PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! with Raptor 250 oil problem

camarodean1969
02-13-2013, 06:31 PM
I posted a thred about head bolts, i thought mabey i didn't tighten them enough. I tore the thing back down & cleaned all the oil out of the jug, on top of the piston...ect. Put it back together and retorqued the entire assembly back down to 25ftlbs. Fired it back up, same thing again, smoke like crazy. Only ran it for 10 to 12 sec. Tore it all back down and there is a teaspoon of oil on the top of the piston. Where is it comming from?????? Do i have the oil rings in wrong? Would that much oil get by all three rings in that amount of time? Is it getting by the head gasket because to tight or to loose? I looked at a parts breakdown & don't see anything to keep the oil in that one head bolt hole up to the top of the motor other than the head gasket. Please help, if i can't figure this out going to have to take to somebody and pay $$$$ for them to fix it. Would like to do it myself.

jweidner
02-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Hello,
couple things to check,

if motor is apart, make sure ring markings are facing up.

Make sure you do not have scaper ring and compression ring switched around. Scaper ring is darker in color.

Torgue cylinder head to oem torque spec and follow torque sequence

stuppid question. Oil level correct?

All gasket surfaces must be oil free, spray with carb cleaner and let dry,

do u see oil leaking between head and cylinder on the outside with engine running, look very close. Dowels could be keeping head from mating well to cylinder.

Just my suggestions
thanks

camarodean1969
02-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the reply, going to pull jug tomorrow. I think that i do have the oil rings in wrong or something. Did not know that there is a top & bottom to the oil rings. I will be taking a closer look at them. I thought that there is just 2 really thin rings with the corrigated one between.

jweidner
02-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Not all manufactures have markings on them

i would look at the scraper ring (2nd ring) and the expander ring.

If there is markings on the ring, markings face up

thanks

camarodean1969
02-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the replys, i tore the unit back down. Carefully pulled the jug off the piston, seemed like everything was ok. took it over to a friends shop and re inserted the rings & piston using a clamp this time, put it all back together......Runs great!! Smoked for a while, all the oil thru out the exhauxt burned out but finally fixed. Going to check the valve lash & put the plastic on & go ride the hell out of it. Thanks for the help

jweidner
02-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Sounds good.
Thanks