PDA

View Full Version : Best cam for 05 450

jakesdad6
02-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Going to rebuild my blown up 450 going to do the oil mod and make it a true 450 by changing crank but I heard there a better cam in a certain year dirtbike or quad 450 was wonder which one it is and what would I hav to do to install not looking to change a munch of stuff but while I am rebuilding it figure if there a better one that won't sackerfice reliability then y not. Or do you prefer just buying a aftermarket hot cams???

Buttermilk
02-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Personally, I would not put any cam in except the stock intake cam unless I had a well ported (and by well ported, I mean by a shop that really knows what they are doing with the YFZ... and can get good power out of it) head.

The stock cam is quite good, and hard to beat with aftermarket cams on motors that can't support a more radical cam.

However, having said the above, there are a couple of cams that "might" work in a stock ported head. They may also give up some bottom to mid power as well.

The Hot Cams Stg 1 has a lot of duration with very little increase in lift. That cam might make a bit more power from 8000 RPM and up, but do so at the expense of some bottom to mid power.

The same might be said of the WEB 963.

MMAD has a drop in cam (Warpspeed intake cam) that is said to gain power everywhere over the stocker but I've personally yet to see a dyno chart showing that it does.

I highly suggest running the stockers until you get to a poiint that the cams actually become the bottle neck in making power.

I've got three YFZ's all with some level of modification done to the engine. Only one has aftermarket cams in it. That one is running WEB 963's, and making 62+ HP.

The other two are in the low to mid 50's and still running stock cams, with the exhaust cam in the "modded" position.

Regards,

Rog

jakesdad6
02-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Buttermilk pm sent

wheeliedad
02-09-2013, 02:03 PM
When my 04 was stock, i ran a hot cams stage 2 along with a hmf pipe and it gave it a lot more power. No work was done to the head. Now that i am having head work done along with titanium valves and double springs, i wll be running a web cam. You will definately notice a big difference with the hot cams stage 2 cam with a pipe. Remember to rejet the carb and remove your air box lid.

Buttermilk
02-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Yfz central has some cam test data posted including dyno charts of various cams in a ported YFZ.

Some good info.