PDA

View Full Version : Best way to ship tires/rims?

GetOut&Ride
02-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Hey guys... wondering if someone could help me out here.

Bought/sold several things out here on the forums but never rims/tires. I have 16" snow hogs on black aluminum rims, 18" snow hogs on polished aluminum rims, etc. that I plan on putting out for sale here (and maybe some 18" DWT's on polished... haven't decided yet on those).

I know everyone prefers that I list price as "total with shipping" so can anyone advise how they shipped at most reasonable cost so I can figure out what I should ask for price shipped?

Do you guys put in a big honkin box via US Postal service, or do you just stack them and then put piece of cardboard on top & bottom and cinch up tight with that reinforced flat binding strap material stuff or what does a guy do?

Thanks in advance for your help

02-12-2013, 08:27 AM
I have sold lots of rims and tires. I just stack them and shrinck wrap them 2gether.. never had a issue.

GetOut&Ride
02-12-2013, 08:29 AM
so who/how do you do the shrink wrapping?

(assume you don't just mean saran-wrap from the old ladies kitchen cupboard?... or maybe you do?)

brian250racer
02-12-2013, 09:00 AM
I actually had someone ship a set of Warrior fenders to me that way last week(saran wrap). It only ended up costing about $40 for some reason, even though it was an irregular shaped package.

fomospede
02-12-2013, 09:05 AM
i use packing tape and have never had a problem
once i used plastic banding and the buyer said it had cut the tires but never seen pics

GetOut&Ride
02-12-2013, 09:15 AM
OK, thanks guys

and with these methods are you shiping via US Postal Service, FedEx, UPS? (I thought Post Office or Pak Mail once told me that they can't ship things not in a box)

ontargetracing
02-12-2013, 09:46 AM
You can buy larger rolls of plastic wrap at home depot.. it’s the same stuff they use to wrap pallets. It works good for shipping large items, frames nerf bars etc… just throw some bubble wrap in there too

fomospede
02-12-2013, 10:09 AM
fed ex
cardboard the ends

GetOut&Ride
02-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks everybody for the help... sounds like a trip to Home Depot, eat a couple Jack's frozen Pizzas (so I can use the cardboard circle bottoms :-) and figure out what fair asking price should be and I'm on my way.

Appreciate the help everyone!

GetOut&Ride
02-12-2013, 11:22 AM
At risk of being annoying... $40 for one pair of rims & tires shipped via UPS or FedEx with this method (cardboard on ends and shrink wrap) an average shipping price to plan for from y'alls experience? ... or what should I plan for?

ontargetracing
02-12-2013, 11:47 AM
$40 sounds about right but weigh and measure.. most shipping sites, USPS, UPS etc… have calculators on their page to estimate shipping.

HillOnWheels
02-12-2013, 07:14 PM
I just shipped 4 rims and tires and some other parts all in one box from Oklahoma to Minnesota via FedEx and with insurance cost $43. all parts weighed 49lbs. I didnt think that was bad. and made it in 4 days.