PDA

View Full Version : Heading back to WV Hatfield/McCoy

OldGuyonaQuad
02-02-2013, 10:02 AM
After much debate we've decided to make our next trip a visit to Hatfield / McCoy's Indian Ridge trail. Indian Ridge has connector trails to Pinnacle and the new trail system Pocahontas.

We are going either the 3rd or 4th week in April. That date will be firmed up in the next few weeks. The only other thing we need to figure out is if we are taking the truck or motor home. Lodging rates at the Ashland resort are reasonable.

Anyone interested let me know you are more then welcome to hook up with us.

Marc, Lonnie Pete? I know Keil hates H/Mc so I didnt ask.

We are going to pack up that Wednesday, leave by 6am Thursday. Ride each system on Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Pack up Sunday and come home early Monday.

Next big trip will be Utah.

CJM
02-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Not sure if I will make it Tom.

Just got back from the superbowl so kinda tapped out right now.

OldGuyonaQuad
02-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Wow that's a good time. I have never been but it's on my bucket list, you know you could have waited until next year and let the super bowl come to you ;) .

This is probably a $300-$400 trip at the most food, lodging, gas and permit.

Going either last weekend in April or first weekend in May. Pack up Wednesday leave Thursday ride Friday Saturday & Sunday at a different trail system each day. Pack up Sunday night leave early Monday.

Pete texted me that he is in let me know if you change your mind as you are always welcome to hook up with us. The two person cabins are only $60 a night if you don't mind using the bath house. Park models are about $140 but they sleep 6.

CJM
02-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Might be possible, we shall see as time goes on.

I won tix but the taxi's and food killed me. 60/per ride basically from hotel to downtown. Otherwise was all paid for.

Wish i coulda won tix for next years and giants were playing too. Coulda drove to the stadium lol.

lonnie1977
02-06-2013, 05:09 PM
I'll see what I can do with the baby on the way. I would REALLY like to get a trip in before my future riding buddy comes. My birthday is in April so maybe I can work that angle.

OldGuyonaQuad
02-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Might be possible, we shall see as time goes on.

I won tix but the taxi's and food killed me. 60/per ride basically from hotel to downtown. Otherwise was all paid for.

Wish i coulda won tix for next years and giants were playing too. Coulda drove to the stadium lol.

Wait you won Super Bowl tickets and this is the first we are hearing about it? No zomg I just won Super bowl tickets post? So how did you win them, that's awesome & the Giants suck (2 lucky recent rings and all) ;) .

Lonnie you go guy, work any angle you can..it's your birthday, I won't be able to ride as often once the little guy is born....and congrats again in advance.

As of tonight he have one spot in the motor home but that could be filled tomorrow night. I've learned that until they show it's always tentative (except for Pete aka Zeo88 who has sent multiple texts confirming). I have another buddy taking his son that is getting a cabin but looking to upgrade to a park model or you could always pitch a tent so you have multiple options. We are staying at the Ashland resort. It's close to the connector trail for Indian Ridge. The rates are reasonable and they have free cable & wireless internet.

One caveat, if this guy that might confirm tomorrow goes, we were considering pushing it back one week to the first weekend in May, would that be at all an issue in your availability? We're flexible but want to firm up the date and reservations in the next week or so.

Come on Marc you know you want to go, scrape and save. you know you could have scalped those tickets and paid for you and your friends to go to Glamis instead right? Just saying :D

CJM
02-06-2013, 06:18 PM
yea yea I know Tom!

Paid 10 bucks for a raffle ticket for friends sons pop warner football team. Guy calls me like 3 months later and rattles off all the stuff I can go to, daytona, indy 500, ncaa, etc. Stops like mid sentence and goes "you want the super bowl right?" So yea, NOrleans, super bowl, everything paid for but taxi and food-which wasnt cheap. Im also tapped out from a major car repair too.

By may I might be able to do it, IDK will have to see. Probably wont know till like 2 weeks before. If I do go gonna try and get my buddy to go with as well.

OldGuyonaQuad
02-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by CJM
yea yea I know Tom!

Paid 10 bucks for a raffle ticket for friends sons pop warner football team. Guy calls me like 3 months later and rattles off all the stuff I can go to, daytona, indy 500, ncaa, etc. Stops like mid sentence and goes "you want the super bowl right?" So yea, NOrleans, super bowl, everything paid for but taxi and food-which wasnt cheap. Im also tapped out from a major car repair too.

