PDA

View Full Version : Explain teams to me

rf928
02-06-2013, 08:15 AM
I'm from Canada, where we all are about 100 people that show up at our own series we built, and have a blast. We can all ride for 30 mins if we are in one class, and an hour if we are in two. Not really much support or anything, just a fun weekend series.

I understand with the economy and everything that the factories are pretty well done, I sure hope to see those teams back some time but that leads me to the question: are any of the pros making a living at this? Is anyone being payed? I'm just old enough to drive and want to try and make a push for racing on my own but I just wanted to ask if there are any "teams" left, and if there are, how do they work? I have no clue how they would work, would they supply a quad or something?

E: this meaning ANY series, east or west, woods or mx

Longdong
02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
The quad is the cheapest part of racing at a national level. It's all the other stuff that get you. $12,000 in fuel, wear and tear on truck and trailer, time off work, hotels if needed, medical bills, tools, gate and entery fees, ect. That the stuff that adds up.

chronicsmoke
02-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by rf928
I'm from Canada, where we all are about 100 people that show up at our own series we built, and have a blast. We can all ride for 30 mins if we are in one class, and an hour if we are in two. Not really much support or anything, just a fun weekend series.

I understand with the economy and everything that the factories are pretty well done, I sure hope to see those teams back some time but that leads me to the question: are any of the pros making a living at this? Is anyone being payed? I'm just old enough to drive and want to try and make a push for racing on my own but I just wanted to ask if there are any "teams" left, and if there are, how do they work? I have no clue how they would work, would they supply a quad or something?

E: this meaning ANY series, east or west, woods or mx

Where are you from? Your weekend series sounds like a blast! not in Ontario, are ya?

rf928
02-06-2013, 05:08 PM
The quad is the cheapest part of racing at a national level. It's all the other stuff that get you. $12,000 in fuel, wear and tear on truck and trailer, time off work, hotels if needed, medical bills, tools, gate and entery fees, ect. That the stuff that adds up.

Yeah I figure that, the parts and stuff ain't. To be honest, I am actually in the process of writing apps for the iPhone to keep me racing. A tractor/truck pull game and a simple arcade game.

I meant like are there any teams left out there that have quads looking for riders? If I could get to the track and have all the insurance and everything covered could I find someone?

Where are you from? Your weekend series sounds like a blast! not in Ontario, are ya?

Alberta. ATV Triple crown, I run a 3 year old built blaster, the fastest rider out of the series was winning Yamaha Quad-X Pro Am class. Hopefully I can keep racing! I love it

TrapZ400
02-06-2013, 09:26 PM
As far as health insurance I don't think any team really has that covered . I have heard that most of the riders that are on teams in sx and mx on bikes have to provide there own health insurance programs. On the atv side I highly doubt that the teams pay for health insurance.

Back to your original question, there are teams out there . If you are racing a local series there will all ways be a local shop that will make a team . Some will provide a full ride with quads, parts, travel expenses, and maybe salary/bonuses. Most will give you a discount on stuff.

On the national atv racing level there aren't any true factory oem teams anymore. Some manufactures may give a lot of support to teams and some may not. It all depends on how much money the manufacturers can make or gain off of supporting a team.

I think in the near future atv/ dirtbike teams will be mostly funded by out side sponsors . Rather than oems/manufactures funding the bill, outside sponsors will pay for the the majority. To a lot of OEMs racing is such a small part of the company. It is mainly an ego thing, they want to be the best. Racing is not where oems sell bikes/quads . Don't get me wrong it does help but the majority of sales doesn't come from racing.

On the positive side, with Mountain Dew becoming the title sponsor of the 2013 atv motocross national championship series, I think it will bring a lot of exposure to the sport. With a name like mtn dew being apart of the series will attract more outside sponsors. Mtn dew is a huge brand and I give them major props for believing in atv racing!

Another thing that i think will help grow the atv industry is if the atv mx nationals include a quad terrain series to the atv mx series . Just like the wpsa series . More people are interested in utility/ 4x4 atvs than sport quads. And by including them both in one event will boost sales .

rf928
02-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Yeah my thoughts exactly on that. I was thinking, up here you are not an amateur if you have been payed to race. Does that mean if I out sourced someone... Say CAT to sponsor me, and they payed my travel expenses and stuff would that still make me an amateur?

I guess racing isn't something one can make a living at, I even briefly pondered going full force racing bikes but with all the satellite teams folding I would have to work so hard, and the family would have to sacrifice too much.

Like you say, Mountain Dew is great! I miss the days of full ATVision episodes, featuring all the factory teams and everything. Maybe we can get back to there some day

bbender85
02-07-2013, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by rf928

I meant like are there any teams left out there that have quads looking for riders? If I could get to the track and have all the insurance and everything covered could I find someone?

considering wimmer and creamer won championships and soon thereafter didn't have rides.. no. or guys like cody janssen who totally dominated the pro am field and was looking for a ride at the end of the year for this year. it's tough!

rf928
02-07-2013, 11:01 AM
That's what I was thinking..

Is that Stadium truck series still running quads?

wfo4rv
02-07-2013, 06:41 PM
not quads that are pricey its this list.

motorhome - 100k
trailer -6k
gas every trip - 400 bucks
matinence 1000 a year

actual quad cost 6,500

and im by no means a national rider

muddy400EX
02-07-2013, 07:59 PM
unless you are an insanely fast bike rider, racing is a pipe dream. you will spend loads of money and have nothing to show for it

i know the top quad guys are probably doing decent, but it dies a little more every year

sport quads don't sell much anymore, everyone wants sxs and utility quads.

i don't see me ever switching to the sport-utilty craze for trail riding, there huge, heavy, and even the big 800's and 1000's don't feel any faster than my 450

01boneless
02-07-2013, 10:49 PM
You ever here the sayin "you got to have money to make money" thats pretty much this case other then the fact that your chances of making money at it is slim to none unless your a superbeast and then you still have to travel and find the right hook ups. but here how I would put it "you have toi have money and lots of it to even race"

rf928
02-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Yeah... I can't see me making a living riding quads, or anyone else for that matter. I hope can am keeps their program out, sure it helps guys like me.

Guess I better save up!

KingpinsEx
02-09-2013, 06:41 PM
There is no future or chance of making a living riding atvs if that is your question. Look at guys like Cody Gibson, totally dominate and no ride. Even top guys like Upperman are struggling. Racing is basically an expensive, but rewarding experience. The way I look at it, your fortunate if you have the "money to waste". If we didn't spend money on this it would be something else...

The problem with getting any serious help as an amateur is that you gotta be fast to get it. And you need money to be fast at that level. So the guys that end up getting the help are the ones who don't need it.

rf928
02-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks for clearing that up

sangheraent
02-10-2013, 12:51 AM
The only way to make a little bit of money racing is by starting off with a lot of money.

shoot josh upperman one of the top guys with a well known team says in a few of his interviews that he would love to get on a factory team and not have to work anymore.

I got serious into racing for a couple years I practiced 3-4 times a week raced 1-2 a week got pretty damn good and fast. Ended up broke and basically hating the sport I put so much pressure on myself to win that when I got a top 5 finish I went home angry. Took 2 years off after that.

Now I just ride for fun and go home with a big smile on my face as long as I finish. but winning is still great.

Honestly sponsors look for someone who is going to give them the most exposure. if you never win a race but go to every track day and ride and talk to a ton of people all the time because your social you'll probably do pretty well.

Im a 2 stroke riding indian guy I stick out like a sore thumb not hard to get sponsors.