PDA

View Full Version : Buffing fenders

leager-n-ky
02-09-2013, 05:40 PM
you guy's ever hear of anyone Buffing/polishing fenders ???

cdrookie
02-10-2013, 05:17 AM
way back in the day dirt wheels ran a series of articles about a clapped out warrior they bought to fix on a budget. guy buffed it's stock fenders to what looked like a very nice shine. said it takes a while and to have lots of patients. i tried it once but i have no patients...

Grande Huevos
02-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by leager-n-ky
you guy's ever hear of anyone Buffing/polishing fenders ???

I think it just takes a lot if hand sanding . I'm going through this right now. The plastics I have are silver fullbores that have been painted with green and then painted black over the green in many coats. I have stripped them with paint remover rinsed them stripped again and rinsed them until almost all the paint is completly gone. then i sanded them down with 120 grit, rinse sand with 180 rinse then 220 and so far they are looking surprisingly good!!! i still have to hit them with 280, 320,400 and then 600 to give them the super smooth feel. I'm hoping that after all that I can clean them really well and put on a good wax like pig glow and they will shine. Either way they will look 100 times better then paint. I will post my progress as I go.

DoonRider
02-11-2013, 10:29 PM
I did this with mine:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=462445&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

It worked good, but takes some time and effort.

C-LEIGH RACING
02-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Dont know if this will help you once you get done sanding & smoothing, but to put shine back on, I use a floor wax sold at Lowes building supply.

At one time, Lowes had their own brand name of this product called Red Max, sold for like $15.95 a gallon, but then stores got to running out of that type because motorhome owners were using it to put the shine back on fadded out paint jobs, so it was being bought up like hot cakes.

That Red Max floor wax, was made by a company called Zep & once all the stocks of the Red Max were sold out, they came back with the Zep line of products.
Lowes carries the full line of Zep products & they have two different type of the wax, a regular shine like $16 bucks a gallon & then the "High Luster" for $25
One gallon of either type will last you a long time. Didnt take but like half a Qt to do a whole 32' motorhome & it made it look like it had been a new clear coat put on.
I use it on my daughters R after every wash, makes that 4 year old Laker Customs Plastic look brand new.

It will take like 4 coats rubbed on with a lint free cloth, waiting a few minutes between coats, because your rubbing on micro coats each time.
First coat will look like crap & more you put on better the shine is.
Weather dont seam to bother it because it is hard once you put it on, but it wont crack on those plastic fenders like clear paint will do.

Check it out, you'll be surprised at the results, I know I was on the motorhome & quad.
Chuckie Creech even uses it on his boat & quads.
Neil