By may I might be able to do it, IDK will have to see. Probably wont know till like 2 weeks before. If I do go gonna try and get my buddy to go with as well.

I'm guessing it was for two? Did you take a buddy or your dad? IDK either way if someone takes me to a game I always get the tolls, parking and first round. You shouldn't have had to spend a cent unless they actually sent you solo.

Anyway the dates are now firm (unless Lonnie has to go in April) we are loading up Wednesday 5/1/13 leaving leaving Thursday 5/2/13 @ 6am. Riding Fri/Sat/Sun load up Sunday night and drive home Monday 5/6/13.

We have four in the motor home but we do have access to an enclosed trailer that carry up to six machines. If you guys want (Marc, Lonnie & buddy ) you can ride with us for half w/e the total gas and tolls are per share (maybe $60 each ) then get a cabin for $120 each (based on dbl occ) and another $30 for food total is $210. Kick back and party the way to and fro. Tents sites available for even less and you could always use our gas grill. The cabins come with a gas grill and fridge but no bath rooms you have to use the bath house for SSS ;). Or follow us down/ meet us there w/e.

I hope you guys can make it. We have 6 committed and two more possibles.

CJM
02-09-2013, 05:42 PM
We kinda split it, which i felt was fair.

Im not sure if I can commit to any date around that time. I ust looked and its right around final exam week for me.

OldGuyonaQuad
02-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Reservation was made yesterday @ the Ashland resort for Thursday 5/2 - Mon 5/6.

We have 3 in the motor home and another 3 or 4 getting a cabin.

Marc you should try and hook up with Lonnie, he is trying to go for a few of the days as he can't make the whole trip. If you guys left Friday after work it's a 7hour 48 minute drive (6 hrs the way Lonnie drives :) ). Tent sites with electric are $30 a night. Figure 70 each for gas and tolls 30 for the site 50 for the permit (good for a year we are coming back in Oct) and 30 for food you can pull it off for less the $200. You guys are more then welcome to chow with us and use our grill and amenities. I know you have finals to contend with with as well. Either way you have to get down there one of these days this place is your kind of riding and no coal dust. ;)

Pete so glad you are coming and that you decided to leave the night before. You can crash at my brothers house, it's just him and the wife. We are going to hit the local Walmart Wednesday night after we load up. What do you like and dislike to eat?

We were thinking of having lunch meat on the way down, doing burgers & dogs on the grill Thursday night once we get unpacked, spaghetti & meatballs one night, Steak and taters maybe eat out one night. Breakfast bagels, cereal, pancakes, omelets. We have the full kitchen plus a nice griddle.

Things to bring:
Blanket & pillow. Two sets of riding gear. Back pack. You will need it to carry food and water. The one day we go to Pinnacle creek
its 25 miles just to get from our camp site to Pinnacle so we wont be coming back for lunch that day. BTW the camp ground is right in the middle of the Indian Ridge trail system so we don't even have to ride through town (which is pretty cool to be able to do).

Count down is on 73 days until its time to load.

CJM
02-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Still got approx 2.5 months to figure it out Tom. If I can get a few people to go with me Im sure we will figure something out. Wouldnt mind tagging along with Lonnie either. Id happily pay some coin for a hotel just be have the luxury of sleeping in a bed and having a nice shower anytime.

I have to see what the final exam setup is, sometimes they give you a week off to study inbetween

OldGuyonaQuad
02-17-2013, 05:45 PM
They have cabins for $60 a night. Two twins beds, fridge, tv, microwave, grill and fire ring out front. Larger cabins and cottages with baths are available here is a link for the rates.

http://www.atvresort.com/ashland_rates.php

Nearest hotel is 1/2an hour away less a B&B that would be 2x the cabin cost with less privacy. The only thing they have for lodging are a few houses and a couple of these atv resorts. If you do come make sure you hit a Walmart before you get off 95. Anyway fingers crossed for ya and gl with the rest of your semester.

CJM
02-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks, really hoping I can figure something out.

lonnie1977
02-18-2013, 05:39 PM
I have to leave this open till the last min. with the wife being due June 1st. She's cool with it now but that could change by then. Marc if I go your more then welcome to ride with me. I can get 3 quads and camping gear in my trailer and one quad in the truck. I'm cool setting up camp in my trailer just need a place to park. I would likely leave Friday around noon and stay till Sunday. $60 a night for a room aint bad though.

