PDA

View Full Version : 400ex with 450 carb just installed

Muddytrux
02-01-2013, 05:45 PM
ok so just did the mods required and bike starts great only issue i have is idle is to high which i will address later tonight but what would cause my header to glow red other then an obstruction which i know there isnt one.

JOHNDOE83
02-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Being to lean deffinetly will make the headers red, I have a 440 and with proper jetting not even mine will glow red.

High rough idle is also a sign of being to lean.

A 50 or 52 pilot will solve the red header issue, to make sure the main jet is right go bigg on jet sizes untill it sputters at wide open throttle then back down in jett sizes untill it fully revs out.

All this can be found at www.jetsrus.com in the FAQ section on their website.

Muddytrux
02-01-2013, 06:13 PM
ok sounds good i have a 50 pilot now and a 190 main, mods are 416 kit full big gun header and pipe k&n.

JOHNDOE83
02-01-2013, 06:18 PM
you might be getting to hot in the mid range section, try adjusting your needle richer.

190-50 should generally be fine for what you have, you deffinetly are running lean and getting to hot somewhere for sure.

try 3 turns out on the a/f screw and riching up the needle slightly, if you still get a lil red, maybe time for a oil cooler fan?

Muddytrux
02-01-2013, 06:22 PM
ok great will do that for sure thanx for the advice will let you know either way if it works

Blodg
02-01-2013, 07:28 PM
This is most likely an air leak due to the hot start not being sealed properly! That is why it is idling high as well as headers glowing red. The hot start plunger/internal components need to be inserted before it is sealed.

Muddytrux
02-01-2013, 08:47 PM
I got it figured out thanx for all the advice. and the hot start plug is very well sealed off. my entire issue was my idle screw not moving. some idiot decided to take vise grips to the tread which i found after i tried to lower the idle. runs like a champ in the garage now and will take it tomorrow on a test run.