PDA

View Full Version : 2006+ Swingarm/Axle question

trx300exRDR
02-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Ok guys its been awhile, but I recently ran into a decent deal on a 2005 yfz 450 with a title for about $1200 bucks (traded a bike for it that I had next to no $ into). My question it, previous owner said that it had a 2006 swingarm and axle in it (but he was a bit off the wall). Well I ordered swingarm bearings and axle bearings the other day not thinking the 05 and 06 are supposedly different. How can I tell if I have a 2004-05 rear end or a 2006+ rear end before I tear open the packages of bearings. Thanks in advance.

Buttermilk
02-07-2013, 02:33 PM
The 06+ swingers are of a round housing style (aka Honda). The 04/05 swingers utilize a sliding axle housing, meaning that the axle housing slides forward or rearward, without rotating, to adjust the chain.

The 04/05 style will have two bolts that run parrallel with the axle thru the housing to keep the housing from moving. There will also be on each side of the swinger just ahead of the axle a bolt/nut mechanism that is used to "tighten" up the chain. One on each side.

The 06+ style uses 4 pinch bolts behind the axle that when loosened up allow the housing to be rotated to adjust the chain.

Do a google search and look for images. Be real easy to spot.

Regards,

Rog