PDA

View Full Version : Oil question

mad4106
02-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Im a newbie to the 450 I been owning a 400ex for the longest but I don't know how to change the oil on my 07 450r I just had it for a couple of days now. I see a glass see through hole for the oil I bought rotella 15w 40 to change what goes on the oil spot on the other right spot can I use rotella 15w 40 as well also for that oil spot or no?

CJM
02-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Theres an engine drain bolt on the bottom of the engine, drain it and kick the engine over with the killswitch off. Refill about 3/4 of a quart

Trans plug is above the shifter. Refill is 3/4 quart.

mad4106
02-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Mine is electric start so I would have to remove the ignition thing on the spark plug I'm assuming to turn it over is the drain screw a silver bolt or black one I just looked?

yfm250rider
02-07-2013, 08:13 PM
there is a drain plug under the engine sprocket and one under the block and theres two black plastic caps that unscrew i ran blu ray 10 40 for the motor and gear savior for the trans: note trans fluid is on the right side of the motor and motor oil on the side with the small glass window

desratt
02-07-2013, 08:21 PM
If you turn it over with no oil do it again before you start it. This will reprime the oil pump. With a kicker it is always good pracktice to kick slow a few times before firing.

mad4106
02-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Where can u buy gear savior and do they have other trans fluid u can buy at a local auto store or do u have to buy from a Honda dealer? And how often do u have to change your transmission fluid and how uk if u added enough cause theirs no dipstick?

yfm250rider
02-08-2013, 10:09 AM
you can buy gear savior at any local dealership i dont think they sell it at auto stores i would suggest running it because running motor oil in the trans screws with the clutch and its .72 of a quart there s measurements on the bottle and change the trans fluid at the same time as the motor oil

2001400exrida
02-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by yfm250rider
you can buy gear savior at any local dealership i dont think they sell it at auto stores i would suggest running it because running motor oil in the trans screws with the clutch and its .72 of a quart there s measurements on the bottle and change the trans fluid at the same time as the motor oil

i call BS on this.

most any motor oil that is suitable for atv wet clutch applications is fine for the trans. Figure this, 400ex's, yfz's, ltr's, don't have the option to run a trans oil so they all run motor oil in both the clutch and the motor. It's a nice option to be able to put trans specific oil in these honda's, but certainly is not required.

you can run honda hp4, gn4, honda red bottle, or rotella and many other brands in the tranny..

I personally run rotella in both sides, never had a problem.

there is a transmission oil check bolt on the side of the motor, it has a phillips head on it, but also it's a hex, i use the hex with a socket because the phillips can strip easy. you take that plug out and fill the tranny until oil starts coming out of it, then put the plug back in and you're good.

Lquad71
02-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by yfm250rider

Motor oil is fine in the transmission side, it is an additive known as molybdenum that you cant put in the tranny side because that will gum up the clutch. some motor oils have moly in them so just make sure it doesnt if you put motor oil in the tranny side.

yfm250rider
02-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by 2001400exrida

there is a transmission oil check bolt on the side of the motor, it has a phillips head on it, but also it's a hex, i use the hex with a socket because the phillips can strip easy. you take that plug out and fill the tranny until oil starts coming out of it, then put the plug back in and you're good. [/B]

i was unware that a certain chemical messed it up someone told me that so better save than sorry and forgot about the over flow bolt
javascript:smilie(':rolleyes:')

CJM
02-08-2013, 02:13 PM
So long as the oil is wet clutch safe its fine.

mad4106
02-08-2013, 07:00 PM
I found a nice lil video in YouTube that showed me how to change the oil and tranny oil I put rotella 15w 40 on both sudes