CJM
02-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Lonnie, that actually sounds like it would work the best. I gotta see what my schedule is (wont know till a week or two before).

I might be able to get at least one other person to go with us to split the cost of a cabin at least. Real hot showers with a real bed imho is soo worth it.

We got time right now at least to plan it. Think Ill take the old 400ex and swap the link n shock out to run a full skid instead of the long travel setup I got now.

Blodg
02-21-2013, 08:17 PM
For those that have been there, what are your favorite trail systems? I am planning on 4 trips this year and H-M is one of them along with Wayne Nat'l Forest (OH), Wellsville (OH), and Silver Lake Sand dunes (MI). Oh, and maybe Hillsville PA also as even though it is out of state for me it is closer driving distance than Wellsville and Wayne.

As far as H-M I am also trying to decide between bringing one of the sport quads or maybe the 4 x 4. I enjoy riding the sport quads and if the trails allow you to haul ***, get some air, and rail some turns then that is what I would bring. If, however, many of the trails were real rocky or muddy and a slower pace then the utility might make more sense. Oldguy, it sounds like you have been there, any advice for another old guy?

OldGuyonaQuad
02-22-2013, 05:26 AM
Marc & Lonnie that sounds promising I really hope you guys can join us.

Blodg this is my second trip there. I only ride sport trax but there are a lot of trails @ H/Mc that are marked 4x with winch only so it might be fun to take a 4x if you have one.

also guys Ashland resort is $60 a night for a cabin with two bunks and and you have to use the bath house. Wild willy has cabins for $70 a night with private bath. I think it's right down the road from Ashland.

And again you guys are more then welcome to use our amenities and chow with us if you like.

CJM
02-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Yea, I still gotta see exactly when my finals are. If I can get by with not having any on friday I can leave that morning. Otherwise I gotta leave around 3pm which kinda sucks.

Might also have at least 1 other person joining us hopefully.

Might be worth staying somewhere where we got a real bathroom too. IDK. I dont care if I gotta sleep on the floor or whatever, but a real shower and not a bathhouse is damn nice sometimes!

OldGuyonaQuad
02-22-2013, 11:05 AM
The deluxe cottages are $160 a night plus $5 per head over 2. So that's not bad at all. They come with full kitchen & bath, bunk beds plus a queen and a couch. Sleeps up to 5. That wouldn't be too bad at all if you can split it three ways. I know you guys can't committ until the last minute but I would check on availability now. If not Wild Willy is down the road.

CJM
02-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the info Tom.

We shall have to see whats going on. I wish I knew when my final is :(

OldGuyonaQuad
02-22-2013, 01:47 PM
I will call and see how many vacancies they currently have and what their cancellation policy is.

OldGuyonaQuad
02-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Ok Ashland has nothing left but RV & tent sites.

I left a voice mail @ http://www.trailsheaven.com/businesses/detail/Wild_Willys_ATV_Rezort,184.aspx

he is about 3 miles from the trail head and this other place has two cabins left.

http://www.skylandatvretreat.com/

Cancellation is required within two weeks of date or lose your night deposit. I would make a reservation some where even if you just get a tent site.

CJM
02-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Hmm. Honestly Im shocked they are already out of sites and stuff. I dont mind riding around town however if it means I got a cabin or something and isnt exactly on the trail either.

lonnie1977
02-23-2013, 06:39 PM
My chances are looking slim. Wife is due June 1st and they might even move her date up a week. If i'm not here for that the wife will kill me.

CJM
02-23-2013, 07:13 PM
I hope it all works out for you Lonnie, but family does come first.

I gotta talk to my profs this week and see about when the finals are exactly. If I dont have one on friday Im in, if I do IDK.

OldGuyonaQuad
02-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Yea Lonnie nothing more important then that day bro. Maybe she goes late (both of mine were) unless they are planning on a C-section. Otherwise 3 weeks is a life time ;) for her anyway. Besides if this is your first she will be in labor for at least 12 hours that gives you plenty of time to get home. :D She will be cussing you the whole time weather you are there or not. The only thing worse then the labor is the after birth, warning you now look the other way :D. You can have some fun and tell the nurse you want the placenta because you want to sell it to Redkin yourself. ;)

Hopefully both of your schedules will allow you to make this trip. I will call Wild Willy today and there is a decent house for rent that's $150 a night for 3 people and goes to $200 for 4 people. I will try them both an let you know if they are available or not.

