. It'll fit with a couple of good swings. It must kinda suck wait this long for your axle then it won't just go all back together. Its gota mess with ya. Allways works like that :grr :mad: