PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum sprockets on 400ex

RNL
02-14-2013, 09:49 PM
In a past Dirtwheels mag I have, the did a test on a 2012 400x. One of the mods they performed was to change the steel sprockets out for aluminum ones. It stated in the article it was not only to reduce weight of the quad, but to reduce rotating mass for better power transfer. Is this mod a realistic mod that you actually feel in power transfer to the wheels? Has anyone done this before? It just seems so minimal, I can't see it affecting performance much at all.

slightlybent47
02-15-2013, 02:14 AM
The less mass that’s being turned will have some effect. Tire weight, wheel weight, axel weight, and even the length of the axel or running an o-ring chain verses an non o-ring chain will have some effect. But just the sprocket alone is not going to do much.
Plus aluminum sprockets wear out too fast.
I run a non o-ring chain with steal sprockets and they all wear out at the same rate, so when its time to replace, I can replace them all at the same time. Witch is the best way to do it.
Steal sprockets are cheaper as well.

Blodg
02-15-2013, 05:43 AM
I like reading the mags but keep in mind that many times they are trying to sell parts for their sponsors. I agree with slightlybent in that any gain is so small that it is not worth the trade off in wearing out faster. I put aluminium sprockets on my 500RX hybrid because it seemed like the cool thing to do for mx racing. With all the torque of the built 500cc 4 stroke after just a few races the teeth on the sprocket were noticeable "hooked" so they can wear out really fast.

AtvKid4Eva
02-15-2013, 05:49 AM
you will notice no gains in power by switching to an aluminum sprocket lol. spend your money elsewhere.

RNL
02-15-2013, 05:50 AM
I see, I think going with lighter weight tires on the back would have a more drastic effect on performance anyways. I know some aftermarket tires are very heavy. I was pondering a nice 19 inch rear tire combo for less weight, lower center of gravity, and more acceleration. I think an 18 inch rear would be to small for trail riding. I know a couple guys who run the stock 18's on their LTR 450's and can get by on the same trails I ride(Northern Michigan ORV trails). So I think a 19 would be fine.

HondaRacing83
02-15-2013, 07:50 AM
not worth it. my cousin tried all the lightweight stuff on his 660 raptor with 19in tires and i just wamp the **** out of him in the woods on my 400ex with my big *** 6 ply xc tires simply because im a better rider lol. if you ride trails i highly suggest getting 20inch rears 21inch fronts probably 6ply. dont rely on silly little things like that to make you faster, rely on yourself being a better rider.

slightlybent47
02-15-2013, 03:00 PM
If you were drag racing and weight was something to look at, then maybe!
Let a pro ride your bike and they will make it do things you only dream of.
Point being, most of us (me included) cant ride a bike to the full limits of what it can do, so spending money on things that don’t do any good, is a waste of time, spend more time in the saddle and learn to ride better.

As far as tires, MX tires are mostly 2 ply to hold down on weight. You don’t need puncture resistance on an MX track, though I did find a wood spike about an inch in diameter from a tree root, stuck in my tire, riding on an MX track.
XC riding or trail riding you need a tougher tire so there generally 4 ply or even 6 ply.

The tires you choose for your type of riding will make more since then an aluminum sprocket.

cheater13
02-19-2013, 08:25 AM
You'd probably see more results in these lighter wheels than you would if you got aluminum sprockets:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/50/81/257/992/Douglas-Wheels

I plan on getting the .125s for drag racing so i don't know how they'll hold up in rough trail riding. I have stocker rims for regular riding so i don't have to worry about denting an aluminum wheel.

Zakradu398
02-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by cheater13
You'd probably see more results in these lighter wheels than you would if you got aluminum sprockets:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/50/81/257/992/Douglas-Wheels

I plan on getting the .125s for drag racing so i don't know how they'll hold up in rough trail riding. I have stocker rims for regular riding so i don't have to worry about denting an aluminum wheel.

The Blue labels (.125) will NOT hold up well to trail riding at all.

JOHNDOE83
02-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Zakradu398
The Blue labels (.125) will NOT hold up well to trail riding at all.

Yes they will bend fast if you trail ride with them.

The blue labels are for racing only, mainly drag racing but are excellent if you wanna win a nationals race and weight is a issue.

Speaking of sprokets being worth it or not, I build atv's for drag racing and I dont even use alloy, sure alloy sproks will help but I would rather use a steel sproket and get lighter tires, steering stem, subframe...etc.

Alloy is cool if your racing for first place in a season, for trails and mild mx racing forget about that light weight stuff.