OldGuyonaQuad
02-24-2013, 10:35 AM
House is n/a and no vacancies @ Wild Willy's.

The skyland resort is the only one that currently has anything available other then a tent site. They have two cabins left one has 2 sets of bunk beds the other has 3 for about $75 a night. They have a full bath, mini fridge, microwave, coffee pot, tv, heat & ac. They want one nights deposit fully refundable up until two weeks prior to your stay. The only other option is a 1/2 hr drive to the nearest town for a hotel if available.

CJM
02-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Geez, they are already booked out the wazoo it seems.

Im gonna hafta find out when my finals are and do it. Maybe I can at least get a few people to go incase Lonnie cant so I can often some of the cost, otherwise its pointless for me to have an entire room to myself.

Zeo88
02-24-2013, 04:14 PM
We were thinking of having lunch meat on the way down, doing burgers & dogs on the grill Thursday night once we get unpacked, spaghetti & meatballs one night, Steak and taters maybe eat out one night. Breakfast bagels, cereal, pancakes, omelets. We have the full kitchen plus a nice griddle.

All sounds good to me. I can pick up any odd things or snacks that I like. How are we doing Beer? Is there places there to buy or do we haul a bunch down?

OldGuyonaQuad
02-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Wayne and I don't drink but Mike and my brother in law do. You can grab some the night before and or on the way down.

Zeo88
03-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Any plans for a pre-H/MC ride? Cabin fever is hitting me hard, nice Treverton ride would really hit the spot...

OldGuyonaQuad
03-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Zeo88
Any plans for a pre-H/MC ride? Cabin fever is hitting me hard, nice Treverton ride would really hit the spot...

Funny you should ask. Yes shooting for Sunday 4/14. This will be the tune up ride for H/Mc.

BTW we got a 6 x 16 trailer for free from a buddy of home. It's framed and single axle but nothing in the center. We are adding a second axle, boards and lights so we will have the trailer covered.

Marc how are you making out with school & finances?

CJM
03-06-2013, 09:25 PM
400ex isnt doing well. Im gonna fix it but right now its down. The R runs but I dont trust it long way from home.

Il have it fixed by next week at the latest. I found the dowel pin holding the cam in was just hanging out in there not in the hole and the cam chain is all kinked and not free. So R&R on that is easy.

As for school slipped my mind to ask when my last final will be. May not know till the very end but Id rather go down friday. I might be able to get the day changed for me if I explain Im going on vacation or something.

Still up in the air, which sucks. I hope theres somewhere to stay besides a tent lol.

OldGuyonaQuad
03-09-2013, 12:20 PM
53 days and counting.

Marc there is a hotel near Pocahontas so worse case scenario you guys could meet up with us at the connector if you can't get something near Indian Ridge.

I might be going for free. My cabinet rep rides and is trying to make in which case my whole trip would be comped from his company.

Trailer is coming along we just got the second axle, that will be mounted next week then just add lumber and running lights.

CJM
03-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Tom,

2 very large problems have come up:

1. The 450 needs attention, it could use a topend, valves and some other misc work

2. The 400 has decided after all these years to finally let go. The crank is going I think. Vibration is very bad even when just idling in neutral-rev it up and its horrible enough to shake your hands numb.

I replaced the timing chain cause it was all kinked up but nothing changed. Either Im going to tear it down or buy a used bottomend.

Dont think Ill be able to make it sadly :( No quad to ride, and I very much doubt I will have either repaired for awhile. the 450 does run but I wouldnt trust it that far from home. Maybe I will try for a trip late august/early sept or something. Should be cooler at that point and Ill have everything repaired by then.

:ermm: :( :cuss:

OldGuyonaQuad
03-10-2013, 09:22 AM
That's too bad Marc I know you really want to make this trip. If you can get someone to go with you as the time draws nearer we might have an extra machine with us. If our 4th drives down Friday I would have room to bring our extra machine. We will probably bring it either way if we have room just in case. It's an '03 400ex (of course) full skid no nerfs though. It has a slip on and it runs great. It was my first machine, I sold it to my brother when I bought my first '08. I will hit you and Lonnie up in a couple of weeks to see if there is any chance of you making it.

The passes are good until the end of the calendar year so we might go back down in early October.

