PDA

View Full Version : Running a 2 stroke out of gas????

rooster300ex
02-09-2013, 07:17 AM
I will delete this thread after I get this cleared up, prolly wont have any helpful info.

I was reading on kawasaki motorcycle fourms, and this guy wanted to know the advantages and disadvantages of a 2 stroke engine, and one guy said if u run a 2 stroke out of gas it could possibly blow it up??? I don't understand how u can blow something up if u run it out of gas and its not running LOL. Is there any truth in this is there a lack of lubcricant when u run it low on fuel or what??

quad2xtreme
02-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
I will delete this thread after I get this cleared up, prolly wont have any helpful info.

I was reading on kawasaki motorcycle fourms, and this guy wanted to know the advantages and disadvantages of a 2 stroke engine, and one guy said if u run a 2 stroke out of gas it could possibly blow it up??? I don't understand how u can blow something up if u run it out of gas and its not running LOL. Is there any truth in this is there a lack of lubcricant when u run it low on fuel or what??

I hope not. I run my chainsaw out of gas all the time. Ran the YZ125 out on a few occasions too.

rooster300ex
02-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
I hope not. I run my chainsaw out of gas all the time. Ran the YZ125 out on a few occasions too.

I don't think running a 2 stroke out of gas will make it blow up or whatever lol. idk where that guy got that idea

rooster300ex
02-09-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm gonna see if anybody else replies there might be a reason he said that idk

atvfrk10
02-09-2013, 10:49 AM
We run our 250r out of gas every time we ride. Its usually a long time before we start it again so we don't want to worry about the carburetor getting gunked up. Never had a problem.

I can see were he get the idea of running out of fuel will cause it to blow up, but once it runs out of fuel, the engine cant produce enough power to go through its cycle, so it cuts out. The oil doesn't magically disappear the instant there is low fuel/no fuel.

muddy400EX
02-09-2013, 01:55 PM
i know from nitro rc cars that 2 strokes rev up really high on the last bit of gas, but they can't run long enough to blow it up:confused:

CSR400EX
02-09-2013, 04:50 PM
The only way i can see it hurting anything is if you are 5th gear pinned and it runs out of gas, even then it probably wouldn't do much harm, OR the chance that it runs out of gas and starts dieseling on you and revs out of control. I've had that happen once or twice.

K-Dub
02-09-2013, 06:10 PM
The theory behind this is: it causes a lean condition for the last few seconds it is running. If you are already lean on your jetting this may seize a piston. Does not happen real often, but I have had engine builders tell me not to let a built high comp 2 stroke run out of gas for this reason.

rollie
02-09-2013, 07:10 PM
my 2 stroke snow blower has been run out of gas every time it, well runs out of gas haha, for over 20 years :cool:

smr
02-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Not likely to hurt a 2 stroke but a 4 stroke high compression it can cuase it to missfire and float a valve.

Zakradu398
02-11-2013, 07:36 AM
The only way I see running a 2 stroke out of gas bad is if you have a twin cylinder such as the banshee. If one side is still running it's pushing the other side up and down with no lube from the pre-mix..

Tommy Warren
02-11-2013, 03:46 PM
2 stroke just rev up and create a lot more power due to the lack of gas causing a lean condition.... it won't hurt anything on a stock or lightly modded engine

JOHNDOE83
02-11-2013, 07:08 PM
When my cr250r motor atv hybrid runs outta gas it revs out EXTREMELY high for a good minute brfore dying.

Its scary because it if your not paying attention and it runs outta gas, not even the tether kill will cut the motor off while this is happening.

It could blow the motor, no gas = no lube it also means a highly lean scenario for a few mins at high RPMs.

I dont know if it does hurt it or not, but it scares the crap outta me everytime it happens....lol.

sangheraent
02-11-2013, 07:30 PM
I have blown a bike up from running out of gas. However it started turning on and off like a light switch because a little fuel would go in and let it run for a couple of seconds I was going full throttle 5th gear pinned and eventually the oil on the bottom ran out and the bike was left with 58 psi compression.

Iv have learned now that when my bikes run out of gas just clutch it and stop. I have run out of gas on my race bike 3-4 times on the track and several times out riding and never had any problems.

rooster300ex
02-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Makes sense. Thanks for all the replies. I have noticed if i forget to turn my gas on after a riding break it will start idleing high and low. Thanks everybody

rooster300ex
02-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Ok i'm gonna delete this thread unless people think it has some useful info if not let me know.

chronicsmoke
02-12-2013, 09:16 AM
might as well leave it up rooster! Good info for anyone who searches for it

rooster300ex
02-16-2013, 08:05 AM
I'll keep it posted up then. More to running a 2 stroke out of gas then I thought