PDA

View Full Version : jeff@quadshop...cr250/ex hybrid?

"BLAHH"300!!
03-14-2003, 12:50 PM
hey jeff or marty, or anyone that know's really.
i found a good deal on a cr250 dirtbike. i havn't seen the bike, and i don't know the year. i was wondering if i could wedge that motor into my 300ex frame. then i'd sale the rest of it for other parts. i'm not too familiar with dirtbikes, so i have a few questions.

is this motor 2 stroke?
if so, what keeps this cr250r motor from being a trx 250r motor.
(it is cr250r right?)
is it liquid cooled?
could i get the motor, radiator, and pipe routed to work in the chassis. (withwhat pipe, trx, or cr?
i know you'll say get a 250 or 400 chassis, but i don't have one, and i'd re-enforce the 300's frame.
what are the pro's and cons of doing this.
what should i expect from the engine's output.
would it be weak in the atv chassis.
where would it put me in a drag aginst 300's and 400/250r's?

the bike's just sittin' there. me and a few guys talked about it last night at the bar, and it sounded like a good idea, (but doesn't everything discussed at a bar "sound" like a good idea?
from what i hear, it's in good shape, cranks easy, runs nice, and he only wants a few hundred for the whole bike.
..(tryin to build his lt250r back up.)

thnx,
later TBONE

"BLAHH"300!!
03-14-2003, 12:54 PM
and any other things i need to know about

AtvMxRider
03-14-2003, 01:10 PM
It going to shake your teeth out.:blah YEs it is a 2 storke and they are totally different than a trx 250r. Anything can be made to work with enough time and patience but you have to consider the cost if it would be just worth buying a 250r from the start.

"BLAHH"300!!
03-14-2003, 01:21 PM
not counter balanced?....explain that to me man.
i get the basics of it, but i don't understand enugh..
why does it shake. at low rpm's or all the way through.?

why would it cost so much?..i'll have a complete CR roller to part out...i'd just need to make mounts for the motor, and radiator and stuff right?......why would it cost so much...

bradley300
03-14-2003, 04:53 PM
yes, its a two stoke, expect power in the 50/60 hp range, and it is water cooled. r's and 400's will not stand a chance. it will rattle your teeth out because the motor has nothing to COUNTER BALANCE the reciprocating motion of the piston. this would be a bad machine if you cut cut down the vibes via rubber motor mounts and the like. i would say the hardest part of the conversion would be finding a pipe to fit b/c niether cr or trx pipes will work, one will have to be custom made.

300excrazy98
09-05-2005, 06:46 PM
i know this thread is just a tad bit old...lol:D but i am very interested in doing this conversion. any body else what to shed some light on this topic? and i used the search button so if anybody was thinking about saying stuff about it....

rancid
09-05-2005, 06:56 PM
find a company like cpi to build you a pipe, pull the crank and have it balanced that will help a little and find a real hard rubber to isolate the engine, motormount bolts from the frame. and with all that it will still shake but not to bad.

450robot
09-05-2005, 07:09 PM
be careful with rubber mounts my freind

make sure they are stiff rubber, and not on the softer side

if you get them just a little bit to soft, when you rev your motor, or go hard on the throttle, it will cause the motor to warp to the side, putting massive amounts of stress on the sprockets, chain, and most importantly, the sprocket shaft on the motor

and thats the last thing you want to snap