PDA

View Full Version : Potato gun?!

426kidz
02-03-2013, 01:56 PM
wanna make a potato gun... i see how they make them anyone make a cool one?:D :macho

TacicalRedneck
02-03-2013, 04:39 PM
I made one few years ago- big pvc pipe with cab on one end reduces down on the other end into longer barrel. Grill lighter wire on inside of therw through capped end. Hairspray or ether down barrel, ram tater down. Push button. Boom. Dry fire it and she's also a flame thrower

Kickstarts-suck
02-03-2013, 05:57 PM
I made one 5 years ago. It was alot of fun.

Im going to make another now :p

426kidz
02-03-2013, 06:28 PM
yeah im gonna make one for sure lol sounds too fun!

Langbolt
02-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Isn't it AMAZING how a little Squirt of V05 Hairspray will fire a Potato well over 100yds!!!!

Becareful were ya fire it off!

The Authorities consider it a Weapon....and will charge you with Discharging a weapon on Private property....etc..etc..

But what a blast you'll have doin' it!

:devil:

Tommy Warren
02-03-2013, 09:07 PM
I used a bbq lighter with a propane torch.....the propane fires it pretty good

wilkin250r
02-04-2013, 12:15 AM
The air powered guns might not be as "cool" as the explosive fuel, and take much longer between firing, but they are WAY more powerful.

If your average hairspray or propane spudgun can throw a potato 200 yards, it's easily possible to build an air powered gun to throw a potato 500 yards, and if you really spent time and money on the design, it's possible to approach the sound barrier and throw a potato well over half a mile.

zyoung04
02-04-2013, 02:32 AM
This was a specialty of the clan I used run around with not long ago. We had both hair spray and air type. The air one was lethal we plum destroyed a 80s caddy in a field with. We got brave and stuck I think a 2 5/8" ball hitch in it. It went in the drivers side thru the console and out the passenger side and god knows where it went after that. That air cannon was a beast.

I also know a guy who has air powered golf ball shooter. He says est distance is well over a half mile. Who needs a barrett 50cal? Lol

chucked
02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
I made 2, they were sweet, sounds like a damn cannon. Used multiple ways to ignite. First I used one of those twist flint sparker things used in coleman lamps, then a grill ignitor, then With the last one I just used a 1/2" hole that I either put one of those long wand lighters in it, or lit a map gas torch and passed the flame over the hole.

chucked
02-04-2013, 09:16 AM
I just remembered my first one blew apart... I had an air fitting on it. One time I had the hairspray in it, sealed it then hooked my air to it to see if I could get some pressure then ignited it. Blew apart...

blacknblue#2
02-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by zyoung04
This was a specialty of the clan I used run around with not long ago. We had both hair spray and air type. The air one was lethal we plum destroyed a 80s caddy in a field with. We got brave and stuck I think a 2 5/8" ball hitch in it. It went in the drivers side thru the console and out the passenger side and god knows where it went after that. That air cannon was a beast.

I also know a guy who has air powered golf ball shooter. He says est distance is well over a half mile. Who needs a barrett 50cal? Lol

You missed the best one. when we had the air powered one mounted to the work bench.

Josh Whitt: Johnny see how far across bobbys field it will go with the garage door open

Johnny cracks the valve and splat it explosed the second it come out of the barrel all over overythinng

Johnny: g***ammit Whitt why did you stuff it full of Sh**, Clean it up before dad or papaw gets up here.

For those of you who dont know this josh whitt, Well your lucky, Put nothing past him

ben300
02-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by zyoung04

my dads best friend, rest his soul, made a "golf ball" gun when i was a kid and would bring it to holiday get to gethers and cook outs adn such. it was a a piece of steel pipe, welded shut at the end, that was about the diameter of the ball. he tapped a hole in the top and would put a winchester 209 primer in it ahd had a metal tap action taht would set off the primer...

he would use aobut half of a 12ga shot gun shell of black powerder, cut a piece of old tshirt or cloth for the patch and then would ram the ball down in.

if you didn not have a back stop to put it up against, it would literally take 3-5 guys to hold, and man would it launch a golf ball! just like you described, well towards a half mile.

what was even cooler to do was instead of a using a golf ball, use washer for a like a 1/4" or m6 bolt and then shoot it at things and watch the destruction:devil:

KKiowaTJ
02-04-2013, 07:16 PM
I make objects all the time to shoot out of a air blower anymore. Its fun shoot people in the arse from across the shop with as much psi as you want lol.

We used to swab the barrel with vasaline jelly to get more distance. We used to shoot spuds, Hedge balls and golf balls all were fun. Crisco also works for more blast distance.

Any one ever use coffee creamer and gun powder in a bucket?

wilkin250r
02-04-2013, 10:31 PM
I want to make a low-powered gun, about the size of a golf ball, and shoot pealed hard-boiled eggs.

440racer66
02-04-2013, 10:45 PM
id leave the shell on it! like copper plated bullets less fouling! and i would think it would keep em intact otherwise i think you would be making egg salad. i have a potato gun sittin in my garage collecting dust i need to get it out a shoot it again with ammo out the roof!

ben300
02-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by 440racer66
id leave the shell on it! like copper plated bullets less fouling! and i would think it would keep em intact otherwise i think you would be making egg salad. i have a potato gun sittin in my garage collecting dust i need to get it out a shoot it again with ammo out the roof!

id agree on the egg shells. without them, i could see the egg coming apart down the barrell, causing it to loose velocity, distance, and accuracy

rf928
02-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Seen 200psi coming out of an old propane tank, as well as 100psi on a potato. The 100 shoots it way further because it keeps the potato intact. A guy in the county has a massive propane tank he fills to about 500psi and shoots pumpkins out. That is quite a sight

Thumpin440ex
02-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Made my first one about 15 years ago. Def had fun with it. Have made a few since, even a little one that was no more then 3 ft long, that little basterd would still thump a tator out to 100 yards no problem. Had them wrapped in metail HVAC tape to hold the chambers and barell's together. Used a bit of brake clean in them, but after blowing a few end caps off decided to go back to hair spray. Good times, just don't get stupid with what your fueling them with.. Bad things will happen.. Buddy almost lost his sight from one, not good LOL

John

426kidz
02-09-2013, 11:25 PM
I started the thread and never came back! sorry, anyone have any pics of cool ones they have custom built or are they all pretty much the same? I have too get on this! I need one before summer lol:blah:

TacicalRedneck
02-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by KKiowaTJ
I make objects all the time to shoot out of a air blower anymore. Its fun shoot people in the arse from across the shop with as much psi as you want lol.
?

Bad idea!! My buddy had found some nails that sealed the air hose.... you know the rest of the story. He stood there laughing like a maniac shooting nails across the shop..

KKiowaTJ
02-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by TacicalRedneck
Bad idea!! My buddy had found some nails that sealed the air hose.... you know the rest of the story. He stood there laughing like a maniac shooting nails across the shop..

I dont get too crazy. You can and i have pumped it up i shot through the roof steel and a truck tailgate. Its costly and i never laugh until the person(s) are ok and laughing too. It can get out of hand quickly.

81dasher81
02-16-2013, 10:11 PM
i made one with my dad a while back, we used 1 1/2" steel tubing for the barrel andsome 4" square tubing (both 3/16 or better wall) for the chaimber, we welded a stop in so that we wouldnt push the potato too far.. as for accelerants we used propane