PDA

View Full Version : question about wiring to

2001400exrida
02-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Hey guys quick question I just picked up a 400 and noticed that the battery has a red wire going to the negative And a black wire going to the positive. I went to plug a trickle charger in and use the wire color and then realized it was sparking. And then looked at the battery and realized I had it backwards. But I have the negative on a red wire in the positive on a black wire is this right? It is turning over and it was like this when I got it

AtvKid4Eva
02-06-2013, 08:33 PM
whichever wire is bolted to the frame is the negative, regardless of the color. The other is positive coming from the solenoid. The previous owner must of replaced them with whatever wire he could get and ignored the color.

2001400exrida
02-07-2013, 05:43 AM
Thanks! Yeah it looks like he just used some power wire. I have a wiring harness that I put on from an old 400 its all good now. Quad turns over and runs but now im getting issues like its falling on its face. Not jetting because this thing is bone stock. Im gonna try the cdi first...what do u guys think? The guy i bought it from said it just started doing this one day, so i know it's not fuel related. I'm gonna start cheap with the CDI, do you think it could be the coil or the stator if the CDI does not fix it?

2001400exrida
02-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Got it running good. It ticks louder than normal at idle I assume valves need adjusted so im gonna check that first. It doesn't clank as loud when revving but at idle is pretty loud

Damm, i set the valves, they were really close to spec, i only had to adjust one a little bit. It's still ticking loud at idle, any idea? could be cam chain possibly? this a bone stock motor on an 01 so it's hard telling what might need replaced in there, but it doesn't smoke.

i picked it up for $300 so i'm trying to make it my trail beater so i can keep some hours off my other machines.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/rschaef83/2013-02-07_15-07-44_484_zps065f6513.jpg

not a bad deal right?

2001400exrida
02-11-2013, 10:58 AM
alright guys, got her running good, i opened the carb and somebody had a 190 mj in there, so that explains the huge flat spot at full throttle, it was running way too rich! i put a 170 in and gained a lot more power back.

I'm going to try a tensioner and new cam chain in hopes that i can get rid of this tick. Does anybody happen to have a used tensioner or chain laying around that they want to get rid of for cheap?

Stroisch400ex
02-11-2013, 01:34 PM
looks pretty good shape. wish i could find one that cheap.