CJM
03-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks Tom, IDK about borrowing a machine b/c if something happens I could never forgive myself ya know? Might be an option however IDK.

I think maybe a late sept/early october run might be a better choice. By then I should have at least one quad fixed. I took the 450 today and it rode pretty well but the valves need to be done for sure-once they are out its dang near impossible to start it cold lol and kicking sucks!), the 400 Im not sure wtf the deal is, gonna have a friend look at it in the next few weeks. But Im thinking bottomend is shot. If that is the case Im also gonna buy a sleeve and a new piston and go back to stock size with just hicomp.

We shall see how things play out, I do have almost 2 months to sort it out.

OldGuyonaQuad
03-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Yea I got ya, the 4th spot just got taken by my brothers friend anyway but I will check back in a few weeks anyway.

CJM
03-10-2013, 09:16 PM
I hear ya. We shall see what happens as time goes on. Just a run of bad luck :(

OldGuyonaQuad
03-24-2013, 11:20 AM
32 days till it's time to load up

Marc things improving any on your end?

Lonnie any change in your status?

If you do decide to go and can't find ample lodging you are more then welcome to set up a tent or trailer on our site.

Pete I haven't heard from you so I assume you are still in.

Our trailer is coming along, second axle is on all we have to do is weld the fenders on and we can start laying some wood ;) .

Starting to get excited, sure hope you guys can make it.

Nice little video of connector between Pinnacle Creek & Indian Ridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1W8Zip2ZKQ

Zeo88
03-26-2013, 03:27 PM
All is still good here. If my trailer is not needed might just head out Thursday from home and meet you guys there.

OldGuyonaQuad
03-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Zeo88
All is still good here. If my trailer is not needed might just head out Thursday from home and meet you guys there.

Pete we were counting on you being our 4th in the motorhome to split the gas. You going to drive down now? You can still come early Thursday morning to my brothers and we will load you up but I could have filled your spot for the ride down with my brother in law and nephew had I known. Really kinda screws us up by doing that now.

CJM
03-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Very much doubt I will make it Tom. 450 still needs attention and 400 Im not like the noises its making and havent really checked more into it. Might just sell the 400 and concentrate on the 450 IDK.

I think we should plan for an sept/oct trip. Will be cooler around that time and easier to find lodging maybe.

Zeo88
03-26-2013, 09:14 PM
No problem Tom. Can keep things as is. I'll come down Thursday morning then.

OldGuyonaQuad
03-27-2013, 05:24 AM
Pete that's cool. Try to get there by 5:30 if you can so we can leave by 6.

Marc yea I kinda figured that you wouldn't be able to but I know you really want to check it out. We are going to go back probably the first or second weekend in October since the permits are good until the end of the calendar year.

If I had time to do the work to this back up machine I'm buying I would have no problem letting you use it for the weekend but I know there is no way it will be ready by then.

I will start setting up the October trip when we get back so lodging isn't an issue.

CJM
03-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Sounds good Tom, enjoy your trip!

OldGuyonaQuad
03-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks Marc,

Pete I sent you a pm

Also if I didn't mention already bring a blanket and pillow, we have sheets. Riding three days I would bring two sets of riding gear. They do have washers and dryers there but I don't machine dry my gear.

Let's hope it starts to dry and warm up for the next 4 + weeks.

CJM
03-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Tom, hopefully by either late august or sept/oct we can make another trip. I just started a new job so I got some cash flow thankfully.

Also friend of mine mentioned going to h/mc around the same time and offered to pull trailer with his F350 :)

OldGuyonaQuad
03-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Last weekend in September would work great for me.

CJM
03-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Still up in the air for exact dates, id prefer end of summer tbh myself.

OldGuyonaQuad
03-31-2013, 07:31 AM
Trust me Marc August down there with your helmet on would be too stinking hot. We were roasting in June last time we went. Besides I have all of my big jobs hitting in August so I'm looking at Spt/Oct and the weather would be more agreeable for riding too.

CJM
03-31-2013, 07:55 AM
Ah so its not 40F down there in late sept/oct like here huh?

OldGuyonaQuad
03-31-2013, 10:43 AM
I assumed because we were in the mountains it would be much cooler but they get the same humidity as us and it's 8 hours closer to the equator.

CJM
03-31-2013, 11:23 AM
Good point. I think late sept/early oct trip would be best then.