PDA

View Full Version : trx500r vs trx400ex with c250

shortzt.15
02-09-2013, 10:26 PM
im building a hybrid and would it be better to go with a cr 500 motor or to go with a cr250 motor, yes they say that they vibarate th e500s but i rode one tat was solid mounted and rubber mount exhaust and it wasnt that much worse than a 250r

JOHNDOE83
02-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Either one is awesome, I wanted either one and it just so happend the first one in my price range that came along was a running cr250 motor.

I REALLY wanted the 500 motor tho, but the cr250 conversion was more then I expected so Im extremely happy :D

My best advice is to get a complete running bike, that way you have everything and extra that you need for the conversion. Get a baseline price, mine was $500. Shop religously on craigslist, ebay or where ever you like to shop until you find your deal. ''It took 6 months for me to find my bike for my price" but it was worth the wait. What sucks is 2 months later a running cr500 came up for $600...lol.

If you just buy a motor youll need things like electronics, kick starter, carb boot, carb, pipe, bolts...etc.

Buying a complete running bike eliminates headaches but ads to junk in the shed.

shortzt.15
02-11-2013, 01:47 PM
How hard is the pipe to run

JOHNDOE83
02-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Well I used a trx250r based in frame pipe that went to a 400 pilot cylinder 250r motor.

So my pipe is actually routed differently then a normal 250r pipe or cr250 pipe. I wanted a big bore inframe drag pipe so I went with the best company out there for these things and that was FTZ racing "but Im building for drag racing".

I would reccomend a 250r pipe routed just like a 250r, unless you can get the cr250 pipe to fit right.

The issue is that the cr250 motor in my build I raised up in the front to make the sprokets have more of a straight line with the chain in place.

Im sure if the motor was lower a 250r pipe would fit better but the front sproket will ride low on the swingarm and chain slider, i dont know if this would cause a issue or not but I raised it anyway to avoid the issue.

Worst case scenario, you build it high like mine and have to get some extra pipe fab work done. Or it could be the exact opposite for all we know.

I can guide you on what to do either way, if you get stuck or have questions. Once you get to that point in the build you'll see what I mean.

shortzt.15
02-12-2013, 02:12 PM
I read the 250r pipe really kills the cr motor

JOHNDOE83
02-12-2013, 04:00 PM
I would think that the standard size 250r pipe would be slightly restrictive.

If I were to do it again with a 250r pipe I would use a trx11 or a ct whale pipe, something very large compared to a 250r or stock cr pipe.

I rode a few times the cr250 with a fmf gnarly pipe, the pipe switch was noticeable overall not just one spot, it almost made a broader more controllable powerband. The ftz pipe is almost twice the size of the gnarly pipe.

Were talkin huge changes in gearing and weight, tire size..etc...

The motor with new pipe seems to be more powerful, just as fast and wider power band, I believe the pipe bumped up HP atleast by 5 horses, this balanced out the weight and going from 1 big tire to 2 small tires to almost make it on level with a cr250.

just some personal notices during and after the build.

Where did you read about a trx pipe on a cr motor? I would like to read up on it to see what people are saying.

shortzt.15
02-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Im not sure maybe atv connections I searched people who did the conversion, and how does the cr250 motor compare to the trx250r also does anyone know if you csn buy just the exhaust from service honda from there srx250