PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Sprocket set up

CCTXMan
02-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Best set up ppl have found? Short track, long track, holeshots... Bought 13-15 front sprockets and have 38-49 rear. So I can play with it, but wanted ppls input.

CCTXMan
02-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Without all the new upgrades, this thing smoked fully built 90cc's last year on the holeshots! Can't wait to see what it does this year!

Sprockets last year: 14-48

jay-r
02-13-2013, 07:19 AM
If you were smoking fully built 90s on the holeshot with a Cobra 50, then you don't need to change anything. Sounds like an interesting setup. Never heard of anyone running close to a 28mm flatslide carb on a 50.

I would be happy if we could holeshot a national built 50 CVT with a Cobra 50.

14/48 is a good baseline gearing for medium speed tracks and good starts. Most national style tracks need taller gearing. It depends on the rider as much as the track. The faster the rider, the higher the gearing. You definitely have the range of sprockets covered.

CCTXMan
02-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Ya had that carb, thought I'd try it, and it def
Opened it up, Guess play it by year and see what the track says... That's what practice days are for. :)

jay-r
02-13-2013, 08:04 AM
Gearing seems to be a secret. I have seen people grind the numbers off the rear sprockets so no one can see what their running.

Depends on the track layout, the track conditions, rider skill, quad setup, and clutch tuning. Everyone prefers something different. What works with your quad and rider may not work well for someone else. One tooth in the rear makes a difference. One tooth on the front is a huge difference. Make a chart of your ratios and keep notes of what you run on each track.